Advertisments:

Sponsor Links:

Discount Legal Forms
Discounted Legal Texts

Manual Lifting

Workers Compensation Law Discussion

Manual Lifting

Postby Lyle » Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:01 am

There has been an issue brought up where I am employed as to what the maximum weight for lifting above one's head is. We have pointed out several times that what is safe for one person may not be safe for another. Our company has a weight limit for lifting of 40lbs, but they do not have a specific weight limit for lifting above the head. If you have a 5', 90lb. female lifting 40lbs above her head, and you have a 6', 190lb. male lifting 40lbs above his head, isn't it more likely for the female to have injury to her back or shoulder? Shouldn't there be some sort of limit of weight for lifting appoximately 5' off the ground for males and females and according to their weight and age? We have had a few injuries to the back and shoulder for females lifting above their head. Where can I get better info for this to present to my company?

ANSWER: Subject: manual lifting

: There has been an issue brought up where I am employed as to what the maximum weight for lifting above one's head is. We have pointed out several times that what is safe for one person may not be safe for another. Our company has a weight limit for lifting of 40lbs, but they do not have a specific weight limit for lifting above the head. If you have a 5', 90lb. female lifting 40lbs above her head, and you have a 6', 190lb. male lifting 40lbs above his head, isn't it more likely for the female to have injury to her back or shoulder? Shouldn't there be some sort of limit of weight for lifting approximately 5' off the ground for males and females and according to their weight and age? We have had a few injuries to the back and shoulder for females lifting above their head. Where can I get better info for this to present to my company?
Lyle

Manual Lifting

Postby oswald » Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:22 pm

:  Charlotte, my experience indicates that safe lifting depends on training and physical condition not sex.  I have had female employees that through good physical conditioning and intelligent body mechanics could out lift most males on a regular basis.  I have also had young male employees who felt a “macho” image was most important and suffered a lifting related injury within the first few days.  The goal of a good safety program should be to ensure that all employees have the training and tools necessary to perform their duties without risk of injury.  If you want more information on what is a “safe” lift I would refer you to the NIOSH(National Institute of Occupational Safety and Health) Publication:http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/docs/94-110/

However be advised as you will soon learn that almost each single lift is different and needs to be reviewed on an individual basis. If females were treated on other than an individual basis we would not see female fire fighters and/or police officers among others.  I would also caution that it is possible to find great problems by treating females differently than males given the current laws. You are concerned with finding employees and training them so that they may safely perform certain tasks without regard as to their sex.  If I can be of further assistance, please feel free to ask.

Michael Brown, CSP Retired

---------- FOLLOW-UP ----------

We have received some training on proper lifting, but my company expects everyone to lift without any problems regardless of age, how high you're lifting, etc... I really appreciate your answer. I did check into the site that you gave me and presented a copy of it to my employer. They weren't too happy. Should too heavy of boxes be flagged for a 2 person lift? We get a few that are, but we have so many others that weigh much more that aren't. I was just curious. I am just worried that someone is going to get seriously hurt because of the pressure we have put on us at work to be productive, be as good as the best, etc... It makes people like myself take chances for fear of getting into trouble for having to ask for help, which in turn brings my production down. I just have been at a lost as to how to get the proper answers that will benefit everyone. I appreciate your time.
oswald

Manual Lifting

Postby Attmore » Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:45 pm

There has been an issue brought up where I am employed as to what the maximum weight for lifting above one's head is. We have pointed out several times that what is safe for one person may not be safe for another. Our company has a weight limit for lifting of 40lbs, but they do not have a specific weight limit for lifting above the head. If you have a 5', 90lb. female lifting 40lbs above her head, and you have a 6', 190lb. male lifting 40lbs above his head, isn't it more likely for the female to have injury to her back or shoulder? Shouldn't there be some sort of limit of weight for lifting appoximately 5' off the ground for males and females and according to their weight and age? We have had a few injuries to the back and shoulder for females lifting above their head. Where can I get better info for this to present to my company?

ANSWER: Subject: manual lifting

: There has been an issue brought up where I am employed as to what the maximum weight for lifting above one's head is. We have pointed out several times that what is safe for one person may not be safe for another. Our company has a weight limit for lifting of 40lbs, but they do not have a specific weight limit for lifting above the head. If you have a 5', 90lb. female lifting 40lbs above her head, and you have a 6', 190lb. male lifting 40lbs above his head, isn't it more likely for the female to have injury to her back or shoulder? Shouldn't there be some sort of limit of weight for lifting approximately 5' off the ground for males and females and according to their weight and age? We have had a few injuries to the back and shoulder for females lifting above their head. Where can I get better info for this to present to my company?
Attmore

Manual Lifting

Postby Lorette » Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:58 pm

:  Charlotte, now you are talking about attitudes and those will not change overnight or easily.  Perhaps your employer does not fully understand what the true costs of a serious lifting injury are.  Back injuries are about the most expensive accidents a company can have.  And the costs can just go on, and on, and on, and on… .  For employees the same applies if you substitute the word pain for costs.  Yes, many back injuries can be cured given enough time and procedures but the there are those few.  At this point about all you can do is to keep referring related material to your employer and be thankful the employment situation is improving so that finding a different position with an employer with greater concern regarding safety is possible.  Beyond that there is little I can say other than to repeat the old “First Law of Safety Engineering – You Can’t Fix Stupid!”  If I can be of any additional assistance, please feel free to ask.

Michael Brown, CSP Retired
Lorette

Manual Lifting

Postby Estmund » Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:20 am

Subject: manual lifting

:   We have received some training on proper lifting, but my company expects everyone to lift without any problems regardless of age, how high you're lifting, etc... I really appreciate your answer. I did check into the site that you gave me and presented a copy of it to my employer. They weren't too happy. Should too heavy of boxes be flagged for a 2 person lift? We get a few that are, but we have so many others that weigh much more that aren't. I was just curious. I am just worried that someone is going to get seriously hurt because of the pressure we have put on us at work to be productive, be as good as the best, etc... It makes people like myself take chances for fear of getting into trouble for having to ask for help, which in turn brings my production down. I just have been at a lost as to how to get the proper answers that will benefit everyone. I appreciate your time.
Estmund

Return to Workers Compensation