Not logged in? Join one of the bigest Law Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: Tips for Achieving an Amicable Divorce

Advertisments:

Sponsor Links:

Discount Legal Forms
Discounted Legal Texts

Lump on horses stomach?

Discuss anything to do with property law - buying, selling property

Lump on horses stomach?

Postby winfrid12 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:53 pm

I had written a previous question and was told by a user to grow up, I was a phony of some sort. I used words such as "own", "visit", and claimed I had a "feeling". I live in NY so due to property space we board horses at a nearby stable, therefore I visit my horse. Also to me claiming "I had a feeling" to feel his stomach is just one of those gut feelings we got as people sometimes...Back to my question, I discovered a hard lump on my horses stomach today. It's on the right side, is about 3.5 inches across and 5 inches toward his buttock. It's not hot, nor tender to the touch but is very hard. A lady said it could be from his hoof hitting the area.Before I go spending a lot of money on vet bills I thought I could get some ideas.
Here's a picture of the lump
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/811/getattachmentaspxu.jpg/
winfrid12

Lump on horses stomach?

Postby eddis » Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:01 pm

I am concerned about the size of the lump and that it is very hard.

If it was soft I would say they have knocked them self and it is just a hematoma, I would monitor it and see how it goes for a bit.

But being very hard and to have come up so sudden is strange. Personally I would monitor it for a day or two and see if it changes in texture and size, even measure it so you accurately know if it has got bigger or smaller.

Feel to see if there is a bite site, a small lump that may have caused the overall area. Feel for the texture of the skin under the hair, like rough flaky skin under the hair to show irritation.

If he has been laying down a lot in his stable then it "could" be from his hoof hitting the area. But I would more think it to also have some hair rubbed off or other marks on the spot if this were the case.

A girl at our riding club got a similar size hardish lump a bit higher up on the side if the horses tummy and it resolved it's self in 2 weeks with no treatment.

I went out to find my TB gelding cut his hind leg. I would say he did it late evening after feeding and by the time I walked out yesterday morning his whole lower leg was swollen from his hock down, looks like a balloon.

It is the smallest cut you can imagine in the middle of the leg and it is hard to imagine it has caused so much trouble. Despite my husband and I walking the paddock we can't find what he has done it on!

The leg is warm, yet he is walking perfectly normal. As I walked out I could not even tell he was injured from a distance. I am treating it myself for the time being because I have the required medicines and knowledge to do so. But if he turns I will call the vet immediately, I refuse to take risks with my horses.

In any case you have established it is not tender or hot. I would call the vet tomorrow after checking it again. If your really unsure give them a phone call now and have a chat. They will answer any question for free and from your description they will be happy to book it in for a day or 2.

BTW - that is one clean stable with lovely fluffy bedding! It is nice to see horses kept in such lovely clean conditions.

I hope the lump turns out to be nothing, good luck ;-)

ADD - Oh Donald why are you going out of your way to be so nasty? Your "bio" the other day stated you were a knowledgeable TB horse figure with may years experience.

So I can only imagine you have become bitter and twisted or your not the knowledgeable person you claim to be? We have many people lie on here and claim to have much more experience than they do.

They are the people that leave rude answers because they don't have the experience to back it up. Such a shame, I was happy to think we had gained a valuable Y!A member ;-(
eddis

Lump on horses stomach?

Postby bercnan72 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:04 pm

looks like a hernia to me, When a foal Is young they can herniate there belly were the umbilical cord was.. this can lead to there Intestines Being allowed to come Down even causing them to rupture. I would advise getting a vet out.
bercnan72

Lump on horses stomach?

Postby adare » Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:11 pm

A few years ago, I had an older pony that was white and had melanomas. She had large bumps/lumps on her tail, near her withers, and I believe one on her neck. She passed away in December of 2010 of old age, but I remember her having a lump on her stomach very similiar to this one! Actually, it looks almost exact. I did have the vet come out and he examined it. I don't remember exactly what the diagnosis was, but I do remember it not being very serious. I suggest you get a vet out as well, just in case. My pony was not at all bothered by the lump either, but better safe then sorry. Good luck(:
adare

Lump on horses stomach?

Postby byron92 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:15 pm

Unfortunately, no one here can diagnose your horse for you. The wide array of possibilities is just too extensive for a user here at Y!A to pinpoint what's going on. It may be nothing, it may be something very serious, and because of the risks of not knowing you could be putting your horse's life at stake for trying to wait to consult the vet. It could be an infected scratch or bite, it could be an edema, it could even be cancer... You will want your vet to look at it. If it's nothing, it's not going to cost you much, if it's serious then it will be a good thing to have caught it early.

td's for telling the chick to get a vet? o_o
byron92

Lump on horses stomach?

Postby atworth49 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:18 pm

And I was told your question was removed because it violated community standards. I did not say you were a "phony", my first answer was to suggest that you were not the "owner" and that you had to "visit" your horse suggested that you were a spoiled child whose horse and care for said horse was paid by your parents. As I tried to add, but was prevented from because the question was deleted, I wonder why you would go to the trouble to measure the lump and not call a vet. At which point I would have pointed out that you either were not the person who would pay the vet or else the most inept victim of the trust fund that I have ever heard of.
atworth49

Return to Property Law