Sponsor Links:

Discount Legal Forms
Discounted Legal Texts

Lubricating Amsec Rifle Safe W/ Eletric Lock

Family Law Discussion Forum

Postby tsubasa » Thu Nov 24, 2016 2:32 am

amsec mechanism

I have a amsec sf series gun safe and on the would like to know what type of lubrication to put on the bolt mechanism behind the door panel.  The Bolts were not locking and I callled amsec they instructed me on how to fix it and while I was waiting for a spring to arrive the grease that was on there got dry and gooey so I wiped it off but I need to put something on it.  Any guidance is very appreciated.

Thank You
tsubasa

Postby Ludovic » Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:20 am

amsec mechanism

I have a amsec sf series gun safe and on the would like to know what type of lubrication to put on the bolt mechanism behind the door panel.  The Bolts were not locking and I callled amsec they instructed me on how to fix it and while I was waiting for a spring to arrive the grease that was on there got dry and gooey so I wiped it off but I need to put something on it.  Any guidance is very appreciated.

Thank You
Ludovic

Postby Taidhg » Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:31 am

Gary,

I use an inexpensive white lithum grease for a couple of reasons, first I recommend annual maintenance so I really don't care if the grease will last 100 years or not.  If you do want longer periods between maintenance, use a better quality grease.

One thing to consider is the fact that it doesn't matter how "good" the grease is, if it has a "wet" surface it IS a dust magnet.  As dust, dirt and metal becomes mixed into the grease it becomes a grinding compound.  The grease and/or lubricant also begins breaking down within around 30 days, after a year or so, it starts to harden up or loose its lubricating qualities.  This is why I recommend annual maintenance for commercial safes.  For residential use, where you are not getting in and out of the safe regularly, you can put it off for several years, but I still recommend 3 years max or as soon as you notice a problem.

Note:  Do Not Lubricate the lock!  You can cause all sorts of damage by incorrectly applying lubricant.  If you have a problem with the lock, contact the safe company to have an authorized safe technician service it for you.

Andy
Taidhg

Return to Family Law