Welcome to Law-Forums.org!   

Advertisments:

Sponsor Links:

Discount Legal Forms
Discounted Legal Texts

Lost Iud

Been the victim of Legal Malpractice? Discuss it here.

Lost Iud

Postby AngelinaJolie » Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:08 pm

My sister had an IUD put in in October 2007. First when she got it put in she experienced more pain than normal, but she was under the impression that it was painful so she didn't think anything about it. When she went back for her 6 week check up it was gone, meaning no string, no IUD. They did an ultrasound and didn't find it. Here we are July 2008 and for the last couple of months she's been going to the ER and her doctors thinking she has an UTI.  She has been experience stabbing pains on her left side. She went to the ER once and the second time she went, which was in the same week, they did a CT Scan and discovered the IUD sitting in the area of her pain.  The doctors went in to look around in the area it showed up on the scan and they didn't find it. The Doctor wanted to wait almost 2 weeks to go back in to look for it.   

My question is is this a malpractice issue/suit? and could the IUD possibly be in her muscle because they should us pictures of the uterus and they don't think it's in there.
AngelinaJolie

Lost Iud

Postby Barrymore » Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:00 pm

My sister had an IUD put in in October 2007. First when she got it put in she experienced more pain than normal, but she was under the impression that it was painful so she didn't think anything about it. When she went back for her 6 week check up it was gone, meaning no string, no IUD. They did an ultrasound and didn't find it. Here we are July 2008 and for the last couple of months she's been going to the ER and her doctors thinking she has an UTI.  She has been experience stabbing pains on her left side. She went to the ER once and the second time she went, which was in the same week, they did a CT Scan and discovered the IUD sitting in the area of her pain.  The doctors went in to look around in the area it showed up on the scan and they didn't find it. The Doctor wanted to wait almost 2 weeks to go back in to look for it.   

My question is is this a malpractice issue/suit? and could the IUD possibly be in her muscle because they should us pictures of the uterus and they don't think it's in there.
Barrymore

Lost Iud

Postby Covey » Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:30 am

Your sister may not have a successful malpractice lawsuit. The IUD may have perforated the vagina wall and gone into the pelvic area. You don't identify where the doctor 'went in to look around', but my guess is they looked in the uterus, or maybe even just the vagina. Of course they would not see it there. It wasn't there. Not too many IUDs wander and not many perforate healthy tissue, and so whether this  wandering IUD is the result of negligence will have to be determined, To do that probably a lawsuit will have to be filed and the doctors deposed. I am certain the records will not have any useful information for a lawyer.

Now your sister is going to need an exploratory pelvic examination and the usual risks of surgery. Before they find the IUD and remove it, your sister may have reason to consult a lawyer. A lawyer familiar with local malpractice actions will be able to advise your sister. The least she should expect is that the doctors and the hospital will eat their charges. A lawyer may want to file a lawsuit against the manufacturer of the IUD, the most likely defendant if a lawsuit is filed. But as I said in the beginning, I am not sure a lawyer will have a case he can win. That does not mean she should not talk to a couple of lawyers. Local experience will determine what a lawyer may do.
Covey

Return to Legal Malpractice