Sponsor Links:

Discount Legal Forms
Discounted Legal Texts

Little Shop Of Horrors

The law of the sea.

Little Shop Of Horrors

Postby Murchadh » Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:15 pm

Hey there Mrs. Schulman,

I'm going to be auditioning for Little Shop of Horrors on May 20th and I really want the part of Audrey and I have a great voice, but I'm afraid I'll get one of the Trio girls instead. I want the director to say "That's our Audrey!" and give me the part. Have any tips on how I can be a great Audrey at auditions??? Also any songs that you can suggest for auditions? I have Who Will Love Me As I Am from Side Show right now, but I'm afraid that it's not Audrey enough.

Thanks!

Charlotte
Murchadh

Little Shop Of Horrors

Postby Twm » Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:57 am

Hey there Mrs. Schulman,

I'm going to be auditioning for Little Shop of Horrors on May 20th and I really want the part of Audrey and I have a great voice, but I'm afraid I'll get one of the Trio girls instead. I want the director to say "That's our Audrey!" and give me the part. Have any tips on how I can be a great Audrey at auditions??? Also any songs that you can suggest for auditions? I have Who Will Love Me As I Am from Side Show right now, but I'm afraid that it's not Audrey enough.

Thanks!

Charlotte
Twm

Little Shop Of Horrors

Postby Jacques » Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:33 am

Hi Charlotte,

There really is no way to guarantee that a director will see you as a particular character.  Every director has his/her own vision of the way they want the role played and it may not be the way you think of it.  The best you can do is to do your best and show the director that you have the vocal range and style, the acting ability, and, if you choose, the ability to do the character the way YOU think it should be done.  

Choose an audition song that shows off your voice, that is in your range and, hopefully, in the range of the character you want to play.  Try to choose a song that is by the same composer/lyricist who wrote the show you're auditioning for(Alan Menken composed LITTLE SHOP... he also wrote many of the Disney shows - go here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Menken to see what shows he wrote the music for), or at least a song that is in the style of the show.  If you are aiming at a specific character, as you are, try to choose a song that is similar in style to those that Audrey sings.  Audrey is a unique character and, outside the show there are few characters like her - and none of Menken's other characters have similar songs or style.  So choose a song that is right for you and let the way you sing it suggest Audrey rather than the song itself.  If your voice is in the right range, and you are the "type" that the director is visualizing for Audrey, then chances are you will get a chance to read for her from the script of the play.

If you know the play well, look at the character and think about who she is, where is she from, what she wants, what makes her the way she is, and how she feels.  When you read, try to think as if you were Audrey in that situation at that moment.  Don't worry about being what the director wants.  You can't know that.  Just think about being Audrey.  Think like her and you will speak like her, feel like her, move like her...

As for your song, I make it a practice not to suggest specific songs for anyone I don't know personally.  As I said, an audition song has to be right, not only for the show and the role, but more important, for you!  A song that might be perfect for someone else might be totally wrong for you.  Without knowing your vocal and acting range and abiliy, look and style, I can't possible know what might be good for you.  I'm not familiar with Who Will Love Me As I Am, but it sounds like the meaning of it fits Audrey very well(since she is so insecure and dependent).  

Have a great audition, Charlotte!  And don't worry if you do get one of the trio rather than Audrey.  Remember there is only one Audrey and who gets it depends on the directors vision, not just how well you do.  Besides, the trio girls actually have much more difficult and challenging singing roles than Audrey.  Their harmony is fabulous, they need great subtle acting skills, and they really make the show!  There are no bad roles in this show, so enjoy whatever role you get!

Best,

Arlene(MsDirector)
Jacques

Return to Maritime Law