Welcome to Law-Forums.org!   


Sponsor Links:

Discount Legal Forms
Discounted Legal Texts

Left Hand Turn Accident

Been involved in a traffic accident? Discuss traffic laws here

Left Hand Turn Accident

Postby Aisley » Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:18 pm

Hello, I was in an accident about 2 months ago.  I was at a redlight then my light turned green and i looked up and saw no one coming(mind you it was dark out so i would have saw lights)...I made my left hand turn then out of no where I get hit by another person going the straight in the opposite direction.  I then continued to do a 180 safely to the other side of the road.  I told the officer I didn't see anyone coming and I safely made the left...he hit me straight on my passenger side reaer wheel.  There is over 7,000 dollars of damage on my car.  The kid was cited a careless driving ticket and I was stated at no fault.  The cop also stated to me that the kid admitted to be  speeding down the road.  Now 2 months later with the claims they are putting me at fault and I have to lose my deductible and they are saying i can dispute it but no one is answering their phones and no one is helping me out with explaining anything to me.  They already called the other insurance company to let them know they considered me at fault.  I don't know what to do.  It wasn't my fault, the kid was speeding...is there anything I can do?
Posts: 54
Joined: Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:31 am

Left Hand Turn Accident

Postby Joran » Thu Dec 25, 2014 4:26 pm

Hi Renee,

Your question is a little fuzzy, but as I can best determine, you are dealing with your own insurance company.

Even with a police report stating the other driver was at fault and cited, they have decided that you are at fault, made such notification to the other drivers insurance company of such(which means they are willing to pay for the repairs to the other car).  Now you can't even reach your own company by phone.  If your insurance company's office is  local, you need to go there in person to discuss this matter and read the police report.  It's very possible that the police officer didn't write the report in the manner that he stated at the scene.  Your insurance company is the only party on your side and they are supposed to fight this on your behalf.

If you are unable to visit your own company, you need to go to the police department and purchase a copy of the report

so you can read it and see if it agrees with the statements made by the officer at the scene.  If the report agrees with statements made at the scene, your own company has made a terrible mistake in considering you at fault.

Your amount of damage is to large to go to small claims court.

Go ahead and allow your company to start repairing your car(minus your deductible) and at the same time continue to call someone higher up in your company to dispute their method of handling this claim.

You should contact the Insurance Commissioner in your state and file a complaint.

Just type 'yourstatename department of insurance' into the web browser of your computer and hit go.  This will bring up several sites in your state dealing with insurance.

Go to the one that states 'official site of the department of insurance', scroll through that site and you will find the method ot file a complaint by e-mail and by telephone.

If the police report agrees with the officers statements at the scene, you should be able to receive lots of help from the Insurance Commissioners office.

I trust this has been of help.

Your feedback by rating my answer will be appreciated.


Bennie 11-07-07- 10:34 AN PST
Posts: 53
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:28 am

Return to Traffic Law


  • Related topics
    Last post