Discount Legal Forms
Discounted Legal Texts

Law Self-study

Discuss anything to do with property law - buying, selling property

Law Self-study

Postby burhbank » Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:10 pm

Dear Rajeev,

I wish to study law, but it will be mainly

self study. Can you guide me / recommend books etc. considering that I am a fresher.

Thanks in advance
burhbank

Law Self-study

Postby Koltin » Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:46 am

Dear Rajeev,

I wish to study law, but it will be mainly

self study. Can you guide me / recommend books etc. considering that I am a fresher.

Thanks in advance
Koltin

Law Self-study

Postby Dannie » Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:18 am

Vishwas, Thanks for your question. It is indeed worthwhile for anyone to study law. This is irrespective of one's academic or social background. Study of law certainly helps one to be just and equitable in life besides makes one sharp and balanced in thoughts.

Coming to your question, law is a vast subject and let me give some introduction. There are many systems and branches of law. Common Law and Civil Law are two principal systems,the former originating from England and later from europe. Commonwealth countries normally have follow common law syste while several european countries like France, Germany follow civil law system. Contries like US today have a system which is a mix of these two. Besides these, there are also some are specific systems like shariat law in islamic countries.       

Under each system, there are branches of law such as the law relating to contracts, crime, finance, banking etc. which deal with the matters relating to that branch. Often a matter is multibranch, in which case relevant laws relating to each related branch applies.

Law(in every branch) is comprised basically of coded law(acts of parliament etc) and precedents i.e. court decisions.   

Indian law is based on common law system. To begin your self study you may read a nice book called: "Learning the Law" by Glanville Williams(Published originally by Sweet & Maxwell and Indian edition is by Universal Law Publishing Co. P. Ltd and priced at Rs. 110.-) The above book is a good window towards introduction to common law system. Once you are through with it, you may read the textboobs for 1st LLB course of any university in India which would provide you insight to pricipal branches of law such as contract, labour, property and succession.

Do write if you need any assistance.

Wish you very best in your studies.
Dannie

Return to Property Law