Advertisments:

Sponsor Links:

Discount Legal Forms
Discounted Legal Texts

L2 Visa Application

Talk about immigration laws here

L2 Visa Application

Postby Celestine » Sun Dec 04, 2016 3:53 am

Hello Mr. Arora, I am a fellow Nittany Lion and have a question concerning my/future spouse's visa situation. For background, I am a citizen of an island in the Caribbean and am in India at the moment working for a MNC. I will be getting a L1 visa in July and will then be going to the US for the next few years at least. I will be getting married to an Indian citizen in Jan, 2012 and my question is concerning the best method to obtain a L2 visa for her. Should we do a court marriage prior to my visa application and apply together? In that case, would the marriage certificate be sufficient evidence? I have heard that one has to provide pictures of the ceremony and in our case, the religious ceremony will only occur in Jan, 2012. Alternatively, I don't have a problem waiting until Jan, 2012 but can you please tactically explain how the process would work? Ideally, I would like to leave with her to the US right after the marriage in Jan, 2012. Would that even be possible since an appt at the consulate takes at least 2-4 wks? Or would be apply for an appt time beforehand and hopefully get one that's soon after the wedding? I am just a little confused as to what steps and more importantly when those steps occur for people in my situation(on a L1, marrying an Indian citizen in India, wanting to leave for the US right after the wedding).

Thanks and appreciate the assistance.

ANSWER: Hi Priyank,

As appointment for visa stamping of spouse can take place only after marriage, and as your objective seems to be to accompany your spouse to the U.S., you should do a court marriage and then apply for L1/L2 visa stamping at the U.S. Consulate together.

In lieu of a fancy ceremony and accompanying glittering photographs, you can provide evidence of a bona fide marriage such as photographs of relatives/friends from both parties who attended some type of ceremony shortly before or after the court marriage; evidence of some type of honeymoon or solitude of the married couple shortly after court marriage, evidence of residing together after marriage, evidence of joint assets, evidence that this is not a secret marriage but is publicly known(for example, you inform your employer about your marital status and obtain any applicable benefits for spouse such as insurance coverage, if applicable, etc.)

---------- FOLLOW-UP ----------

Thanks for the response - just two follow ups. Please let me know if you think the following would be sufficient evidence to prove the marriage: the marriage certificate, pictures from a ceremony at her home with her relatives and a few of my relatives, her passport with my name as the spouse's name and a joint bank account statement. Secondly, is there a rule by which she has to enter the US within a certain period of time after getting the L2 visa? For example, if she gets the visa in late July and the religious wedding is not until Jan, 2012, it would mean that more than 6 months would have gone by after she had the visa and hadn't entered the US. Just want to make sure that won't cause any issues.

Thanks again.
Celestine

L2 Visa Application

Postby Raulo » Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:23 am

Hi,

Any additional documents with either or both of your names to the same address is helpful in showing that you are residing together. This could be any mail(bank, utility bills, tax documents, etc. or even unofficial correspondence such as emails or letters from friends or relatives which mention both of you in the same email or letter. Issuance of L2 visa stamp will allow entry to the U.S. anytime prior to expiration.
Raulo

L2 Visa Application

Postby Fonzo » Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:08 am

Hello Mr. Arora, I am a fellow Nittany Lion and have a question concerning my/future spouse's visa situation. For background, I am a citizen of an island in the Caribbean and am in India at the moment working for a MNC. I will be getting a L1 visa in July and will then be going to the US for the next few years at least. I will be getting married to an Indian citizen in Jan, 2012 and my question is concerning the best method to obtain a L2 visa for her. Should we do a court marriage prior to my visa application and apply together? In that case, would the marriage certificate be sufficient evidence? I have heard that one has to provide pictures of the ceremony and in our case, the religious ceremony will only occur in Jan, 2012. Alternatively, I don't have a problem waiting until Jan, 2012 but can you please tactically explain how the process would work? Ideally, I would like to leave with her to the US right after the marriage in Jan, 2012. Would that even be possible since an appt at the consulate takes at least 2-4 wks? Or would be apply for an appt time beforehand and hopefully get one that's soon after the wedding? I am just a little confused as to what steps and more importantly when those steps occur for people in my situation(on a L1, marrying an Indian citizen in India, wanting to leave for the US right after the wedding).

Thanks and appreciate the assistance.

ANSWER: Hi Priyank,

As appointment for visa stamping of spouse can take place only after marriage, and as your objective seems to be to accompany your spouse to the U.S., you should do a court marriage and then apply for L1/L2 visa stamping at the U.S. Consulate together.

In lieu of a fancy ceremony and accompanying glittering photographs, you can provide evidence of a bona fide marriage such as photographs of relatives/friends from both parties who attended some type of ceremony shortly before or after the court marriage; evidence of some type of honeymoon or solitude of the married couple shortly after court marriage, evidence of residing together after marriage, evidence of joint assets, evidence that this is not a secret marriage but is publicly known(for example, you inform your employer about your marital status and obtain any applicable benefits for spouse such as insurance coverage, if applicable, etc.)

---------- FOLLOW-UP ----------

Thanks for the response - just two follow ups. Please let me know if you think the following would be sufficient evidence to prove the marriage: the marriage certificate, pictures from a ceremony at her home with her relatives and a few of my relatives, her passport with my name as the spouse's name and a joint bank account statement. Secondly, is there a rule by which she has to enter the US within a certain period of time after getting the L2 visa? For example, if she gets the visa in late July and the religious wedding is not until Jan, 2012, it would mean that more than 6 months would have gone by after she had the visa and hadn't entered the US. Just want to make sure that won't cause any issues.

Thanks again.
Fonzo

Return to Immigration Law