Not logged in? Join one of the bigest Law Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: Research Law Professors Before Choosing Law Schools

Advertisments:

Sponsor Links:

Discount Legal Forms
Discounted Legal Texts

Japan overstay visa return?

Talk about immigration laws here

Postby devon » Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:49 am

Seven years ago I stupidly overstayed my visa in Japan by about one month. My only excuse is I was young. I was deported and banned for 5 years. Now I want to go back for a short vacation to see some old friends. I know the ban has expired but I am still a bit nervous about returning because Japanese immigration are strict and they may send me home and the first available flight back because of my past. My question is do you think I will have any problems entry into Japan? And if you have knowledge Japanese immigration laws I would appreciate it if you could answer this question.
devon

Postby lazaro94 » Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:55 am

There is no real answer to your question here. It's better that you ask Japanese Embassy or Consulate for certainty.
lazaro94

Postby aethelbert35 » Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:01 am

Entry into Japan is up to the discretion of the immigration officers.
The embarkation form asks if you ever been deported, you'll have to check YES, Japan also does fingerprinting of all incoming foreigners, so your fingerprints will be tied directly to their immigration database as well. Once your passport is scanned, and your fingerprints, it will definately show up on the immigration officer's screen.

Now you'd better have your exact itinerary with you, return ticket / or ticket that shows you are leaving Japan. It's up to the immigration officer to decide whether or not to let you in.
aethelbert35

Postby calvert » Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:03 am

If you were banned for 5 years, then it was 5 years. Japanese can be strict, but in your case that would be to your benefit, as the time period has ended. For them to strictly follow the law, they would allow you in the country.

Now is your time to show the authorities you're paying attention. You go to Japan, and leave within the right time period.

I would start getting excited about Japan and plan your trip.
calvert

Postby ayize » Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:15 am

The fact is that there are many overstayers in Japan. They might not be disclosed unless they get involved in a crime, or something. With this circumstances, your case is much lighter. Besides your commitment is over.
If you look nervous at the immigration, you may be questioned. So just be honest to tell them your past when the officer referred to it. (It is not only you.. )
Just relax and enjoy your stay this time.
ayize

Postby iker » Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:21 am

You have served your time and are allowed to visit. It is up to immigration's discretion whether they let you in or not. They will scrutinise everything right from your accommodation to how much money you have to survive etc. They will also consult with their opposite number in your country to make sure you have no criminal record since you were last deported - every developed country does this not just Japan.

Just hope you meet a nice friendly official at the airport
iker

Postby fiacre68 » Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:34 am

It's up to the immigration officer and expect to be questioned upon arrival.

Yes they are strict as I have had a friend visit me who were arrested for possession of weed (at age 18) and he was sent back. Then again I had another friend with a DUI offense visit and he was allowed to enter.

My point is nobody here can say for sure.
fiacre68

Postby kendell » Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:36 am

The problem is that it is up to the immigration officer who will look at your passport at the airport.
Your country of citizenship may also affect that decision.
If you're really worried, call the Japanese embassy or consulate closest to you and ask them.
kendell

Postby corcoran42 » Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:40 am

Just get a visa and go if your not banned or explain it to somebody at a airport on your side I'm sure they will know best and they won't try to stop you from travelling. If your not banned they can't keep you banned :s so I'm sure its nothing to worry about its not like your a criminal
corcoran42

Postby dalon » Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:48 am

There is no legal reason to deny entry to you at this time. BUT if you pull this stunt again, chances are the next time you try to go to Japan, you will have some problems.
dalon

Return to Immigration Law