Not logged in? Join one of the bigest Law Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: Research Law Professors Before Choosing Law Schools

Advertisments:

Sponsor Links:

Discount Legal Forms
Discounted Legal Texts

Is there a U.S. Law prohibiting children of the opposite sex sleeping in same bedroom in rental units.?

Having a dispute with a tenant or landlord? Rental Law discussion

Is there a U.S. Law prohibiting children of the opposite sex sleeping in same bedroom in rental units.?

Postby ruddy » Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:15 pm

If there is please provide an actual link or reference. I'm looking for specific references that clearly show that it is illegal for children of the opposite sex to share the same bedroom.

To date I've found nothing. All I've come across is, " I've read" or "I've heard" or "I was told". This is all hearsay and not helpful. What I've found is that there is a general consensus that there is no such law in any of the 50 states at this time. At this time it appears to be only opinion however. Please respond only if you have an actual link or legal reference that I can read? Thanks for your help.
ruddy

Postby brenn15 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:16 pm

Page 64 http://www.hud.gov/offices/pih/programs/ph/rhiip/phguidebooknew.pdf relates to this but it does state that opposite sex children cannot be forced to share one room in public housing. Not the same thing, but a start.

I have been guilty of repeating this (exactly once) because of bad information given on here and we all know there is TONS of bad information given on here by the "experts". It's my fault for not doing the research on my own rather than taking the word of others. I usually make sure to do my own research before posting, which is part of why I get so many TDs when it contradicts YA R&REs dogma.

In a cursory search, it appears that some states and cities actually have laws AGAINST landlords saying that children of opposite sex cannot share a room.

I think that's what happened is a kernel of truth was taken and spun. Many public housing rules state that children of opposite sex cannot be forced to live in the same room.

As far as US Law, probably the way to avoid confusion is to say "law in the US". "US Law" is usually synonymous with Federal Law. As others have said, it would be up to local law.
brenn15

Postby chavivi » Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:22 pm

No, of course not.

What people "may have heard" more likely comes from divorce court or family court rulings in specific cases that have become the equivalent of the rule of law in particular situations -- like child custody cases or child welfare issues involving government agencies, like foster care.

Part of reason you are having such a difficult time is that you are looking for something that doesn't exist. (A law forbidding children from sharing a room)

Try finding proof of something completely ridiculous -- like a law forbidding you from having a christmas tree in a child's bedroom. You won't find a link or documentation proving that either, even though you know its absolutely untrue.
chavivi

Postby dubh35 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:30 pm

There is no law that is a federal law about this. If you are on subsidized housing there are certain regulations there- but not laws. Child protective laws are state laws and would vary a lot depending on the state. In Texas for instance they do not have specific laws about this but the practice is that very young children would be fine sharing a bedroom but once they get to be about eight they need to be separated by sex. This is not a written law- it is a practice that comes up if you are suspected of not being good parents. There may be written laws in other states about this- but not in Texas.

I have worked with CPS in this area.
dubh35

Postby montgomery69 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:38 pm

You need to look in the health laws, the health department and CPS enforces any child welfare laws.

Although they are local, most are exactly the same. Children of the opposite sex can share a room until one of them is 5. Children can also sleep in the parents bedroom for either 1 year or 2, some states as 12 months old, others 24 months old.
montgomery69

Postby sylvester37 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:48 pm

That would be either a state or a local city/town law. Federal law does not concern itself with housing arrangements.

EDIT: Actually, no, it would NOT be a "US law". That's what we're all trying to tell you. The phrase "US Law" refers to a law made by the United States government and which applies to every state in the country. That is absolutely NOT the kind of law you are asking about. You are asking about LOCAL law, which is completely separate and distinct from federal (US) law.
sylvester37

Postby siwili » Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:52 pm

You need a clue. There is no federal law controlling the situation you describe. However, there ARE assorted state and local laws governing same. Thus, you need to investigate local and state laws governing this situation.
siwili

Postby jorian23 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:00 pm

it's a local or state law. I would call your local housing office and ask them this question.
jorian23

Postby vruyk » Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:05 pm

it's a local or state law. I would call your local housing office and ask them this question.
There is no federal law stating that. In many areas this is simply a housing authority or Government housing standard and not an actual law. I believe some areas do have an actual occupancy law stating that. However, those laws are state and sometimes even county specific. You need to check with your local housing authority for the law in your specific area.

If you live in subsidized housing & your local housing authority has that rule then you still must abide by it even if it is not an actual law in your area. Government housing can have & enforce what ever rules they see fit so long as they do not violate a state or federal law.
vruyk

Return to Rental Law