Not logged in? Join one of the bigest Law Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: Tips for Achieving an Amicable Divorce

Advertisments:

Sponsor Links:

Discount Legal Forms
Discounted Legal Texts

Is target shooting legal on my Michigan property?

Discuss anything to do with property law - buying, selling property

Postby demarco » Thu May 10, 2012 9:36 pm

I live outside of city limits. Typically I fire >5 rounds at a time, often only one a a rodent. However I have neighbors on either side both with houses within 300 feet of mine. MI law says target shooting on private land is legal and there is no "safety/no shoot" zone for non-hunting purposes. I believe I am in the clear, but would like reinforcement or positive correction.
demarco

Postby gabrielo19 » Thu May 10, 2012 9:37 pm

You need to check county regs, Not just hunting regulations. Their may be zoning & noise abuse issues.
gabrielo19

Postby colten » Thu May 10, 2012 9:47 pm

You need to be 500 ft. away from an occupied building..
colten

Postby curran » Thu May 10, 2012 9:49 pm

State law says can not shoot within 450 ft of an occupied building unless you have the permission of the owner or occupant. Local laws may vary. I'm not sure if this only applies to hunting or any shooting.

So in short assuming your township has no additional restrictions, you need the ok from both neighbors to do it legally. Not to mention having a safe backstop of some sort. Either way if it's for just hunting or any shooting you really should talk to any neighbors that close just to keep good relations. Noise could be an issue for them at that distance, if it's ok with them then great, if not it's best to find a different shooting spot. There might also be such a thing as there might be certain times of day they don't care and others where it might be a problem.
curran

Return to Property Law