Not logged in? Join one of the bigest Law Forums on the Internet! Join Now!  

Advertisments:

Sponsor Links:

Discount Legal Forms
Discounted Legal Texts

Is my Sister in Law flirting with me?

Family Law Discussion Forum

Postby dallen47 » Tue May 29, 2012 4:53 am

I have been married to my wife for about a month, but her older sister (who is also married) may have been flirting with me (thought subtly) since we've been engaged, and continued into our marriage. Please help me determine if this true or whether I am imaginings things.

Her family is traditional, but she is a bit more open. While my wife's sister would be considered very attractive (as is my wife), I love my wife dearly and would never dream of hurting her. I just want to know if this is a potential issue I should be wary of, or simply someone who is friendly.

1) Touching

One time I was sitting at the dinner table, she had to get through to get something, but instead of asking me to move she slid through and her backside brushed against me. Not a big deal, I thought.

Second time was at our wedding. I'm south asian so we have some 'unique' ceremonies, one being the brides sister hold your finger until it loses blood pressure, until you give them money ( I know, a bit funny). So anyways, she's holding my finger, and by extension my hand, which is just off her lap. But then she leans forward to get something, pushing her breasts over my hand, which I can't move. That too can be argued is innocent, I know.

Last week, while I was over at their parents place, she urged me to get some food for myself, and placed her hand gently at the small of my back. Not normally a big deal but her family being more traditional and less touchy-feeling its more noticeable. Other times she has casually placed her hand on my arm or shoulder.

2) Comments

Also at the wedding, she was helping me adjust my traditional sharwani, a south asian suit. She jokingly said "don't worry, I'm not trying to hit on you, just need to get this adjusted". I ackwardly laughed. The fact that a sister in law even jokes about 'hitting on' her brother in law seemed a bit strange? Perhaps its because she's very open and blunt when she talks.

Last summer we all went to the beach. I was sitting on the beach when she came up to me and said "I know our whole family is here, but you dont have to feel uncomfortable if you want to take your shirt off". I know she was just trying to make me feeling comfortable with her more traditional family, and at the time I thought nothing of it until considering all of these other smaller things.

Sometimes she texts me as well .. but its of a pretty innocent nature (more how is life, how her kids and husband are doing, my job, etc)

So, do I have anything to worry about? Or is this just a friendly sister in law who's harmless?
Your help is appreciated!
dallen47

Postby eochaidh94 » Tue May 29, 2012 4:56 am

Relax. Nothing is wrong. You're sexually naive and every little touch from a woman sets you off. You were probably an almost virgin husband.....

When you've had regular sex for a year, youll settle down.
eochaidh94

Postby zackary42 » Tue May 29, 2012 4:59 am

The touching part sounds dubious. You should immediately ensure that there is no such possibility of such contact in future.

Easier to give her the benefit of the doubt (she may be just friendly), but do keep a distance and stick close to your wife. She may not try anymore once she gets your message.
zackary42

Postby benon » Tue May 29, 2012 5:03 am

Hmm well that's hard to detirmen it could be both.. She seems more open yet again why are you texting her? I don't text my husbands brothers and trust me we are way more open then you guys.
benon

Postby clem84 » Tue May 29, 2012 5:10 am

She's harmless. Sure, the thing about you taking off your shirt was kind of weird, but everyone says stupid things they regret (I am guilty). Everything else seems accidental, and the texts seem friendly.
clem84

Return to Family Law