Not logged in? Join one of the bigest Law Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: Research Law Professors Before Choosing Law Schools

Advertisments:

Sponsor Links:

Discount Legal Forms
Discounted Legal Texts

Is my landlord required by law to provide me with smoke alarms and/or carbon monoxide detectors?

Having a dispute with a tenant or landlord? Rental Law discussion

Is my landlord required by law to provide me with smoke alarms and/or carbon monoxide detectors?

Postby bing49 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:31 pm

I live in a rental house in Phoenix that didn't come equipped with smoke alarms or carbon monoxide detectors. I've looked everywhere online and I can't find any State of Arizona or City of Phoenix Housing Codes regarding this matter. The Tenant-Landlord Act also doesn't cover this issue. Is it my responcibility to buy, install and maintain things like this? Every rental property that I've ever lived in in Arizona has had smoke alarms installed, so it was never an issue before.
bing49

Postby orlondo100 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:44 pm

As a PA landlord, I am required to have smoke alarms installed in every bedroom. At the bottom of every stairway, in the living room and kitchen. If there is a basement or attic one must be in place there as well. It is the tenants responsibility to make sure it always has working batteries. We are not required to install carbon monoxide detectors, although they are a good idea.
orlondo100

Postby osbourne » Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:46 pm

Aot of states have Housing Authority offices in major areas of the state that can best answer this with a short phone call. In NC, homes are required to have smoke alarms. And our local fire depts will provide and install smoke alrms to those who request them.
osbourne

Postby symington » Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:50 pm

By the time you find the proper codes it could be too late. If it's an older building it may be equipped with sprinklers. In the meantime, a cheap smoke detector is around $10. Just don't put it near the kitchen.
symington

Re: Is my landlord required by law to provide me with smoke

Postby jaine » Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:27 am

Hi,A my friend is also living in a rental apartment but he have to install all these smoke alarms himself.According to my personal view all theses smoke alarms and the security alarm should be install in every house for preventing yourselves and your neighbors. so thanks.
jaine

Return to Rental Law