Welcome to Law-Forums.org!   

Advertisments:

Sponsor Links:

Discount Legal Forms
Discounted Legal Texts

Is it illegal to spray an aggressive dog with mace?

Been involved in a traffic accident? Discuss traffic laws here

Postby darik » Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:16 am

I know Wisconsin has no law regarding leashes (other than if someone's dog actually does damage), but what if the dog is aggressive and chases other dogs away? I was walking my uncle's dog when suddenly a man let his three dogs out, two were small dogs and the other was a large black lab. I was also walking a black lab and the two immediately began to snarl. The man paid no mind and continued to smoke his cigarette as I nearly fell into traffic trying to pull my dog away.
Is there anything I can report this individual for? If I bring mace with to protect my uncle's dog and I while we are walking on public sidewalks, is it illegal to spray the man's aggressive dog?
darik

Postby berwin » Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:26 am

I know Wisconsin has no law regarding leashes (other than if someone's dog actually does damage), but what if the dog is aggressive and chases other dogs away? I was walking my uncle's dog when suddenly a man let his three dogs out, two were small dogs and the other was a large black lab. I was also walking a black lab and the two immediately began to snarl. The man paid no mind and continued to smoke his cigarette as I nearly fell into traffic trying to pull my dog away.
Is there anything I can report this individual for? If I bring mace with to protect my uncle's dog and I while we are walking on public sidewalks, is it illegal to spray the man's aggressive dog?
Nope, it is if you don't have a license to be carrying around the mace though.
berwin

Postby mads » Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:36 am

No
mads

Postby camdin90 » Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:49 am

Of cause it is illegal ! It's called krulety to animals dude better to talk about it with the other man it's the owners fault
camdin90

Postby cadby » Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:55 am

Of cause it is illegal ! It's called krulety to animals dude better to talk about it with the other man it's the owners fault
I would try to avoid going the way where the dogs are and I wld have a chat with the owner if possible. But if all fails mace is your best bet
cadby

Postby hampton83 » Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:12 am

Yes. It is illegal to mace a dog. You can also be charged with animal cruelty and face huge fines. Where i live there is a leash law, i don't understand why some places don't have these! Also where im from you need a permit to carry mace, and if you have it and use it on anything without a permit your in BIG trouble! not sure who you would talk to about this...go to your loca police station and find out what you can do.
hampton83

Postby plys » Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:13 am

No its not illegal to protect yourself and your animals. If you want to be a real pain in the butt go online and order a can of artificial skunk spray. Spray them with that next time they growl at you. It won't hurt them but it'll make the owners life hell trying to clean skunk smell off of his dogs.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Skunk-Fusion-Two-part-hunting-cover-scent-/120759371552?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c1dd1c720
I saw this one on ebay but you can find it lots cheaper somewhere else.
plys

Postby vemados » Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:21 am

No it is not illegal, If the dog is aggressive and is putting you in danger then you could shoot it if you have a gun. So no using pepper spray/mace is definitely not illegal.
vemados

Postby galvin » Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:35 am

Illegal no not if it is in self defense , but if you spray the dog when it's on its own property then you would be liable for vet bills etc ... It's also cruel and inhumane to spray an animal with mace !
galvin

Postby coinleain » Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:37 am

Illegal no not if it is in self defense , but if you spray the dog when it's on its own property then you would be liable for vet bills etc ... It's also cruel and inhumane to spray an animal with mace !
I would not think it would be. But you should yell to the owner first and warn him what will happen if he doesn't control his dog. The police will be on your side, they don't take kindly to irresponsible dog owners.
However, take care that if it does come down to spraying the dog that it does not become more angry and actually does attack. As far as the legality of macing an aggressive dog, I wouldn't worry about that.
coinleain

Next

Return to Traffic Law