Not logged in? Join one of the bigest Law Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: Research Law Professors Before Choosing Law Schools

Advertisments:

Sponsor Links:

Discount Legal Forms
Discounted Legal Texts

Is it illegal to slander someone's name repeatedly online?

Defamation Law Discussion Forum

Postby mads » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:18 pm

Hi I have a very serious problem, someone on twitter continues to create fake accounts and tag me in tweets saying things like "smoke a bowl" "where's the weed at" all of them referenced with marijuana. I've repeatedly blocked them and told them to leave me alone. Still they continue. I'm not an idiot so I don't go around tweeting incriminating **** that will later stop me from any possible jobs. What can I do? Can I press charges? Should I go to the local police? I'm 90% positive it's my old high school because they're mad that they tried to make an example of me and failed miserably as I'm quite successful now and after only a few years of being on my own and with no college degree. Please help!
mads

Postby hwistlere31 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:19 pm

Probably not a winnable case. Suck it and wait for everybody to find out he's a liar!
hwistlere31

Postby sampson » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:28 pm

nope
sampson

Postby sayre » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:37 pm

Slander is illegal. Whether you have been slandered is another question, and one that cannot be answered with the information you have provided.
sayre

Postby parnell » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:50 pm

1. This is not "illegal" in that it is a criminal matter. You cannot have criminal charges pressed for slander.

2. This does not even meet the definition of slander. Slander requires factual statements that the writer knows to be incorrect. These are not factual statements.

3. You can sue for slander, but have to prove financial damages. You would actually have to prove that you lost an employment opportunity because of these tweets.

4. You also need to actually prove who is writing these to file a suit, which you cannot do, and no, it is not "your old high school". I highly doubt they even care what you are doing now....and thats assuming they even remember you.
parnell

Postby gervaso81 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:00 pm

It is a Civil matter and not a criminal one.
You will have to prove financial harm becasue of this persons actions.
What job have you lost, what clients have you lost, what sales at your store have you lost because of the false statements someone made.

Also, if that person can show that the slander was not believed by anyone, you are out of luck.
For example, if I tweet that you have sex with unicorns it may be slander, but as no one really believes you have an actual unicorn, it is more satire than slander (actual case).
gervaso81

Return to Defamation Law