Not logged in? Join one of the bigest Law Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: Tips for Achieving an Amicable Divorce

Advertisments:

Sponsor Links:

Discount Legal Forms
Discounted Legal Texts

Is it illegal to purposely avoid a DUI checkpoint?

Been involved in a traffic accident? Discuss traffic laws here

Postby cleirach70 » Sat Dec 24, 2011 4:01 pm

If someone is completely sober and decided to avoid a DUI checkpoint (ie: to avoid the traffic or save time) and they aren't doing anything illegal, could they be ticketed for that?
cleirach70

Postby ruddy » Sat Dec 24, 2011 4:02 pm

they can be sited. For example i was driving and saw a checkpoint, there was an old dirt road that snuck around the checkpoint. I took the road and when i got through, i got pulled over for avoiding a state police checkpoint
ruddy

Postby motega » Sat Dec 24, 2011 4:10 pm

As long as you don't break anyother traffic laws, odds are it's ok to avoid a dui check point. But it would really depend on your state laws. http://www.drivinglaws.org/legal-advice/dui-dwi/aggravated-dui/is-illegal-try-avoid-dui-checkpoints

However, it's a great way to draw attention to yourself and get pulled for sure.

The cars that try to avoid the DUI check points are usually the ones driven by the drunks so the cops may pull you if they see you trying to avoid the check point. In the end, it's probably faster to go through the check point if you are sober.
motega

Postby mace » Sat Dec 24, 2011 4:19 pm

Yes, I try to avoid them too but you can get pulled over just for that....and no other reason. I agree, in the end it could be much faster to go through the checkpoint, if you are sober. But this is just mu opinion.
mace

Postby lalla3 » Sat Dec 24, 2011 4:28 pm

Yes, I try to avoid them too but you can get pulled over just for that....and no other reason. I agree, in the end it could be much faster to go through the checkpoint, if you are sober. But this is just mu opinion.
Nothing shows a mans character more than what he laughs at.
lalla3

Postby aescby » Sat Dec 24, 2011 4:33 pm

The officers will suspect that you have done something illegal.
aescby

Return to Traffic Law