Advertisments:

Sponsor Links:

Discount Legal Forms
Discounted Legal Texts

Invasion Of Privacy From Coworkers

Defamation Law Discussion Forum

Postby Ciqala » Wed Nov 23, 2016 4:10 pm

About two months ago, my boyfriend from England came to stay with me for two weeks.  Apparently, I became the subject of office gossip because four of my coworkers felt it was wrong to have a man stay with me in my home with my three children present.  Never mind that he is a father of four children with sole custody of them.  Anyway, one day at work as the four were discussing my private life, one of them decided to email my ex-husband to let him know about my visitor.  Because I wasn't the one to let my ex know about the situation, he went absolutely crazy.  He kept coming to my house, beating down my door, yelling obscenities.  He threatened to hurt my boyfriend and threatened to kill me.  Police were called and it also led to him reporting me to child protective services. All in view of my three young children. My whole life got turned upside-down because of my interfering coworkers. At the time, I felt that one particular girl was responsible. The three others led me to believe that I was delusional and making things up.  Yesterday, because one girl decided to stop her ADHD medication, the truth was revealed that all four played a part, including my office manager!  My question is, can I take legal recourse?
Ciqala

Postby Fiacra » Sun Nov 27, 2016 1:17 pm

Lori - Since nothing that was said by anyone was dishonest, I cannot see a cause of action against the culprits.  Interfering neighbors and coworkers are everywhere, and we'd all be involved in constant lawsuits if there were a way to sue over it.  Libel and slander only exist when an untruth is told with malice and the intent to harm another.  Nothing like that happened here.  

You need to get a protection from abuse order against your ex, however.  His behavior is dangerous, and completely over the top for someone who is an ex-husband.  When you obtain the order, be sure to give a copy to your HR department along with a brief explanation of why contact with him should be avoided by everyone in the office, including your office manager.  Ask HR to have a talk with the people responsible.  Endangering you and perhaps others in the company should be a priority with HR, even if the others are idiots.  
Fiacra

Postby Cochise » Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:12 am

About two months ago, my boyfriend from England came to stay with me for two weeks.  Apparently, I became the subject of office gossip because four of my coworkers felt it was wrong to have a man stay with me in my home with my three children present.  Never mind that he is a father of four children with sole custody of them.  Anyway, one day at work as the four were discussing my private life, one of them decided to email my ex-husband to let him know about my visitor.  Because I wasn't the one to let my ex know about the situation, he went absolutely crazy.  He kept coming to my house, beating down my door, yelling obscenities.  He threatened to hurt my boyfriend and threatened to kill me.  Police were called and it also led to him reporting me to child protective services. All in view of my three young children. My whole life got turned upside-down because of my interfering coworkers. At the time, I felt that one particular girl was responsible. The three others led me to believe that I was delusional and making things up.  Yesterday, because one girl decided to stop her ADHD medication, the truth was revealed that all four played a part, including my office manager!  My question is, can I take legal recourse?
Cochise

Return to Defamation Law