Not logged in? Join one of the bigest Law Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: Tips for Achieving an Amicable Divorce

Advertisments:

Sponsor Links:

Discount Legal Forms
Discounted Legal Texts

Intersection Law Question (NC)?

Been involved in a traffic accident? Discuss traffic laws here

Postby gall » Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:12 am

If I right turn on red and a car from another direction has a green arrow and turns into the lane furthest from theirs not the closest (aka the lane I am right turning into) and they hit me who is at fault? This almost happened today and I am unsure whose fault it would be. Also if I have a red arrow but the direction has a green light can I go if it is clear from oncoming traffic?
gall

Postby ji » Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:13 am

It is not illegal to turn into the farthest lane. There is no law in the NC code that says it is. However, it is illegal to turn when you have the red light and someone else has the green light and is turning. So - you would be at fault if there were an accident.

It's only illegal to turn into a farther lane if the turning lane is marked during the turn (like when there is more than one turning lane). I'm not sure why you asked this question since you seem pretty determined that you already know the answer. Read the following NC law on turning at intersections:

§ 20?153. Turning at intersections.
(a) Right Turns. – Both the approach for a right turn and a right turn shall be made as close as practicable to the right?hand curb or edge of the roadway.
(b) Left Turns. – The driver of a vehicle intending to turn left at any intersection shall approach the intersection in the extreme left?hand lane lawfully available to traffic moving in the direction of travel of that vehicle, and, after entering the intersection, the left turn shall be made so as to leave the intersection in a lane lawfully available to traffic moving in the direction upon the roadway being entered.
(c) Local authorities and the Department of Transportation, in their respective jurisdictions, may modify the foregoing method of turning at intersections by clearly indicating by buttons, markers, or other direction signs within an intersection the course to be followed by vehicles turning thereat, and it shall be unlawful for any driver to fail to turn in a manner as so directed. (1937, c. 407, s. 115; 1955, c. 913, s. 5; 1973, c. 1330, s. 18; 1977, c. 464, s. 34; 1997?405, s. 1.)

So, the turn need only be made into a lane that is moving in that direction. Got it? Awesome
ji

Postby fionnbharr » Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:18 am

It is not illegal to turn into the farthest lane. There is no law in the NC code that says it is. However, it is illegal to turn when you have the red light and someone else has the green light and is turning. So - you would be at fault if there were an accident.

It's only illegal to turn into a farther lane if the turning lane is marked during the turn (like when there is more than one turning lane). I'm not sure why you asked this question since you seem pretty determined that you already know the answer. Read the following NC law on turning at intersections:

§ 20?153. Turning at intersections.
(a) Right Turns. – Both the approach for a right turn and a right turn shall be made as close as practicable to the right?hand curb or edge of the roadway.
(b) Left Turns. – The driver of a vehicle intending to turn left at any intersection shall approach the intersection in the extreme left?hand lane lawfully available to traffic moving in the direction of travel of that vehicle, and, after entering the intersection, the left turn shall be made so as to leave the intersection in a lane lawfully available to traffic moving in the direction upon the roadway being entered.
(c) Local authorities and the Department of Transportation, in their respective jurisdictions, may modify the foregoing method of turning at intersections by clearly indicating by buttons, markers, or other direction signs within an intersection the course to be followed by vehicles turning thereat, and it shall be unlawful for any driver to fail to turn in a manner as so directed. (1937, c. 407, s. 115; 1955, c. 913, s. 5; 1973, c. 1330, s. 18; 1977, c. 464, s. 34; 1997?405, s. 1.)

So, the turn need only be made into a lane that is moving in that direction. Got it? Awesome
The person with the red light is always at fault.
Red means STOP then only AFTER you have made sure there is NO incoming traffic you can proceed with caution.
fionnbharr

Postby delton » Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:27 am

You would be at fault as you didn't yield to the oncoming car and they had the right of way. If there is no sign that says, "no right turn on red," you can't go until the light is green. If you have a red arrow, that would normally mean you can't go as it is saying you have a red light for that turn. If there is no arrow or no sign, you can stop as you treat it like a stop sign then, make sure the area is clear and then go.

Sorry to break it to you, but if another car hit you, you did not yield. Yield means stop for oncoming traffic. It doesn't mean to look and if you don't see anyone coming to go. It was a mistep on your part that the person hit your car because you didn't yield. This is a very open and shut case. You said on here they had a green light and you had a red light. That is ALL that needs to be known.
delton

Postby zacchaeus21 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:38 am

You would be at fault. You had a red light that means you have to yield to whomever has the green light and then you may turn right. If you have a red arrow you cannot turn at all.
zacchaeus21

Return to Traffic Law