Welcome to Law-Forums.org!   

Advertisments:

Sponsor Links:

Discount Legal Forms
Discounted Legal Texts

Intent To Sue Orthodontist

Been the victim of Medical Malpractice or fighting a malpractice suit? Discuss it here.

Postby tupi49 » Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:35 pm

Dr Schroder,

I am 21 years old. I will have had braces 8 years in October. My insurance only paid for two orthodontists in my town, and because my father had a bad experience with the other one, I got stuck with the one I have. My contract was to pay for two years and that after that I wouldn't have to pay anything to continue seeing him. I have had two root exposures(once on one tooth and twice on another) that were two years apart. I don't understand why my orthodontist didn't notice my tooth wasn't coming down until two years after the surgery, but I don't know teeth. When I first went to my orthodontist, he guaranteed my braces would be off by my senior portraits(approx three years later) and unfortunately, they weren't. I moved to prep school and missed a few appointments. Then, I moved home for a year and never missed a single one. I am now beginning my fourth year of college, which is 2 hours away from my orthodontist. With class and work, I do occasionally miss appointments. I have been going pretty regularly lately, and when I asked my orthodontist if my braces were anywhere near being ready to come off, he laughed and said no. When I went to my dentist, he told me that if I attended all my appointments, that I should have my braces off in 6 months, in time for my next check-up. My next check-up is next week. It is very inconvenient to come in once a month to visit him, and we can't afford to start paying for someone else. Not only is it embarrassing to have braces so long, it is also very painful. Something should be done. Would I have a case against my orthodontist?
tupi49

Postby Haraford » Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:31 pm

You need to see a dental malpractice lawyer. Most malpractice lawyers will not know too much about dental cases or dental care. You can find dental malpractice lawyers in large cities. Try your library for Yellow Pages they may have. and start looking there. Or, you can phone your local Dental Society and they might know a few lawyers to refer you to. You might even try Google for dental malpractice lawyers. It is that kind of lawyer you need.

It is next to impossible to know if you have a malpactice from here. Your story does sound as if you have had lousy treatment. You mention two root exposures? That does not sound right.

One problem is that your father also needed to have orthodontry. That sounds as if you both had bad mouths and that will reduce your chances for a malpractice action. But talk to a couple of lawyers and see what they say. Most lawyers will give you time to talk free, and you will be able to decide what to do.
Haraford

Return to Medical Malpractice