Advertisments:

Sponsor Links:

Discount Legal Forms
Discounted Legal Texts

Injury From Bathroom Ceiling Falling

Discussions relating to Personal Injury Law

Postby jerard » Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:50 pm

------------------------- Followup To in my case being that i live in a multi-dwelling apt building will the insurance company settle or will we go to court/trial. also hhow long does a case like this take..

- I have repeatly informed my buildings owner that there was a hole and waterleakage in my ceiling over the shower.that was in feb 2004 so I took pictuers. well in june when i was in the shower the ceiling fell on me also causing me to  slip and fall and hurt my self. I went to see a lawyer I also brought pictures from feb and june ceiling distasters. but my apt also has a great degree of black mold and my 10yrs old daugther now has asthma. question should this black mold)issue be included in my case or should it be separate. In the pictures of the bathroom you can see the blackmole on the wall the ceiling and the window ceil.
jerard

Postby Acharon » Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:13 pm

Hi again Charle. I assume that you are only asking about your case so that is only the one I give my answer to. The Landlords' insurance company will eventually settle the case unless they feel that the falling ceiling and your slip weren't caused by the water damage and that you merely fell in the shower. The nature and extent of your injuries, your treatment, time lost from work, etc are the factors they will go by. If you and your Attorney ask for too much money then the insurance company will have their Attorneys defend them in court and the case can last for around 3 years. If your injuries are minor {no fractures, lost time from work, etc} then they will settle soon for a minimal amount of money. I do not know the nature and extent of your injuries so I can only give you a text-book answer such as this.  
Acharon

Postby Ceredig » Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:46 pm

------------------------- Followup To in my case being that i live in a multi-dwelling apt building will the insurance company settle or will we go to court/trial. also hhow long does a case like this take..

- I have repeatly informed my buildings owner that there was a hole and waterleakage in my ceiling over the shower.that was in feb 2004 so I took pictuers. well in june when i was in the shower the ceiling fell on me also causing me to  slip and fall and hurt my self. I went to see a lawyer I also brought pictures from feb and june ceiling distasters. but my apt also has a great degree of black mold and my 10yrs old daugther now has asthma. question should this black mold)issue be included in my case or should it be separate. In the pictures of the bathroom you can see the blackmole on the wall the ceiling and the window ceil.
Ceredig

Postby Codi » Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:23 am

- Hi Charle. There should be a seperate case for your daughter for two reasons. Reason one is that the water damage that caused your injuries is one event and only you were injured due to the structural damage done by water. You should be able to settle this matter and see a few dollars from it. Your daughter has a far more different and serious case! Her asthmatic condition, if proven to be caused by the mold, could result in a permanent breathing problem that might worsen with age! Let the Attorney put the landlord on notice of the intention to sue ASAP. Nothing will be done with the case for some time due to her age. There will come a time when her Dr. will be able to assess the permanence of her condition and at that point the case will begin in earnest. As long as the landlord is put on notice by your Attorney then the statute of limitations for bringing a lawsuit on her behalf will "toll" due to her age meaning that in the future she might see a significent monetary settlement that she can use when she reaches the age of 18.
Codi

Return to Personal Injury Law