Not logged in? Join one of the bigest Law Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: Tips for Achieving an Amicable Divorce

Advertisments:

Sponsor Links:

Discount Legal Forms
Discounted Legal Texts

In Florida, does my landlord have to provide screens on windows and sliding doors? And what about appliances?

Having a dispute with a tenant or landlord? Rental Law discussion

In Florida, does my landlord have to provide screens on windows and sliding doors? And what about appliances?

Postby bachir93 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:17 pm

I live in Florida and when I moved into my new place the landlord said there was a functional washer and dryer and that everything we needed would be taken care of. Well, the windows and sliding door don't have screens and the washer and dryer don't work (they are actually dangerous to use). I was wondering if screens are required by Florida state law and if the landlord has to either fix or replace the broken washer and dryer. He says no to the washer and dryer because the previous tenant left it there and it isn't his responsibility. He said that after I moved in.

Thanks!
bachir93

Postby claudius » Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:26 pm

If building/housing/health codes require screens, then the landlord is required to provide screens.

As far as the washer dryer, FL statutes/codes do not require landlords to repair non-essential appliances unless it is outlined in your lease.
claudius

Postby seager » Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:32 pm

No landlord in any state is legally required to include window screens. A washer & dryer are also not legally required to be included. Those are all amenities & he does not have to provide or fix them.

Some on here will argue that he has to fix them since they were included when you moved in, however this is a bit different since the last tenant left them. He probably had no knowledge if they worked or not from the get go.

EDIT: Nope. As far as he knew they worked. He had no legal obligation to tell you he did not know if they worked or that they were left by another tenant. Tenants always try to cry bait & switch with landlords but that never works.
seager

Postby crom » Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:39 pm

The screens, I would say no, he doesn't have to provide them. The washer and dryer, check the lease. There should be a clause that states whether the landlord is responsible for them or they are included "as a courtesy." If as a courtesy, then it's up to the tenant to repair or replace the machines. If you get them replaced, however, you get to take them with you when you leave.
crom

Postby lawly1 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:44 pm

Screens are not required and if the washer & dryer are not spelled out in the lease as being included, he is not responsible for them either.
lawly1

Postby ayize » Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:46 pm

No fraud. A W/D is considered a luxury item and not required for habitability. Unless it's listed in the lease, the landlord is not responsible for it's repair and/or replacement.

Florida law does not require the landlord to provide screens.

When you move into your next place, make sure you get everything in writing.
ayize

Return to Rental Law