Sponsor Links:

Discount Legal Forms
Discounted Legal Texts

Import And Distribution Licenses

The law of the sea.

Postby Naaman » Fri Jul 29, 2016 5:25 pm

Good evening David,

We are starting an import and distribution company in South Florida to import a natural food supplement from Ecuador in South America. I understand that an import license is not required, but can you comment and/or confirm?

We will act as stocking wholesalers and sell on to the retail trade. Do we need a license to act as wholesalers in the instance?

Any advice you can give would be highly appreciated.

Regards,

Richard

ANSWER: Statutory business registration  and the meeting  of such requirements is one thing- I am sure if you are going to bring in such wine yourself , you will need a wholesalers license in meeting with Florida state laws-

Intermediary do not deal with physical possession of goods, they deal in the title of goods- thus goods are purchased and sold to the end buyer while the ship is still at sea yet to arrive at customs destination ports- in where the end buyer surrenders purchased title to obtain physical possession of goods-

In your case you are the END Buyer who is buying the goods(so it seems) , taking physical delivery of such for storing into  you warehouse-

Thus your company has to secure the import permit, pay for all Tariffs and custom taxes , transport, and leasing charges of the warehouse -

The warehouse side of the business is a business son its own right based on USA state laws - thus for tax purposes and business deduction, the warehouse should be at least registered as a business-Unless you are only renting space in a warehouse then nothing is required- Thus the holding the import Permit means that you are both the importer and distributor- The distributor should at least still convey a registered  Business name if anything-

If you are going to buy such wine from selected wineries then ensure that at the very least  you have exclusive rights as an importer applies - This allows you to ask the supplier to print on the label- I.e:"Exclusive  Importer- Richard's Distributors USA" Thus If a buyer in New York lets say tastes your wine and wants to store it in their outlet , then all they  need to do is to look up who is  " Richard  Distributor" because you would have filed a name of business registration or some other similar document as appropriate in your country-

Or you could apply the company  name as the "distributor" and "importer" if such a company structure is set up- In where the services of a very goods  import manager hold title. Kind Regards

Davide Papa

www.ftnexporting.com

www.ftnx.9f.com  

---------- FOLLOW-UP ----------

We are not going to import wine!  We are importing a natural food supplement - Spirulina. So I repeat my question and would appreciate your comments/advice.

"Good evening David,

We are starting an import and distribution company in South Florida to import a natural food supplement from Ecuador in South America. I understand that an import license is not required, but can you comment and/or confirm?

We will act as stocking wholesalers and sell on to the retail trade. Do we need a license to act as wholesalers in the instance?

Regards,

Richard"
Naaman

Postby Ammon » Thu Aug 04, 2016 4:05 am

Your question has been answered - regardless if its sugar, wine, vitamins or whatever- the same applies -Import permits may also mean custom FDA clearance  and meeting  labeling laws - may need to also apply- these are all matters of internal application- You have to spend month doing your own homework- As far as the actual question goes it's still all relevant as answered- as it applies to International Trade matters and not internal matters of laws. When the ship loads your goods at port of the loading the goods a belong to you- thus You need to be 100% sure of that you can get Possession of goods  when the ship arrives- Thus YOU NEED TO CHECK WITH CUSTOM on requirements needed to clear such goods when such arrives-(DOCUMENT REQUIREMENTS that you need to secure to clear customs)  That's your main concern- Once the goods are in your possession , usual USA  business laws apply-

DON'T GET CONFUSED - IF THE GOODS CLEAR CUSTOMS- THAT'S ONE STAGE- THAT MEANS YOU CAN IMPORT THE GOODS AND OBTAIN SUCH INTO YOUR POSSESSION- MATTERS REGARDING LOCALIZED BUSINESS APPLICATION IS ANOTHER PROBLEM NOT ASSOCIATED WITH GETTING POSSESSION OF GOODS-

I can't answer matters of Your internal laws- I live half way around the world in another country- But get this; If you don't clear customs- You will lose both money and goods- One has nothing to do with the other. Once goods are in your hand then you may dispose of such as per normal practices as it relates to the laws in your country.

Regards

Davide Papa

www.ftnx.9f.com  
Ammon

Postby Seldon » Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:18 am

Good evening David,

Regards,

Richard

ANSWER: Statutory business registration  and the meeting  of such requirements is one thing- I am sure if you are going to bring in such wine yourself , you will need a wholesalers license in meeting with Florida state laws-

Intermediary do not deal with physical possession of goods, they deal in the title of goods- thus goods are purchased and sold to the end buyer while the ship is still at sea yet to arrive at customs destination ports- in where the end buyer surrenders purchased title to obtain physical possession of goods-

In your case you are the END Buyer who is buying the goods(so it seems) , taking physical delivery of such for storing into  you warehouse-

Thus your company has to secure the import permit, pay for all Tariffs and custom taxes , transport, and leasing charges of the warehouse -

The warehouse side of the business is a business son its own right based on USA state laws - thus for tax purposes and business deduction, the warehouse should be at least registered as a business-Unless you are only renting space in a warehouse then nothing is required- Thus the holding the import Permit means that you are both the importer and distributor- The distributor should at least still convey a registered  Business name if anything-

If you are going to buy such wine from selected wineries then ensure that at the very least  you have exclusive rights as an importer applies - This allows you to ask the supplier to print on the label- I.e:"Exclusive  Importer- Richard's Distributors USA" Thus If a buyer in New York lets say tastes your wine and wants to store it in their outlet , then all they  need to do is to look up who is  " Richard  Distributor" because you would have filed a name of business registration or some other similar document as appropriate in your country-

Or you could apply the company  name as the "distributor" and "importer" if such a company structure is set up- In where the services of a very goods  import manager hold title. Kind Regards

Davide Papa

www.ftnexporting.com

www.ftnx.9f.com  

---------- FOLLOW-UP ----------

We are not going to import wine!  We are importing a natural food supplement - Spirulina. So I repeat my question and would appreciate your comments/advice.

"Good evening David,

Regards,

Richard"
Seldon

Return to Maritime Law