Advertisments:

Sponsor Links:

Discount Legal Forms
Discounted Legal Texts

Impatiens Not Blooming

Patents & Trademarks Discussion Forum

Impatiens Not Blooming

Postby Boice » Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:53 am

I planted impatiens in two flower boxes.  THey get morning sun and afternoon shade.  They started off flowering like crazy.  But now they have only occasional flowers.  The plants look healthy, are well watered and growing vigourously.  But they are not flowering.  I have been trying liquid fertizlizer for two weeks with my watering, but with no effect.
Boice

Impatiens Not Blooming

Postby Wilfred » Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:01 am

ooops... I clicked too fast under the "sorry I can't answer that" -- I was just too too IMPATIENT about logging in... what a coincidence!

OK, Derrick.  Let's get down to business here.

I have been gardening my whole life - and certainly had no trouble with impatiens.  So it throws me when someone asks me why their impatiens won't bloom.  Especially since I see these plants lighting up shady corners all over Long Island through the hottest summer days.

How can you miss?

Well, you did.  The question is, How?

Well, Derrick, since I don't know EVERYTHING about Impatiens, I decided to find someone who does.  A famous expert on impatiens who is a gardener.

His name is Derick Pitman -- aka "Mr Impatiens", whose work for San Francisco's Strybing Botanical Gardens and the Kartuz Greenhouses is expanding these important collections of Impatiens species(mrimpatiens.com/aa%20who_is_mr%20impatiens.htm).

Mr Pitman has this to say about your sulking plants: "If he is grow New Guinea Impatiens, they are known to stop flowering when it gets hot. I prefer the varigated forms for this time of year, you still get color if not flowers."

New Guinea Impatiens are described at the Iowa State Cooperative extension on a special New Guinea page(www.ipm.iastate.edu/ipm/hortnews/1994/3-30-1994/impatien.html).  

People who attempt New Guinea impatiens learn it is a little trickier than regular Impatiens.  

He notes: "Gardeners who have tried New Guineas in the past may have been disappointed in their garden performance. Uninformed retailers sold them as impatiens for full sun. In Iowa, full sun is not a good location for best growth. New Guineas grow best where they will receive morning sun and afternoon shade. An eastern exposure is ideal."

Unless you are growing them in very poor soil, Impatiens do not as a rule need to be fertilized -- check the Analysis on the side of your fertilizer to see if perhaps you are dosing your plants up with Nitrogen.

The N-P-K number on the side of the container will give you the info you need: It is posted as three numbers linked with dashes, something like 10-5-5 or 5-8-3.  The key is to know which number should be the biggest.  EVEN IF THE CONTAINER SAYS THIS IS FlOWER FOOD, THE NUMBER IN THE MIDDLE MUST BE THE BIGGEST NUMBER.  For good flowers, you need a fertilizer with low numbers, or even a zero, at the two ends: 5-10-5 or 7-14-3.  NOT 20-5-5 or 30-10-10.  The MIDDLE number has to be the biggest.  Otherwise do not feed at all.  In this case, less will be more.

I think this covers all potential problems, Derrick.  Let me know how it works out.  You should have flowers in 3 weeks.  These little things bloom like hotcakes.
Wilfred

Impatiens Not Blooming

Postby Jorell » Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:17 pm

I planted impatiens in two flower boxes.  THey get morning sun and afternoon shade.  They started off flowering like crazy.  But now they have only occasional flowers.  The plants look healthy, are well watered and growing vigourously.  But they are not flowering.  I have been trying liquid fertizlizer for two weeks with my watering, but with no effect.
Jorell

Return to Patents & Trademarks