Not logged in? Join one of the bigest Law Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: Tips for Achieving an Amicable Divorce

Advertisments:

Sponsor Links:

Discount Legal Forms
Discounted Legal Texts

Im being sued can my car be taken away ?

Discuss anything to do with property law - buying, selling property

Postby alleyne » Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:05 pm

I received a summons from a collection agency for under 3000 it states if i don't respond in 30 days my wages will be garnished or my property can be taken away. my question is can my car that is already paid off be taken by the court if its under my brother in laws name and my name. I'm the Co owner. Please help this is my first summons ever! I was unable to pay this debt cause i was out of work die two years, i'm now working and don't mind garnished wages but will i have to go to court?? Am i allowed to call the plaintiffs attorney and try to make payment arrangements? I'm stressed please help
alleyne

Postby christie42 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:13 pm

what is the bill for, without being to specific, if you don't want, but I'd need a general description of what kind of bill it is to answer.
christie42

Postby eoforwic » Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:17 pm

NO. They wont take your car. They would need a court order for that. Summons is not a court order for that. That's basically just an notice to appear. What they mean by your wages can be garnished is if you don't appear they can get a judgement against you. I would fight it. I would File a motion to dismiss. I would cite everything from improper service to lack of jurisdiction. I would drown the sleazeball attorney in paperwork too. haha! I know what I am doing though. For you I would suggest you contact an attorney right away as you clearly do not understand anything legal.
eoforwic

Postby hewlett » Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:21 pm

1. Get an attorney
2. DO NOT repeat DO NOT call the plaintiff's attorney. Your attorney will do that for you.

The collection agency doesn't care how they get the money as long as, it is ASAP, on their timetable, not yours. They will hound you until they get the money.

At the same time, there has been discussion in the U.S. Congress regarding the practices of collection agencies, and their nature of threatening debtors.
hewlett

Return to Property Law