Not logged in? Join one of the bigest Law Forums on the Internet! Join Now!  

Advertisments:

Sponsor Links:

Discount Legal Forms
Discounted Legal Texts

If my neighbors call the cops for me smoking weed on my own property can i be arrested?

Discuss anything to do with property law - buying, selling property

If my neighbors call the cops for me smoking weed on my own property can i be arrested?

Postby matyas » Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:12 pm

I like to first start by saying Im nineteen I live in city north of Boston MA, in a three family apartment and ive be smoking weed since I was 16 . I go to college and work full time and by all accounts im a productive member of my community. BUT just the other day my buddy and I were smoking a joint in my car parked in my drive way when one of the other tenants walked over to my car and demanded I stop smoking pot or they would call the police and have me thrown out of my home! Their reasoning being my pot smoke was traveling from my car into the halls, up two floors, and into there child's bedroom getting the kid high as kite. I tried to reason with her telling her there is no way her kid could get high and that weed was decimalized and I was not breaking any law she refused to listen to reason and proceed to harass me.

So my question is... is this ***** for real? And am I at any risk of losing my home and freedom for smoking on property I pay good money to rent?
Anyone with legal knowledge on this situation your insight would be greatly appreciated!
matyas

Postby hillocke » Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:19 pm

Smoking pot is still illegal in Massachusetts, but barely. Less than an ounce will get you a civil fine (like a parking ticket) of up to $100.

The law does not differentiate whether you are on your own property or not. You're more likely to get the cops involved if you do it in Boson Common than in your bedroom, but you can be fined either way.

If you're smoking in your car parked near people, that will also increase your chances of the police getting involved.
hillocke

Postby chiram97 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:28 pm

Unless the apartment owner has a problem with it, it's unlikely you will be kicked out of your apartment. The cops could get you in trouble for possession, but I don't know how serious the charges would be since I don't live in MA.
chiram97

Postby link » Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:31 pm

Unless the apartment owner has a problem with it, it's unlikely you will be kicked out of your apartment. The cops could get you in trouble for possession, but I don't know how serious the charges would be since I don't live in MA.
Your neighbor is a busy body, but smoking pot is against the law even were it is decriminalized. If you do it in public were other people can see you and they report you the police will respond.
link

Postby veto » Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:34 pm

Your neighbor is a busy body, but smoking pot is against the law even were it is decriminalized. If you do it in public were other people can see you and they report you the police will respond.
Yes, you can get arrested! Who said weed has been decriminalized? Only for medical use in some states, not for just anyone to smoke. Geez, have fun in the slammer with yo boyfriend!!!
veto

Postby kyledyr » Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:43 pm

I doubt the police are particularly interested in your pot smoking so long as you are discreet about it.
kyledyr

Postby fyfe » Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:46 pm

If it is decriminalized you won't get arrested if your not an @sshole to the cops. You could get a ticket.
fyfe

Postby coinleain » Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:49 pm

In MA:

It is illegal to have and smoke weed without a medical marijuana card - your own home or not. You can be fined ( not criminal) $110.00
The smoking of weed in Public with a marijuana card is under big scrutiny right now.

There will be new laws about smoking in public or where neighbors can see.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Massachusetts_Sensible_Marijuana_Policy_Initiative

http://norml.org/index.cfm?wtm_view=&Group_ID=4543
coinleain

Postby winfrid12 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:00 pm

Technically it's still illegal, and it sounds like a pretty ludicrous assertion that your smoke was getting to her kid and getting him/her inebriated. Your neighbor probably could talk to your landlord and get you kicked out, as disturbing the neighbors and having illegal substances in your place isn't a desirable situation for your landlord.

My recommendation is that you leave your neighbor alone, and find a new, more secluded place to smoke. Also, support legalization. http://www.norml.org Good luck.
winfrid12

Postby benon » Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:05 pm

yes..
benon

Next

Return to Property Law