Not logged in? Join one of the bigest Law Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: Research Law Professors Before Choosing Law Schools

Advertisments:

Sponsor Links:

Discount Legal Forms
Discounted Legal Texts

If I lived in my apartment for 4 years, am I responsible to replace the carpets?

Having a dispute with a tenant or landlord? Rental Law discussion

If I lived in my apartment for 4 years, am I responsible to replace the carpets?

Postby tredway » Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:52 pm

I will be moving out of my California apartment in one year, and have been there for 3 years already. The carpet was new when we moved in, and in the lease it says that it is required for the tenants to pay for carpet cleaning upon leaving (whether through them or through a company that you hire). My mother-in-laws boyfriend said something about if you live in an apartment for more than 3 years than you are not responsible to pay for replacement carpet. I was wondering if there was any truth to that, if after 4 years in the same apartment am I responsible to pay for new carpet?
tredway

Postby berwin » Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:52 pm

I will be moving out of my California apartment in one year, and have been there for 3 years already. The carpet was new when we moved in, and in the lease it says that it is required for the tenants to pay for carpet cleaning upon leaving (whether through them or through a company that you hire). My mother-in-laws boyfriend said something about if you live in an apartment for more than 3 years than you are not responsible to pay for replacement carpet. I was wondering if there was any truth to that, if after 4 years in the same apartment am I responsible to pay for new carpet?
berwin

Postby wattekinson86 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:55 pm

The lease is referring to cleaning the carpet, not replacing the carpet. Having it cleaned will only cost you like $100 probably.

You would only be responsible for replacing the carpets if you damaged them during your tenancy. Since it's the landlord's property and you broke it, you would have to pay for it. Maybe there is a rule about not having to replace carpets if you've lived there for 4 years, I don't know. The point is, nobody is asking you to replace the carpet.
wattekinson86

Postby vipponah » Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:58 pm

where did this boyfriend's suposed "rule" come from? when you rent an apartment, you abide by the terms of the lease, not some old wives' tale.
vipponah

Postby chavivi » Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:00 pm

Your lease requires you to pay for the cleaning. You do not have to pay for replacement carpet unless you have done something to damage it beyond normal wear and tear.

Carpet should last for longer than 4 years, so it is unlikely to require replacement. If you determine that the landlord intends to replace it when you move, you might ask them to waive (in writing) the cleaning requirement as it would be a waste of money.
chavivi

Postby jomei69 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:01 pm

You need to have them cleaned. Normal wear and tear should cover things like traffic pattern matting and possibly small spots like near furniture. However, if there are major stains, tears, or other damage, you will have to replace the carpets at your expense.
jomei69

Postby elkanah1 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:09 pm

You may or may not, depends on how it was damaged.
elkanah1

Postby ricki » Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:11 pm

If you ruined it. yes.

Unless you lived there longer then ten years then they have to, if not sorry
ricki

Postby ricki » Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:15 pm

When was the last time it was cleaned ? Sounds like u need to clean it .
ricki

Postby panteno » Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:24 pm

Your mother-in-law's boyfriend is very wrong. There is no such law or rule. The rule is "if you damage the carpet, you pay for replacement", generally prorated on its expected lifespan. Carpets have an expected life of much longer than three years.
panteno

Next

Return to Rental Law