Welcome to Law-Forums.org!   

Advertisments:

Sponsor Links:

Discount Legal Forms
Discounted Legal Texts

If i call a person an idiot after work in a bar but ignore him at work is that slander?

Defamation Law Discussion Forum

If i call a person an idiot after work in a bar but ignore him at work is that slander?

Postby augustus » Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:49 pm

I work with this guy that is a total jerk and is an A$$ to everyone. Well i finally quit dealing with him during the work hours but have no problem letting everyone know his true character and the idiot that he is. He's friends with the Program Manager so he thinks he can get anyone in trouble that stands up to him. I haven't spoken to him at work in a year, and yes our office is next to each other. Go figure. Anyway, he decided to complain that i was harrassing him and slandering him. Anything said is after hours in a lounge. I don't bring work into this but i have no problem telling him exactly what i think of him. Where do i stand? Is it Slander? I just couldn't sit back and let him treat people anyway he thinks and i am glad to let him know it. Yes, i have called him an idiot, a paranoid individual, an A$$hole and the sort but always after work and never mention work
augustus

Postby bronsin » Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:51 pm

Slander is slander no matter where it happens.
bronsin

Postby forde » Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:52 pm

Slander is slander no matter where it happens.
You can be fired for harassing a coworker on your free time. You can also face criminal charges.

As for the slander: that's the least of your problems; slander is a civil offence (you get sued), harassment and disturbance of peace are criminal offences (you get criminal charges.)

You can tell people you don't like them, but when you use offensive words, like idiot and a**hole, you expose yourself to face legal problems.
forde

Postby stein74 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:59 pm

Yes it is :)
stein74

Postby artek57 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:01 pm

That's not exactly slander but you certainly can (and should) be fired.
artek57

Postby osryd » Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:05 pm

Sure you can.

But if he ever gets promoted over you...your screwed.

Just because you acted like an A$$ hat yourself after work does not mean that he's going to forget that at work. Most states are right to work, so they don't need a reason to fire you. If he gets promoted, the joke ends up being on you and you turn out to be the idiot. Because, he'll find a way to get rid of you.

It's also possible that your current course of action could get you terminated. Your bad attitude in the office could be grounds for termination. Most companies don't want the drama in the office. You push it too far and you're the one to be fired.

As it is, you've probably done damage to your career. You are not a team player. You don't have the ability to work with different personality types. You have a bad attitude.

Your best bet would be to act civilly toward him at work and refrain from hanging out with him after work. You never know what idiot is going to be promoted over you in your career. Better not to have an enemy.
osryd

Postby smid » Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:08 pm

Nope.
smid

Return to Defamation Law