Advertisments:

Sponsor Links:

Discount Legal Forms
Discounted Legal Texts

I Was Never Contacted By Collector Before It Was Put On My Credit Report

Discuss the legalities of Bankruptcy Law

Postby Farquhar » Thu Nov 24, 2016 1:53 pm

Recently, my mother calls me to inform me that she has a ding on her credit report for an outstanding balance on my Verizon Wireless account. I initially had to add her to my account because someone else had been using my social security number through Verizon and I could not get a phone that day without disputing it, which would take weeks.  However, I called Verizon immediately to find out what the outstanding charge was since it dated back to May of 2008.  I was told that I owed a balance of $31.19 from my account before it was switched over to my husbands account.  I know that I paid my account off in full before switching my account because I could not switch my account over without doing so.  

I spoke with a very rude woman at VZW and was then given a phone number for CBCS collection agency, I immediately called and paid the amount.  I then called Verizon back and spoke with Shane.  I had told them that no one from Verizon or CBCS had ever contacted me regarding the amount in question.  He said that is not Verizon’s responsibility to keep my contact information up to date.  But my contact information was current, I kept the same phone number until 2/2009 and the same address till 7/2008 and then had my mail forwarded to my new address.  They also had my husbands contact information on file.  

The information I gathered from both representatives was that on 2/14/08 I had called to change my contact information to my(then) current address of 2119 Price St where I resided until 7/08.  On 2/15/08 I had paid in full on my account and was able to switch to my husbands account.  I was then contacted on 4/25/08 and was told that I had not paid my account in full which is contradicting to the 2/15 conversation.  At that time no one ever told me that there were final charges after I paid my bill.  Shane later told me that customers do not know that there is final charge and he is sorry if someone ill advised me but that I was still liable for payment.  I said I understood but that I never received anything at my address or another phone call after that call on 4/25, how would I know to pay?  He then said I was contacted on 5/9/08 but no contact was made and again on 5/13/08 again no contact.  On 5/25/08 I was written off to CBCS.  Once again I was never contacted.  

I have now been dealing with this for several weeks.  The last person I spoke with, Andy, has told me that he was told that it is a warranted claim and they will not take it off my moms credit report.  He also told me that I had signed up for e-mail notifications and not mail, so I should have received something to my e-mail.  The e-mail account they have for me is one I no longer use but still have access to and it has every single e-mail sent to me since 2007.  I did find one from them in 2/2008 stating that I need to make a payment of $31.19 but nothing ever saying it was past due or that I was being sent to collections

CBCS says that they do not report people to the credit agencies that it is verizon directly so they have no way of repealing the claim.  I've been jerked around with employees from Verizon, not receiving phone calls back for 48-96 hours, and calling phantom 800 numbers that will not allow you to get through to customer service.  I am now waiting to hear back from Manny who is Andy's supervisor for the verizon wireless recovery department.

My question is should I have to be contacted in writing or by phone about the debt in question before I am sent to collections?  And after being sent to collections shouldn't I be notified?  And by whom, the collectors or Verizon?  What legally can I do now to get this ding off of my mothers credit report?
Farquhar

Postby Hokee » Thu Nov 24, 2016 9:47 pm

Alicia,

The short answer is Verizon does not have to contact you before sending you to the collectors. CBCS was responsible for sending you the initial dunning letter(demand letter for payment).

What you need to do is to go here:http://www.henleycreditlaw.com/diy-credit-repair/

Download "Letter C" and send it to CBCS. They are doing the reporting. They may decide to drop their claim and remove it from the credit report rather than fight this further.

Chris
Hokee

Postby Gearoid » Sat Nov 26, 2016 8:23 am

Recently, my mother calls me to inform me that she has a ding on her credit report for an outstanding balance on my Verizon Wireless account. I initially had to add her to my account because someone else had been using my social security number through Verizon and I could not get a phone that day without disputing it, which would take weeks.  However, I called Verizon immediately to find out what the outstanding charge was since it dated back to May of 2008.  I was told that I owed a balance of $31.19 from my account before it was switched over to my husbands account.  I know that I paid my account off in full before switching my account because I could not switch my account over without doing so.  

I spoke with a very rude woman at VZW and was then given a phone number for CBCS collection agency, I immediately called and paid the amount.  I then called Verizon back and spoke with Shane.  I had told them that no one from Verizon or CBCS had ever contacted me regarding the amount in question.  He said that is not Verizon’s responsibility to keep my contact information up to date.  But my contact information was current, I kept the same phone number until 2/2009 and the same address till 7/2008 and then had my mail forwarded to my new address.  They also had my husbands contact information on file.  

The information I gathered from both representatives was that on 2/14/08 I had called to change my contact information to my(then) current address of 2119 Price St where I resided until 7/08.  On 2/15/08 I had paid in full on my account and was able to switch to my husbands account.  I was then contacted on 4/25/08 and was told that I had not paid my account in full which is contradicting to the 2/15 conversation.  At that time no one ever told me that there were final charges after I paid my bill.  Shane later told me that customers do not know that there is final charge and he is sorry if someone ill advised me but that I was still liable for payment.  I said I understood but that I never received anything at my address or another phone call after that call on 4/25, how would I know to pay?  He then said I was contacted on 5/9/08 but no contact was made and again on 5/13/08 again no contact.  On 5/25/08 I was written off to CBCS.  Once again I was never contacted.  

I have now been dealing with this for several weeks.  The last person I spoke with, Andy, has told me that he was told that it is a warranted claim and they will not take it off my moms credit report.  He also told me that I had signed up for e-mail notifications and not mail, so I should have received something to my e-mail.  The e-mail account they have for me is one I no longer use but still have access to and it has every single e-mail sent to me since 2007.  I did find one from them in 2/2008 stating that I need to make a payment of $31.19 but nothing ever saying it was past due or that I was being sent to collections

CBCS says that they do not report people to the credit agencies that it is verizon directly so they have no way of repealing the claim.  I've been jerked around with employees from Verizon, not receiving phone calls back for 48-96 hours, and calling phantom 800 numbers that will not allow you to get through to customer service.  I am now waiting to hear back from Manny who is Andy's supervisor for the verizon wireless recovery department.

My question is should I have to be contacted in writing or by phone about the debt in question before I am sent to collections?  And after being sent to collections shouldn't I be notified?  And by whom, the collectors or Verizon?  What legally can I do now to get this ding off of my mothers credit report?
Gearoid

Return to Bankruptcy Law