Sponsor Links:

Discount Legal Forms
Discounted Legal Texts

I Suspect My Girlfriend Is Accessing My Email- Can I Get Proof

Criminal Law Discussion Forum

Postby Birde » Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:19 pm

Chris,

I am a paid member of AOL. I have a very strong suspicion that my live-in girlfriend is getting into my email and reading same.  I don't believe she has deleted anything or used my email to send anything.  I think she is just reading stuff.

The only computer in our house is a laptop, which I usually have with me.  It is never left unattended in the house.  

So, I think she is checking my email from her computer at work, or at a friend's house, the library, etc.

The question is this- does AOL keep a record of log ins to my email, noting the date, time, and IP address?  If yes, how long are such records kept?  If she is signing in to my email, I want to know from where.

Even as a paid member, AOL would not give me a straight answer on this.

As a side note, I changed my password not too long ago- I think she was doing the logging in before I changed it.  I don't think she is getting into it now.  And, if it has any relevance, I live in NJ.

Any info you can provide would be most helpful.

Thanks.
Birde

Postby Elwen » Tue Dec 06, 2016 3:53 am

Chris,

I am a paid member of AOL. I have a very strong suspicion that my live-in girlfriend is getting into my email and reading same.  I don't believe she has deleted anything or used my email to send anything.  I think she is just reading stuff.

The only computer in our house is a laptop, which I usually have with me.  It is never left unattended in the house.  

So, I think she is checking my email from her computer at work, or at a friend's house, the library, etc.

The question is this- does AOL keep a record of log ins to my email, noting the date, time, and IP address?  If yes, how long are such records kept?  If she is signing in to my email, I want to know from where.

Even as a paid member, AOL would not give me a straight answer on this.

As a side note, I changed my password not too long ago- I think she was doing the logging in before I changed it.  I don't think she is getting into it now.  And, if it has any relevance, I live in NJ.

Any info you can provide would be most helpful.

Thanks.
Elwen

Postby Auhert » Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:25 pm

Good morning Peter,

AOL only keeps records for up to a period of 90 days in most instances. This is because of the large number of users they have and the extremely large amount of storage space it would require to maintain all of the records for all the users over a long period of time. They only keep e-mails and other records like those for up to 72 hours sometimes. So the chances of retrieving IP logs from any length of time in the past are very slim. In addition law enforcement is required to send a subpoena to AOL in order to gain access to the access logs.

With that said if you are AOL member and contact their security department, you may be able to send them a notarized letter requesting your own account access logs and they may send you what they have. Says worked in the past.

If changing your password has basically solve the problem and you really have suffered a loss from the access is it worth pursuing it and possibly incurring the cost of attorneys and other things that may result from it. Just something to think about.

Now one of the things you may consider doing that would not cost you anything but you would be very careful in doing so would be to contact her employer and inform them of your suspicions of her misuse of a company computer. They in turn should be able to check the logs on her computer and see if she has been accessing AOL from work. That's just another idea. But be careful if you do this that you are not harassing her or causing her to the fired unless there is proof that she was doing this. Some companies freak out and overreact to outside complaints in reference to things like this. Law enforcement a lot of times will call and ask for records from work, a perfect example of this is in Orlando Florida the Casey Anthony murder trial these types of records just came in handy proving someone was somewhere when they were saying they were somewhere else.

Hope this helps explain things a little bit. Be well and stay safe.
Auhert

Return to Criminal Law