Welcome to Law-Forums.org!   

Advertisments:

Sponsor Links:

Discount Legal Forms
Discounted Legal Texts

I Sent A Declaration In Opposition To Lien Sale Via Certified Mail In Ca, But It Didn't Go To Court. How Can I Still Find Out Who The Buyer Was? Do I Sue In Small Claims Court For A Wrongful Sale? What Is The Statute Of Limitations?

Having a dispute with a tenant or landlord? Rental Law discussion

I Sent A Declaration In Opposition To Lien Sale Via Certified Mail In Ca, But It Didn't Go To Court. How Can I Still Find Out Who The Buyer Was? Do I Sue In Small Claims Court For A Wrongful Sale? What Is The Statute Of Limitations?

Postby Ancel » Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:09 am

Below are 2 posts that should help explain my situation. The first I recently posted on avvo.com, but so far I have gotten no response. The 2nd is actually a letter I wrote about a week ago to a family friend who is a personal injury lawyer. Again, so far I have gotten no response, but this is probably outside her area of expertise. I'll follow this up with a few more questions. Thanks for your help in advance. I apologize for the length of this post.

What's my recourse? I sent a Declaration opposing the sale of my unit, but no court action ensued. How can I find who bought it?

I read Storage Unit Laws and Lien Sales in California by Sarah Rose Wolk, affirming to myself that I had used proper and timely steps to stop the sale of my storage unit by forcing a court action. My unit was nevertheless auctioned off on 4/24/11. I believe the owners of the storage facility failed to adhere to the law on many points. Now it's almost 1 yr later. Recently I dredged up lots of documentary evidence(& very painful emotions) with the idea that I should sue them. The storage unit must pay me the surplus received after 1 yr if they got more for it than the lien amount, right?. The crux of waiting was to find out who the buyer was. I had found no other method that worked. Now it seems plain to me that my only recourse may be to sue. Please see comment to above article for more.

I was never sent a "Preliminary Lien Notice". I was denied access to my storage unit(s) on multiple occasions prior to termination dates. Phrased another way, I was denied access to my storage unit consistently, even though I would come back to enter it prior to the next month's rent being due and/or prior to the end of the 10-day grace period. At least once I called the LA County Sheriff's office and was told I could not file a report or press charges. I know I called them on at least one other occasion because I had been threatened with assault by one of the owners and reported it. The last time I received a Notice of Lien Sale from them I disputed the amount due, but nevertheless arranged to meet with another owner(who had not physically threatened me) to pay the lien amount in full. We set a day, and she agreed that she would mail me copies of both original lease agreements.(In the past I had also stored a car there.) We agreed to leave the time of the meeting open until I had received these documents and called her back; this was also in part because she was only rarely at the office on site, and because I did not want to prompt a potentially violent reaction from the other owner. I never received the contracts, and after that point I never heard back from her, even though I called her back multiple times. I sent a Declaration in Opposition to Lien Sale to the owner via certified mail, meeting the specific requirements. None of this led to a court case, although I was under the impression that this would happen. I was not notified of the auction date, despite my written request for them to do so, also sent via certified mail. My storage unit was auctioned off on 4/24/11. Unaware of this, after the fact I found an internet post announcing the auction which did not contain a description of my unit's contents(and perhaps other details they were obliged to publish). It is unclear to me how to claim any proceeds in excess of the lien amount and costs of the sale. They have on multiple occasions refused to reveal any details concerning the auction or transaction to me. There were also numerous other instances where they did not adhere to the California code in question which I do not mention here because the points are not directly mentioned in the above article. So what do you think? Do I have a case? Do I have to initiate a case in small claims court by 4/24/12? That's this Tuesday! What is the statute of limitations here? Thank you in advance for any feedback.

Email to lawyer friend:

I wrote this as I re-read the applicable code(the same as I sent you a link to). I'm going to start by listing each code in question. I thought I would finish with an overall chronology of events, but that proved to be unnecessary. However, if it helps you to understand certain events in sequence, please ask. My first priority here is still to try to find a way to contact the buyer, but in the process I hope to prepare to sue them(which I hope will also have merit). If I do successfully sue PS(not Public Storage) I would like to compensate you for your time and effort with the money I get from the judgement. Thanks again for any advice you may be able to give me.

21701.(f) "last known address" I mailed a change of address more than once as I moved to different parts of the country. I did this prior to when the last Notice of Lien Sale was sent to me, for example(probably in the few months prior, probably with Delivery Confirmation), so that I reasonably expected them to mail any such documents to Temecula. I also did this sometime in 2009, after I had established an address in Madison, WI. After that lease was up, I mailed them a forwarding address in Detroit. I also did this in the few months following the duplicate/modified LEASE AGREEMENTs. In almost all cases, they failed to absorb the information, as evidenced by a number of documents(including other Notices of Lien Sale), and despite the fact that I had properly provided to them a different "last known address".

21702.5 Liens on vehicles. This section and the subsections that follow are very unclear to me. I refer you to the following web pages:http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/appndxa/civil/civ3071.htmhttp://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=California+Civil+Code+Sectiohttp://www.selfstoragetalk.com/legal-insurance-issues/5312-auction-vehicle-ca.ht

The car was valued under $4000. It had been salvaged in CA. Then I purchased it for between $1-2000 without a current smog certificate(as required by law). Due to this I was never able to register it. I got a number of tickets(mostly for it not being registered) which were all eventually dismissed. I speculate that a lien was placed on it by PS, but I'm not certain of this and I suspect that the owner of the facility(and perhaps even their lawyer) were swimming in some legal confusion, too. PS consistently forced me to pay the car up first before they would allow me to access either "unit". I objected to this. I was told I didn't have a choice. They furthermore denied me access to either unit(even when I was current with rent) unless I agreed to sign the modified contracts I sent to you. I objected to this, too. This was one occasion upon which I called the police(on that day I believe, or shortly thereafter), but they refused to do anything, so I felt obliged to sign it, which gave me access for the day after a big fight(a lock was put back on my main unit by the following week---D made threats to me then and on other occasions, some of them violent). In that contract it attaches the 2 units, requiring that I am paid up on both or they would not allow me access to either. I don't believe that this was in the original contracts. Before and after this, they also consistently denied me access to both units, even when I was current in rent. Even after I had removed the vehicle from their property they denied me access to the other unit though I was paid up, informing me that I needed to pay the next month's rent(not due yet) first. In the past they had only rarely acknowledged that being current should allow me access until the next month's rent was due. Also, this portion of the code seems to say that they cannot continue to charge rent on a vehicle after "the stored property is subject to a lien".

21703. "alternative address specified" I consistently provided an alternative address to PS(S's). I mailed it to PS on multiple occasions. She says she never got a Notice of Lien Sale, or anything from PS.

21703.(b) The notice states that my rights to use or access my unit had already been terminated. There is no statement in the form of "will terminate on a specified date(not less than 14 days after the mailing of the notice)".

21703.(c) It is unclear to me what the legal definition of "termination date" is, whether they should not have blacked out the date on the Notice of Lien Sale dated 2/9/11, whether they should have at least initialed the change of date, or whether "subject to a lien" means that a lien was imposed before or after the termination date that they may have included.

21705. This section seems redundant to me, and I am unclear whether it is implicit in the code that the owner "may not" perform the actions the code says he/she "may" do at this point in time("the termination date"?), such as 21705.(a)(1): "Deny an occupant access to the space."

21705.(c)(1)(C) The Notice of Lien Sale did not state as required "That the property will be sold...unless...the occupant executes and returns by certified mail a declaration under penalty of perjury in opposition to the lien sale in the form set forth inparagraph(2). As you are aware, I did do this. Worth noting that I mailed PS a copy of this as well along with the letter in late February. Somehow I had already calculated that the deadline to send the Opposition to Lien Sale declaration to the Recorder was 3/9/11, thus it is dated that way.

21705.(c)(1)(D) "That any excess proceeds of the sale over the lien amount and costs of sale will be retained by the owner and may be reclaimed by the occupant or claimed by another person at any time for a period of one year from the sale and that thereafter the proceeds will escheat to the county." I have called PS on multiple occasions after the unit had been sold on 4/24/11 to find out what it sold for and who it was sold to. I have never gotten a response from them. This is perhaps the most hurtful to me, as I feel that they have intentionally avoided any sort of communications with me for at least 13 months. I have not attempted to contact them recently though. This sounds like I should call and mail another certified letter in the near future, right? If you only helped me with this one facet of this whole mess, then this is the one I would choose.

21705.(c)(2) PS did not send either within the Notice of Lien Sale(or separately) "A blank declaration in opposition to the lien sale that shall be in substantially the following form:"(I simply copied the form from the website. Its content was identical, I believe. Please see code to illustrate.)

21706. "the date of sale set forth in the notice of lien sale" No date of sale was set in the Notice of Lien Sale. If it had been, it would have afforded me the opportunity to stop the sale of course. After the fact I found a post on some website, which was shortly thereafter removed. The ad did not 21707(a) "include a general description of the goods, the name of the person on whose account they are being stored,(or?) the space number of the occupant". It is unclear to me whether PS had an obligation to run an ad in an actual newspaper, or whether they actually did. On multiple occasions, I called(and once S called, plus once I had someone else call) to inquire about such an auction. When I called I was invariably asked, "Who wants to know?" by D, one of the owners.

21709. This one doesn't apply to me personally, but makes me realize that I should mention to you that at one point(when I was trying to uncover my options) that I talked to XX(the more administrative owner who was only rarely on site). During that phone conversation, we agreed that we would meet at PS(in part because I had been previously been threatened with assault by D and wanted to avoid encountering him alone) on 3/23/11, at which time I would pay her in full. Furthermore, she agreed that she would mail me copies of the original lease agreements so that I could re-familiarize myself with them before our meeting. She never did, and since we had additionally agreed that I would call her to confirm that I had received the contracts and establish the time of our meeting, I called her at least once to try to inquire about the matters further and reschedule the meeting, leaving a message. She never contacted me(via any method of contact available to her) after that.

21710.(a) I was never served with a "summons and complaint", despite the fact that I executed a Declaration in Opposition to Lien Sale in a timely manner, and despite the fact that they failed to provide me with that form as was required. This also did not afford me an opportunity to pay the full amount due or post a bond following a potentially subsequent judgement against me.

21711. "purchaser in good faith" I understand this to mean that I have no means to compel the buyer by law to return to me any of my possessions. However, it does not seem unlikely that the owners of PS would try to hide who my unit was sold to, or even doctor their books so that no surplus paid by the purchaser would have to be paid to myself or LA county. This is what really stumped me about how I might even have someone other than myself bridge these topics with PS's owners with any effectiveness.

21712. Contract details.(b) "The provisions of this chapter shall not apply, and the lien authorized by this chapter shall not attach, unless the rental agreement requests, and provides space for, the occupant to give the name and address of another person to whom the preliminary lien notice and subsequent notices required to be given under this chapter may be sent.(Notices sent pursuant to Section 21703 or Section 21705.)" It is my firm belief that no space was provided for this in the original contract. The only reason I did not provide this information in the modified contract for my storage unit was because I did not have S's address at hand that day to provide them, but I did so afterwards multiple times in writing, mailing the information to them. Once again, S never got anything from them.

21715. "All rental agreements entered into before the effective date of this chapter, and not extended or renewed after that date...shall remain valid" I wonder what that effective date is, and whether PS compelled/"forced" me to sign the modified contracts simply to raise the rent(which I also objected to).

Well, that's it. I am under the impression that if I want to sue PS, I can do so, but I haven't found any information about how it would be different than say suing one's landlord. If you could simply confirm that it more or less a typical small claims case I think I would be able to take PS to small claims court with some degree of confidence without legal representation, although this is among the least of my concerns. How to find out who the buyer was is my paramount concern, and any method I could employ to accomplish this remains elusive to me. I know you probably regret offering me any help(poor thing). I can't thank you enough. I will try to reward you for your involvement when I can.

(end of email)

Obviously I'm learning a lot, but I still don't know how to act. I suspect I should send another certified letter to the storage unit, but what should I ask? I feel inclined to take them to court, but is a wrongful sale case the same as a small claims case? The value of the property may be to high to sue for in small claims. Should that matter? Now I'm going to review some of the other questions/answers on here and come up with some(much shorter) questions. Thanks again for any help you can provide.

Sincerely,

Jeff
Ancel

Postby chokichi » Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:49 am

Jeff,     I tried to answer a couple of days ago but my IPAD didn't work. California is one of only a few states that have a declaration of Opposition of sale and I've only a limited knowledge of it.    The best thing you can do is to verify what you have stated. with that information the best thing you can do is to ask for clarification from someone in California who Specializes in the Storage lien law Process. Time is important as you stated this process happened a year ago. Most Storage companies think that if a tenant can't pay for their unit they won't hire legal console for clarification.     Make sure you have documentation that will back up what you say or you are wasting time and money what you say happened. These Storage companies document every thing that happens to include phone calls and everything.     I Wish you good luck, believe me you are not the first and I don't think you'll be the last.

In most cases the storage company won't give you any information unless you have some expert help. In most states if the tenants storage unit is sold for more then what is owed the tenant is entitled to the excess amount back.     See what you can find out and proceed I hope you have your information.

Sorry The information is that important and without proof it's more hear Say.
chokichi

Postby Rayce » Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:34 am

Below are 2 posts that should help explain my situation. The first I recently posted on avvo.com, but so far I have gotten no response. The 2nd is actually a letter I wrote about a week ago to a family friend who is a personal injury lawyer. Again, so far I have gotten no response, but this is probably outside her area of expertise. I'll follow this up with a few more questions. Thanks for your help in advance. I apologize for the length of this post.

What's my recourse? I sent a Declaration opposing the sale of my unit, but no court action ensued. How can I find who bought it?

I read Storage Unit Laws and Lien Sales in California by Sarah Rose Wolk, affirming to myself that I had used proper and timely steps to stop the sale of my storage unit by forcing a court action. My unit was nevertheless auctioned off on 4/24/11. I believe the owners of the storage facility failed to adhere to the law on many points. Now it's almost 1 yr later. Recently I dredged up lots of documentary evidence(& very painful emotions) with the idea that I should sue them. The storage unit must pay me the surplus received after 1 yr if they got more for it than the lien amount, right?. The crux of waiting was to find out who the buyer was. I had found no other method that worked. Now it seems plain to me that my only recourse may be to sue. Please see comment to above article for more.

I was never sent a "Preliminary Lien Notice". I was denied access to my storage unit(s) on multiple occasions prior to termination dates. Phrased another way, I was denied access to my storage unit consistently, even though I would come back to enter it prior to the next month's rent being due and/or prior to the end of the 10-day grace period. At least once I called the LA County Sheriff's office and was told I could not file a report or press charges. I know I called them on at least one other occasion because I had been threatened with assault by one of the owners and reported it. The last time I received a Notice of Lien Sale from them I disputed the amount due, but nevertheless arranged to meet with another owner(who had not physically threatened me) to pay the lien amount in full. We set a day, and she agreed that she would mail me copies of both original lease agreements.(In the past I had also stored a car there.) We agreed to leave the time of the meeting open until I had received these documents and called her back; this was also in part because she was only rarely at the office on site, and because I did not want to prompt a potentially violent reaction from the other owner. I never received the contracts, and after that point I never heard back from her, even though I called her back multiple times. I sent a Declaration in Opposition to Lien Sale to the owner via certified mail, meeting the specific requirements. None of this led to a court case, although I was under the impression that this would happen. I was not notified of the auction date, despite my written request for them to do so, also sent via certified mail. My storage unit was auctioned off on 4/24/11. Unaware of this, after the fact I found an internet post announcing the auction which did not contain a description of my unit's contents(and perhaps other details they were obliged to publish). It is unclear to me how to claim any proceeds in excess of the lien amount and costs of the sale. They have on multiple occasions refused to reveal any details concerning the auction or transaction to me. There were also numerous other instances where they did not adhere to the California code in question which I do not mention here because the points are not directly mentioned in the above article. So what do you think? Do I have a case? Do I have to initiate a case in small claims court by 4/24/12? That's this Tuesday! What is the statute of limitations here? Thank you in advance for any feedback.

Email to lawyer friend:

I wrote this as I re-read the applicable code(the same as I sent you a link to). I'm going to start by listing each code in question. I thought I would finish with an overall chronology of events, but that proved to be unnecessary. However, if it helps you to understand certain events in sequence, please ask. My first priority here is still to try to find a way to contact the buyer, but in the process I hope to prepare to sue them(which I hope will also have merit). If I do successfully sue PS(not Public Storage) I would like to compensate you for your time and effort with the money I get from the judgement. Thanks again for any advice you may be able to give me.

21701.(f) "last known address" I mailed a change of address more than once as I moved to different parts of the country. I did this prior to when the last Notice of Lien Sale was sent to me, for example(probably in the few months prior, probably with Delivery Confirmation), so that I reasonably expected them to mail any such documents to Temecula. I also did this sometime in 2009, after I had established an address in Madison, WI. After that lease was up, I mailed them a forwarding address in Detroit. I also did this in the few months following the duplicate/modified LEASE AGREEMENTs. In almost all cases, they failed to absorb the information, as evidenced by a number of documents(including other Notices of Lien Sale), and despite the fact that I had properly provided to them a different "last known address".

21702.5 Liens on vehicles. This section and the subsections that follow are very unclear to me. I refer you to the following web pages:http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/appndxa/civil/civ3071.htmhttp://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=California+Civil+Code+Sectiohttp://www.selfstoragetalk.com/legal-insurance-issues/5312-auction-vehicle-ca.ht

The car was valued under $4000. It had been salvaged in CA. Then I purchased it for between $1-2000 without a current smog certificate(as required by law). Due to this I was never able to register it. I got a number of tickets(mostly for it not being registered) which were all eventually dismissed. I speculate that a lien was placed on it by PS, but I'm not certain of this and I suspect that the owner of the facility(and perhaps even their lawyer) were swimming in some legal confusion, too. PS consistently forced me to pay the car up first before they would allow me to access either "unit". I objected to this. I was told I didn't have a choice. They furthermore denied me access to either unit(even when I was current with rent) unless I agreed to sign the modified contracts I sent to you. I objected to this, too. This was one occasion upon which I called the police(on that day I believe, or shortly thereafter), but they refused to do anything, so I felt obliged to sign it, which gave me access for the day after a big fight(a lock was put back on my main unit by the following week---D made threats to me then and on other occasions, some of them violent). In that contract it attaches the 2 units, requiring that I am paid up on both or they would not allow me access to either. I don't believe that this was in the original contracts. Before and after this, they also consistently denied me access to both units, even when I was current in rent. Even after I had removed the vehicle from their property they denied me access to the other unit though I was paid up, informing me that I needed to pay the next month's rent(not due yet) first. In the past they had only rarely acknowledged that being current should allow me access until the next month's rent was due. Also, this portion of the code seems to say that they cannot continue to charge rent on a vehicle after "the stored property is subject to a lien".

21703. "alternative address specified" I consistently provided an alternative address to PS(S's). I mailed it to PS on multiple occasions. She says she never got a Notice of Lien Sale, or anything from PS.

21703.(b) The notice states that my rights to use or access my unit had already been terminated. There is no statement in the form of "will terminate on a specified date(not less than 14 days after the mailing of the notice)".

21703.(c) It is unclear to me what the legal definition of "termination date" is, whether they should not have blacked out the date on the Notice of Lien Sale dated 2/9/11, whether they should have at least initialed the change of date, or whether "subject to a lien" means that a lien was imposed before or after the termination date that they may have included.

21705. This section seems redundant to me, and I am unclear whether it is implicit in the code that the owner "may not" perform the actions the code says he/she "may" do at this point in time("the termination date"?), such as 21705.(a)(1): "Deny an occupant access to the space."

21705.(c)(1)(C) The Notice of Lien Sale did not state as required "That the property will be sold...unless...the occupant executes and returns by certified mail a declaration under penalty of perjury in opposition to the lien sale in the form set forth inparagraph(2). As you are aware, I did do this. Worth noting that I mailed PS a copy of this as well along with the letter in late February. Somehow I had already calculated that the deadline to send the Opposition to Lien Sale declaration to the Recorder was 3/9/11, thus it is dated that way.

21705.(c)(1)(D) "That any excess proceeds of the sale over the lien amount and costs of sale will be retained by the owner and may be reclaimed by the occupant or claimed by another person at any time for a period of one year from the sale and that thereafter the proceeds will escheat to the county." I have called PS on multiple occasions after the unit had been sold on 4/24/11 to find out what it sold for and who it was sold to. I have never gotten a response from them. This is perhaps the most hurtful to me, as I feel that they have intentionally avoided any sort of communications with me for at least 13 months. I have not attempted to contact them recently though. This sounds like I should call and mail another certified letter in the near future, right? If you only helped me with this one facet of this whole mess, then this is the one I would choose.

21705.(c)(2) PS did not send either within the Notice of Lien Sale(or separately) "A blank declaration in opposition to the lien sale that shall be in substantially the following form:"(I simply copied the form from the website. Its content was identical, I believe. Please see code to illustrate.)

21706. "the date of sale set forth in the notice of lien sale" No date of sale was set in the Notice of Lien Sale. If it had been, it would have afforded me the opportunity to stop the sale of course. After the fact I found a post on some website, which was shortly thereafter removed. The ad did not 21707(a) "include a general description of the goods, the name of the person on whose account they are being stored,(or?) the space number of the occupant". It is unclear to me whether PS had an obligation to run an ad in an actual newspaper, or whether they actually did. On multiple occasions, I called(and once S called, plus once I had someone else call) to inquire about such an auction. When I called I was invariably asked, "Who wants to know?" by D, one of the owners.

21709. This one doesn't apply to me personally, but makes me realize that I should mention to you that at one point(when I was trying to uncover my options) that I talked to XX(the more administrative owner who was only rarely on site). During that phone conversation, we agreed that we would meet at PS(in part because I had been previously been threatened with assault by D and wanted to avoid encountering him alone) on 3/23/11, at which time I would pay her in full. Furthermore, she agreed that she would mail me copies of the original lease agreements so that I could re-familiarize myself with them before our meeting. She never did, and since we had additionally agreed that I would call her to confirm that I had received the contracts and establish the time of our meeting, I called her at least once to try to inquire about the matters further and reschedule the meeting, leaving a message. She never contacted me(via any method of contact available to her) after that.

21710.(a) I was never served with a "summons and complaint", despite the fact that I executed a Declaration in Opposition to Lien Sale in a timely manner, and despite the fact that they failed to provide me with that form as was required. This also did not afford me an opportunity to pay the full amount due or post a bond following a potentially subsequent judgement against me.

21711. "purchaser in good faith" I understand this to mean that I have no means to compel the buyer by law to return to me any of my possessions. However, it does not seem unlikely that the owners of PS would try to hide who my unit was sold to, or even doctor their books so that no surplus paid by the purchaser would have to be paid to myself or LA county. This is what really stumped me about how I might even have someone other than myself bridge these topics with PS's owners with any effectiveness.

21712. Contract details.(b) "The provisions of this chapter shall not apply, and the lien authorized by this chapter shall not attach, unless the rental agreement requests, and provides space for, the occupant to give the name and address of another person to whom the preliminary lien notice and subsequent notices required to be given under this chapter may be sent.(Notices sent pursuant to Section 21703 or Section 21705.)" It is my firm belief that no space was provided for this in the original contract. The only reason I did not provide this information in the modified contract for my storage unit was because I did not have S's address at hand that day to provide them, but I did so afterwards multiple times in writing, mailing the information to them. Once again, S never got anything from them.

21715. "All rental agreements entered into before the effective date of this chapter, and not extended or renewed after that date...shall remain valid" I wonder what that effective date is, and whether PS compelled/"forced" me to sign the modified contracts simply to raise the rent(which I also objected to).

Well, that's it. I am under the impression that if I want to sue PS, I can do so, but I haven't found any information about how it would be different than say suing one's landlord. If you could simply confirm that it more or less a typical small claims case I think I would be able to take PS to small claims court with some degree of confidence without legal representation, although this is among the least of my concerns. How to find out who the buyer was is my paramount concern, and any method I could employ to accomplish this remains elusive to me. I know you probably regret offering me any help(poor thing). I can't thank you enough. I will try to reward you for your involvement when I can.

(end of email)

Obviously I'm learning a lot, but I still don't know how to act. I suspect I should send another certified letter to the storage unit, but what should I ask? I feel inclined to take them to court, but is a wrongful sale case the same as a small claims case? The value of the property may be to high to sue for in small claims. Should that matter? Now I'm going to review some of the other questions/answers on here and come up with some(much shorter) questions. Thanks again for any help you can provide.

Sincerely,

Jeff
Rayce

Return to Rental Law