Welcome to Law-Forums.org!   

Advertisments:

Sponsor Links:

Discount Legal Forms
Discounted Legal Texts

I'm Sorry To Bother You But I Need These Answers For A School Project.

Criminal Law Discussion Forum

Postby Antonino » Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:15 am

1.)What is the most used technique to solve homicide cases?       2.)What is your estimated percentage of unsolved homicidal cases?  

3.)How has the techniques for solving cases changed over the time you have worked in law enforcement?                               4.)How does an autopsy help solve a homicidal case?               5.)How long has a compound microscope helped solve a homicidal case?                                                             6.)How does insects help you predict how long ago a person died? 7.)What type of criminal profile is most found in homicide cases? 8.)Say that a Jane Doe was just shot down somewhere random.WHat would forensics do to find out who she is and who killed her?

9.)How much evidence do you need to solve one case? What types of evidence do you need?

10.)If a person was shot how does forensics trace the bullet back to the specific gun that shot it?

11.)Are polygraphs a useful test for solving actual cases?

12.)IS a composite a good way to solve a case?

13.)How is ultra violet and inferred light help in solving a case?

14.)IF you find DNA but it does not match anyone in the case so far, what do you do?

15.)Does computer forensics help if everything has been deleted off of a computer? Is there anyway to reload the information? Thank you so much if you can answer these questions so please e-mail me back the answers as soon as possible, thank you.           Geordan Tolley
Antonino

Postby Jonas » Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:29 am

1.)What is the most used technique to solve homicide cases?       2.)What is your estimated percentage of unsolved homicidal cases?  

3.)How has the techniques for solving cases changed over the time you have worked in law enforcement?                               4.)How does an autopsy help solve a homicidal case?               5.)How long has a compound microscope helped solve a homicidal case?                                                             6.)How does insects help you predict how long ago a person died? 7.)What type of criminal profile is most found in homicide cases? 8.)Say that a Jane Doe was just shot down somewhere random.WHat would forensics do to find out who she is and who killed her?

9.)How much evidence do you need to solve one case? What types of evidence do you need?

10.)If a person was shot how does forensics trace the bullet back to the specific gun that shot it?

11.)Are polygraphs a useful test for solving actual cases?

12.)IS a composite a good way to solve a case?

13.)How is ultra violet and inferred light help in solving a case?

14.)IF you find DNA but it does not match anyone in the case so far, what do you do?

15.)Does computer forensics help if everything has been deleted off of a computer? Is there anyway to reload the information? Thank you so much if you can answer these questions so please e-mail me back the answers as soon as possible, thank you.           Geordan Tolley
Jonas

Postby Kevron » Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:18 am

Geordan,

Not a problem, don't mind helping.  Just out of curiosity am i going to be listed in your footnotes ??

1) the most used technique ?  Not sure what you mean by technique.  The most common evidence is probably a confession

2) Percentage of unsolved homicides ?  This will be a guess as the reporting is varies greatly around the country.  Some where in the neighborhood of 20-30 percent are unsolved.

3) Techniques over time ?  The biggest change has been in the form of DNA evidence.  The forensics used in cases has gotten better and more complicated.

4) How does an autopsy help ?  First a autopsy is necessary to determine if it even is a homicide.  Other manners of death have to be ruled out.  Autopsy will also provide an estimate of time of death, may also help identify the method or tool used.  Autopsy may also provide trace evidence left by the suspect.

5) Compound microscope used ? probably since the early to mid 1800's.  That is about the time forensics began showing up in criminal investigations.

6) Insects / entomology helps in determining how long a person has been dead due to the fact that the life span of certain insects(blow flies) have a known and consistent time span.  An entomologist by examining the phases of insects on a body can approximate the length of time the body has been exposed.  The longer the body has been exposed the more difficult it is.

7) most common criminal profile ?  Depends on what you mean by a profile. Normally the suspect is a male between 20-40 years of age.  Under educated with  a prior criminal history.

8) Jane Doe,  identification is done by fingerprints, dental, DNA, reconstruction.  Identification of who killed her.  Ballistics would be the most likely based on your scenario.

9) How much and what kind ?  This question can't be answered.  Evidence is valued based on the type of crime, how it was collected, how definitively it connects with the victim or the suspect.  The the evidence is evaluated by a court or a jury.  I have seen convictions with hardly any evidence and seen acquittals with what was believed to slam dunk.

10) Ballistics is a comparison between striations and marks imprinted on the bullet, and casing that are individual to that weapon.

11)  Polygraphs are very useful.  They will help focus an investigation and help eliminate false avenues of investigation.  Most subjects are cleared by polygraphs.  They are however not 100%

12) Composite.  If you are referring to a composite drawing of a suspect they are helpful in telling you who it isn't.

13) Ultra violet or variable light sources are extremely helpful in locating trace evidence that normally would not be visible. If you can't locate it you can't collect it.

14) DNA.  first you retain the unknown DNA and it is placed in a computer file for comparison with future known samples.  Next you attempt to acquire DNA of other potential suspects.  There has been recent cases where DNA profiles have been used to make a "family" connection and then the investigators can look for others in the same family or DNA line to obtain additional known samples.

15) Computer forensics.  Depending on how the information was "removed" from the computer it can be reacquired.  Computers also leave "digital fingerprints" as it connects with other computers and networks.

if you need clarification let me know, good luck

robin
Kevron

Return to Criminal Law