Sponsor Links:

Discount Legal Forms
Discounted Legal Texts

Howe Scale #5

Patents & Trademarks Discussion Forum

Howe Scale #5

Postby Sanders » Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:25 am

Bill and Jan Berning

Thank you for taking my question. I am a Weights and Measures Official with the State of Nevada in the Reno area. In performing my job I get to conduct annual inspections on some great scales of the past. The one scale that I have a interest in is the freight scale currently in use by the Reno Amtrak Station. The scale is a Howe Scale #5. The Patent date is 1868 and 1870. The scale deck is metal, with a wooden post and brass beam. On tje post is stamped SP(Southern Pacific). The scale is in great shape and never failed a calibration test.

This scale predates all of the NIST records. What is the approximate date of manufacture? Thank you for your time.

Sincerely

Robert L. Green
Sanders

Howe Scale #5

Postby Rollan » Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:32 pm

Bill and Jan Berning

Thank you for taking my question. I am a Weights and Measures Official with the State of Nevada in the Reno area. In performing my job I get to conduct annual inspections on some great scales of the past. The one scale that I have a interest in is the freight scale currently in use by the Reno Amtrak Station. The scale is a Howe Scale #5. The Patent date is 1868 and 1870. The scale deck is metal, with a wooden post and brass beam. On tje post is stamped SP(Southern Pacific). The scale is in great shape and never failed a calibration test.

This scale predates all of the NIST records. What is the approximate date of manufacture? Thank you for your time.

Sincerely

Robert L. Green
Rollan

Howe Scale #5

Postby Inaki » Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:08 am

Hi Robert,

Patent number 76523 was issued on April 7, 1868 to William Reynolds of Brandon, VT and assigned to Howe Scale Co. in Brandon. It was for an Improvement in Platform Scales. We could not locate a patent for a Howe assigned scale patent in 1870. You can view the patent by inserting its number in the search box here: http://www.google.com/patents?hl=en .

We can determine that the scale was manufactured prior to May of 1896 as the Howe Scales catalog for that year lists the old number 5 as well as the new numbers 36 having no wheels, 22 having wheels, and 521 having a pillar guard for weighing grain or flour in sacks.  A number 5 scale had a capacity of 2000 pounds by 1/2 pound and the platform measured 23" by 32".  Prices in 1896 were number 36 with no wheels sold for $70, 22 with wheels for $75 and 521 with the pillar guard for $79.  

The first scale patent issued to a Howe was in 1862 and by 1877 the company had moved to Rutland, VT from their original plant in Brandon, VT, in order to take advantage of the railway in Rutland.  If the scale lists a Brandon, VT location, then it would predate the company's move in 1877. Brandon marked Howe scales are quite uncommon.  If it is marked Rutland then it can be dated between 1877 and May of 1896.

Hope this helps.

Weigh Daily!!!

Bill & Jan Berning
Inaki

Return to Patents & Trademarks