Not logged in? Join one of the bigest Law Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: Tips for Achieving an Amicable Divorce

Advertisments:

Sponsor Links:

Discount Legal Forms
Discounted Legal Texts

How to write a recommendation for citizenship for my brother in law?

Family Law Discussion Forum

Postby hewlett » Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:31 am

He is a hard working family man, and is the best father to my niece's, he really deserves to become a U.S. citizen & I'm trying to help make that happen.
hewlett

Postby pete » Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:33 am

I am 55 years old, but have never heard of a letter of recommendation for citizenship purposes.

If your brother in law has been a Green Card holder for at least 5 years, has never been in trouble with the law, has never failed to file his income tax return, speaks and understands proper English and can pass the 100-question civic test, then he can become a US citizen.

If he lacks any of the above, he cannot, no matter how many letters he can show.
pete

Postby jabin20 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:36 am

If your BIL has held a green card for at least 5 years and applied for citizenship, there is no need to write any "letter of recommendation" and you are wasting your time. It will not be considered.

If BIL is not a legal immigrant holding a valid green card, there's nothing you can do for him. Only a US citizen parent, sibling, spouse or adult child over 21 who earns enough to support him can petition for his immigration. If his immigration visa is approved, then he can enter the US and subsequently apply for a green card. Depending on his ciitzenship and relationship to his sponsor, it can take up to 23-24 years to obtain an immmigration visa and enter the US.

If BIL is an illegal alien, he has NO choice but to return to his country of citizenship. There is no way to legalize an illegal alien, not marriage, not procreation. If you attempt to do anything to "help" an illegal alien remain in the US in violation of law, you are subject to 10 years in prison plus $250,000 fine.

So what's really going on here? His child has a right to citizenship in its father's country of citizenship, so he can be a better father, a law-abiding role model for his child, in his own country & take his kid with him.
jabin20

Postby chason62 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:52 am

If your BIL has held a green card for at least 5 years and applied for citizenship, there is no need to write any "letter of recommendation" and you are wasting your time. It will not be considered.

If BIL is not a legal immigrant holding a valid green card, there's nothing you can do for him. Only a US citizen parent, sibling, spouse or adult child over 21 who earns enough to support him can petition for his immigration. If his immigration visa is approved, then he can enter the US and subsequently apply for a green card. Depending on his ciitzenship and relationship to his sponsor, it can take up to 23-24 years to obtain an immmigration visa and enter the US.

If BIL is an illegal alien, he has NO choice but to return to his country of citizenship. There is no way to legalize an illegal alien, not marriage, not procreation. If you attempt to do anything to "help" an illegal alien remain in the US in violation of law, you are subject to 10 years in prison plus $250,000 fine.

So what's really going on here? His child has a right to citizenship in its father's country of citizenship, so he can be a better father, a law-abiding role model for his child, in his own country & take his kid with him.
You cannot sponsor your brother in law for a greencard. His spouse can if the spouse is an US citizen.
A letter of yours recommending him for citizenship is a waste of time. If you want to help them, pay for an immigration lawyer for him, for I imagine there are some legal problems involved why you feel impelled to write a letter.
chason62

Postby thom » Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:55 am

no matter how nice he is ..has nothing to with it
he has to meet the criteria ..forget any recommendation letter it will not be read

Has he held a green card for 3 or 5 years
http://www.dhs.gov/files/programs/immigration-us-citizen.shtm
thom

Postby vanaken25 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:57 am

I believe only a sibling or parent/guardian is allowed to recommend your brother for citizenship only if any of them are US citizens.
vanaken25

Return to Family Law