Discount Legal Forms
Discounted Legal Texts

How To Clear Salvage Title Vehicle In California

Been involved in a traffic accident? Discuss traffic laws here

Postby Fearcher » Sat Nov 26, 2016 4:31 am

-------------------------

Followup To

- If you buy a salvage title vehicle in California, is it possible to have the title cleared by the dmv. I've read that some other states issue clean titles on vehicles after going through inspection. The vehicle that I'm thinking of buying I was told was stolen and the seller bought at an auction. The seller told me that the vehicle was written off by the insurance company and given a salvage title because it took more than 30 days to find it.
Fearcher

Postby Adamec » Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:25 am

- Peria, thanks for asking.  In california, once a vehicle is given a salvage title, there is no way you can remove the salvage title designation.  A salvage title means that the vehicle at one time was declared damaged beyond what would be reasonable to repair the damager incurred.  Once a salvage title is issued against a California title, there is absolutely no way to remove this designation. A salvage title is only issued when the value to repair a vehicle far exceeds the amount available to reasonably repair the vehicle for the damage incurred.  Salvage titles are only issued when the value of the vehicle is severely  under the fair market of the vehicle when the vehicle was available for resale in the market.  StaY AWAY FROM ANY VEHICLE WITH A SALVAGE TITLE UNLESS YOU ARE AN EXPERT IN SALVAGE VEHICLES!  Everyone that I know that has bought a vehicle with a salvage title has been taken to the cleaners in the market because they did not know what the applicable laws are involving salvage vehicles.  Anyone that buys a vehiecle with a salvage title deserves to be ripped off unless they are an expert in dealing with the laws involved in selling and purchsing a vehicle with a salvage title.  In shosrt, when you purchase a car with a salvage title, you are buying a piece of junk from someone you do not know, at a location you do not know, in a condition you do not know, with no guarantee, and no proof of identity of the seller, and based solely on the word of the seller.  So youi are buying a acar, as is, where is , as stated, with no warranty, and with the understanding, not supoorted by law that the vehicle has been repaired completely, that the safety features have been fixed and that the air bags work, that the side air bags work, and that the work have been verified by some state agency.  None of these are true.  You moight as well buy a car from a known liar, in a state that has no recourse against the seller lying, and no ability to sue the seller in any court.  I would rather purchase a totally wrecked vehicle from my known enemy than buy a car from someone that says that the vehicle has been completely fixed..Lies are just that, lies.  The expression "Caveat Emptor" means everything..."Let the buyer beware!"  Ignorance is no excuse and lying is no grounds for a lawsuit, plus the safety of you and your family are not worth taking the word of a known liar that they completely and totally repaired the vehicle to all known safety standards.  That just does not happen.  Buy a car from someone you know, someone you can trust, and someone that is a licensed dealer, not some lying jerk that is just trying to make a quick buck taking advantage of you by lying about fixing all of the safety items available to save your life, like the air bags, the side air bags, the safety items, etc.  I am not willing to take the word of anyone trying to make a buck on selling me a salvage vehicle.  It has already been totalled once, I don't need to expend the lives of my loved ones and myself on some liar's word hat just wants to make a buck.  Let me know the outcome.  Chuck at [email protected]

Thank you, I'm not going to buy a vehicle with a salvage title.
Adamec

Postby Curney » Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:28 am

Peria,

I just want to make one more thing clear.  Insurance companies do not file with DMV to obtain salvage certificates just because the car was stolen and not recovered before they paid it off.  Most vehicles are recovered intact, so they would be cutting off their nose to spite their face to get a salvage title.  Cars with salvage titles have no blue book...They are only worth what some liar can sell it to someone for.  I have been involved in auto theft investigation for over 40 years and have been classified as an expert in many, many, Superior Courts in California regarding vehicle theft and investigation, insurance policies, insurance codes, and all laws that apply to auto theft investigation and all of the laws involved.  Thanks for letting me know that you decided not to purchase a salvage vehicle! I am very proud of you for using good judgement.  The car might be cheap, but what is your life worth to you, or what is your child's life worth?  Who ever told you that about insurance companies did not know what they were talking about with salvage titles.  And, no..there is NO WAY to remove a SALVAGE title once it has been issued!  Who could possibly check all of the millions of wires, circuits, air bags, air bag triggering sensors, electronic control modules, hidden wiring, or verify that all of the repairs had been done to original manufacturer standards and NHTSA standards.  That stands for the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.  They are the ones that set all safety standards for automobile safety.  People that try to sell you cars with a salvage title are just trying to make the most money they can, and they do not care if you get hurt or killed in a car that they have supposedly repaired.  Remember, these cars are sold as is, where is, how is, with no warranty, implied or stated, and because you purchase a salvage vehicle, you are the one responsible to know what you are doing.  I wish they would pass a law that salvage vehicles could not be sold to anyone other than a junk yard.
Curney

Postby Donato » Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:14 pm

-------------------------

Followup To

- If you buy a salvage title vehicle in California, is it possible to have the title cleared by the dmv. I've read that some other states issue clean titles on vehicles after going through inspection. The vehicle that I'm thinking of buying I was told was stolen and the seller bought at an auction. The seller told me that the vehicle was written off by the insurance company and given a salvage title because it took more than 30 days to find it.
Donato

Return to Traffic Law