Not logged in? Join one of the bigest Law Forums on the Internet! Join Now!  

Advertisments:

Sponsor Links:

Discount Legal Forms
Discounted Legal Texts

How much is a speeding ticket in VA? (2012)?

Been involved in a traffic accident? Discuss traffic laws here

Postby ear » Wed May 02, 2012 11:36 am

I recently got my first speeding ticket doing 79 on a 60 highway (close call) I was wondering about how much is the fine. Also, the officer checked off "You may avoid coming to court only if this block is checked and all instructions on defendant's copy are followed" Does that mean I don't have to go to court and I just need to pay the fine? Please help!
ear

Postby darrell » Wed May 02, 2012 11:38 am

You are probably going to have a hefty amount to pay, since there will not only be a fine, but there will be court costs.

It typically starts at $6 per mile over the posted limit, then court costs are added. That is probably going to be another $60 or so. And if you are cited for reckless driving on the ticket, that will add a huge amount more.

In an effort to raise money for road projects, the state will start hitting residents who commit serious traffic offenses with huge civil penalties.

The new civil charges will range from $750 to $3,000 and be added to existing fines and court costs.

I am not a lawyer, but the wording suggests if you pay the fine and costs, it ends provided that box is checked. Otherwise, you have to appear.

You may have to inquire as to how much is to be paid. See link.
darrell

Postby crom » Wed May 02, 2012 11:40 am

Hope your credit is good; your are going to need to take out a loan.

Hope it works out for you. It didn't for this family:

http://news.yahoo.com/officials-probe-bronx-suv-accident-killed-7-064634087.html

"Obviously, the vehicle was traveling at a high rate of speed," Werner said. "It hit something that caused it to become airborne."
crom

Return to Traffic Law