Not logged in? Join one of the bigest Law Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: Research Law Professors Before Choosing Law Schools

Advertisments:

Sponsor Links:

Discount Legal Forms
Discounted Legal Texts

How long does it take- small claims court?

Defamation Law Discussion Forum

Postby dubh35 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:32 am

Someone threatened to take me to small claims court about 3 weeks ago and I haven't recieved anything in the mail. How long does it take after someone tries to sue you? and if they do not have my current address then how will I ever know? thanks
dubh35

Postby symington » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:32 am

Someone threatened to take me to small claims court about 3 weeks ago and I haven't recieved anything in the mail. How long does it take after someone tries to sue you? and if they do not have my current address then how will I ever know? thanks
symington

Postby geol19 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:34 am

How long it takes before you are served with the lawsuit depends. It can be several months.

The law suit can not be heard in court until you (the defendant) have been served with the lawsuit. If they can't find you they can't serve you so the suit will not go to trial until you are found.
You have to be served in person.
geol19

Return to Defamation Law