Advertisments:

Sponsor Links:

Discount Legal Forms
Discounted Legal Texts

How do I patent song lyrics?

Patents & Trademarks Discussion Forum

Postby teithi71 » Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:06 am

Song lyrics cannot be patented. They can be copyrighted. You don't need to register the copyright to get protection. You just have to write the song. If you feel the need to register the copyright (and pay the fee), seee my source.
teithi71

Postby teyo » Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:14 am

You can copyright song lyrics at the copyright office.

Although legally you obtain copyright simply by creating the song, if you do not register it with the copyright office, it is very difficult to take any legal action later if the copyright is violated.
teyo

Postby dallen47 » Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:30 am

Cheap method is write them down, then mail them certified to yourself with signature requested. Costs about 6 bucks for as much as you can stuff on there for up to 1oz in weight. Any post office can do that. And absolutely do not open it unless you have to go to court.

But all that does is give you what is called "prior art". That means if someone else uses them, you can sue them for it. Remember the song Bittersweet Symphony by The Verve? It was actually written by Keith Richards and Mick Jagger of the Rolling Stones. The Verve lost 100% of the single sales and 50% of the album sales because Richards/Jagger proved prior art.

Now if you want to formally earn copyright, just go to copyright.gov. Costs 20 or 30 bucks per piece.

If you have any issues or find someone using your lyrics, call an intellectual property lawyer.
dallen47

Postby eoforwic » Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:35 am

It is true that you have a degree of protection the moment you create the song. However, without a certificate of copyright, you cannot take full legal action.

Let me explain. Say someone stole your song and released it on an album. Without a certificate of copyright, the best you can do is have them stop using your songs and stop the distribution of albums.

Now, let's say you have a certificate of copyright. You can take full legal action against them. You can sue them for up to $100,000 for using your music without your permission. You take also sue them for the money they made from the albums sold and have the remaining albums destroyed.

It only costs $45 to copyright an album. You do not need to copyright each song individually. You can put as many songs as you want on an album and copyright it as a whole. You can copyright one song or your can copyright 30 songs.... Either way, if it's on one Cd, it only costs $45.
eoforwic

Return to Patents & Trademarks