Not logged in? Join one of the bigest Law Forums on the Internet! Join Now!  

Advertisments:

Sponsor Links:

Discount Legal Forms
Discounted Legal Texts

How do i get my sister in law to move out?

Family Law Discussion Forum

Postby dalon » Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:01 am

My sister in law fell on some hard times and we agreed to let her move in to our one bedroom condo temporarily. We already have a full house as we have a baby too. My sister in law shortly after she moved in quit her job and decided to go back to college so now I am paying for not only my family but my sister in law too. This has put a terrible strain on my marriage. Every time I try to talk to my wife about it she gets very defensive and it ends up being a fight. My sister in law treats me like I'm the third wheel so to speak. She acts as if she is entitled to whatever I make at my job. And she even has stepped in and assumed the role of my child's father. I need her to leave now or I might have to do something drastic and leave. I love my wife very much but how do I show her that we are being taken advantage of. The sister in law is even talking about moving with us if we move to another town. I don't know what to do. Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated
dalon

Postby honi » Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:03 am

You're not wrong to be fed up with this, especially if your sister-in-law is taking advantage like it sounds like. You need to really have a serious conversation with your wife and let her know how you feel. I can understand that she feels like she needs to take care of her sister if she's going through hard times, but you are only enabling the sister in law if you're not holding her accountable for some of her actions and making her responsible too. She can go to school and still work part time to make a contribution to the household. If your wife can't see this for herself--and especially if you can't sit down and have a serious conversation about it with her, without her getting offensive and starting a big fight, then I would say you have every right to give her an ultimatum. Let her know that you are serious and that you want to help her sister, but you're not going to be taken advantage of. Tell her that there need to be ground rules and that she needs to not step over her boundaries and contribute to the household as well.

I hope it works out--Good Luck!
honi

Postby newyddilyn60 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:07 am

spit on her
newyddilyn60

Postby yago » Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:16 am

Your wife now has an advocate that is faithful to her and she likes that. Let your wife and sister-in-law know that if the situation doesn't change, you're outta there and make sure they know you're serious.
yago

Return to Family Law