Not logged in? Join one of the bigest Law Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: Research Law Professors Before Choosing Law Schools

Advertisments:

Sponsor Links:

Discount Legal Forms
Discounted Legal Texts

How can I put a password on my laptop folders so nobody can open them ?

Discuss anything to do with property law - buying, selling property

Postby therron57 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:52 pm

I searched this quesiton and I followed these steps......

1.Open up Windows Explorer and navigate to the folder that you wish to protect.
2. Right-click on it and choose "Properties."
3. Click on the "Advanced" button.
4. Under "Compress or Encrypt Attributes," check the box "Encrypt Contents to Secure Data." If you do not log on to your computer with a password, you will now be prompted for one.
5. Click "OK" twice and you will now be able to log off and log back in. You will be prompted for a password when trying to access the folder.

....But the part that says "Encrypt Contents to Secure Data." isn't highlighted for me to select so its not really protected. How can I fix that?
therron57

Postby gowan » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:14 pm

try folderlock.. its a great software
gowan

Postby drystan » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:18 pm

Move all your files in to an directory.Open cmd and go to the path where your folder is present,if your folder path is d:/folder/ratna then type
d:
now you are in d drive.if you want to go to a folder then type
cd foldername
,type
attrib +s +h ratna
ratna is a directory or a folder,replace this by your folder name and to access your files open cmd and go to path where you have previously hided the folder and type this in cmd
attrib -s -h ratna
drystan

Postby madison86 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:24 pm

I just found an answer from www.ehow.com, you can have a try with it.

1. Click the Windows "Start" button and select "Computer." Double-click the drive letter where your folder is located, which is typically the "C" drive. Double-click each directory until you open the directory that contains the folder you want to password-protect.

2. Right-click the folder you want to password-protect and select "Properties" from the pop-up menu. Click the "General" tab to view the file's information; click the "Advanced" button to view other options, including encryption.

3.Click the option labeled "Encrypt contents to secure data." Click "OK" to encrypt and password-protect the folder. The password applied to the folder is the password used to access your Windows account. Users must type your username and password before accessing the encrypted folder.

4. Double-click the file after you encrypt it to ensure that you can open it. To check the security, log out of Windows and log in with a different username. Note that when you double-click the file, a window opens asking for the username and password to access the folder.

Read more: How to Add a Password to a Folder in Windows 7 | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_8173878_add-password-folder-windows-7.html#ixzz1wyeiBNjN
madison86

Postby muireach » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:25 pm

You can try a Free password protect folder application. It is 100% free.
http://www.mitracker.com/file-secure-free.html
muireach

Return to Property Law