Not logged in? Join one of the bigest Law Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: Tips for Achieving an Amicable Divorce

Advertisments:

Sponsor Links:

Discount Legal Forms
Discounted Legal Texts

How can I get a speeding ticket dropped without losing my license?

Been involved in a traffic accident? Discuss traffic laws here

Postby collyer » Mon Dec 19, 2011 4:46 am

i am 18 years old live in the state of NC and this is my third ticket...
-my first ticket 2 years ago was for driving past curfew and i didnt stop at a stop-sign. (i payed for ticket and it went on insurance)
-second ticket i got for going in and out of traffic / changing lanes without turn signals.. (i got reduced to improper equipment and payed max penalty of $191.. then i took Alive@25 for people who get tickets to reduce charge so it didnt go on isurance)
This third and most recent ticket i got pulled for doing 85 in a 65.. whats my best options for getting around this without losing my license???
collyer

Postby sampson » Mon Dec 19, 2011 4:54 am

Your quotes after such incidents can rise a lot. May be it would be cheaper for you to apply for some of special plans for high risk drivers - http://autoinsurance.noneto.com
sampson

Postby emilek17 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 4:58 am

Three tickets in less than 3 years of driving? What a lousy driving record! If you think the judge might have any mercy on you ... wishful thinking!

Prepare yourself for the maximum penalty allowed by law. If they DO pull your license ... your chances of being a 19 year old improve dramatically!
emilek17

Postby felabeorbt » Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:01 am

Request a hearing. Pray the officer doesn't show up and it will get tossed. Otherwise, try to talk to the cop right before you go in front of the judge and ask him to drop it because your applying for a law enforcement position and this will negatively affect you getting a job.
felabeorbt

Postby norwyn » Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:06 am

Talk to the judge.
norwyn

Postby gabrielo19 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:11 am

Question: How did you "box in" the judge?

This is easy to do if you don't know too much. I didn't know too much, but I boxed them in. You must play a little ignorant.

If you are arrested and you go to court, just remember that in a criminal action, you have to understand the law or it is a reversible error for the court to try you. If you don't understand the law, they can't try you.

In any traffic court case or tax case you are called into court and the judge reads the law and then asks, "Do you understand the charges?"

Defendant: No, Your Honor, I do not.

Judge:

Well, what's so difficult about that charge? Either you drove the wrong way on a one-way street or you didn't. You can only go one way on that street, and if you go the other way, it's a fifty dollar fine. What's so difficult about this that you don't understand?"

D: Well, Your Honor, it's not the letter of the law, but rather the nature of the law that I don't understand. The Sixth Amendment of the Constitution gives me the right to request the court to explain the nature of any action against me, and upon my request, the court has the duty to answer. I have a question about the nature of this action.

J: Well, what is that - what do you want to know?

Always! Ask them some easy questions first, as this establishes that they are answering. You ask:

D: Well, Your Honor, is this a Civil or Criminal Action?"

J: It is criminal. (If it were a civil action there could be no fine, so it has to be criminal).

D: Thank you, Your Honor, for telling me that. Then the record will show that this action against ___(Straw Man Name)___ is a criminal action, is that right?

J: Yes.

D: I would like to ask another question about this criminal action. There are two criminal jurisdictions mentioned in the Constitution; one is under the Common Law , and the other deals with International Maritime Contracts , under an Admiralty Jurisdiction . Equity is Civil, and you said this is a Criminal action, so it seems it would have to be under either the Common Law, or Maritime Law. But what puzzles me, Your Honor, is, there is no Corpus Delicti here that gives this court a jurisdiction over my person and property under the Common Law. Therefore, it doesn't appear to me that this court is moving under the Common Law.

J: No, I can assure you this court is not moving under the Common Law.

D: Well, thank you, your Honor, but now you make the charge against me even more difficult to understand, the only other criminal jurisdiction would apply only if there was an International Maritime Contract involved and I was a party to it, it had been Breached, and the court was operating in an Admiralty Jurisdiction.

I don't believe I have ever been under any International Maritime Contract, so I would deny that one exists. I would have to demand that such a contract, if it does exist, be placed into evidence, so that I may contest it, but surely, this court is not operating under an Admiralty Jurisdiction.

You just put words in the judge's mouth.

J: No, I can assure you, we're not operating under an Admiralty Jurisdiction. We're not out in the ocean somewhere - we're right here in the middle of the State of North Carolina, No, this is not an Admiralty Jurisdiction.

D: Thank you, Your Honor, but now I am more puzzled than ever. If this/these charge/s is/are not under the Common Law, or under Admiralty - and those are the only criminal jurisdictions mentioned in the Constitution - what kind of jurisdiction could this court be operating under?

J: It's Statutory Jurisdiction.

D: Oh, thank you, Your Honor. I'm glad you told me that. But I have never heard of that jurisdiction. So, if I have to defend under that, I would need to have the Rules of Criminal Procedure for Statutory Jurisdiction. Can you provide me with the location of a copy?
THE END !!!!!
gabrielo19

Postby hackett » Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:19 am

Invent a time machine. Go back in time. Go all the way back to the start of Driver's Ed class. That's far enough. Now pay attention this time through.

Stop means stop, not roll slowly. And no, stop signs with white trims are NOT optional after dark.
Speed "limit" is the "limit", not a rough estimate of what might be a good speed.

If you can't pull that off, be prepared to either pay a hundreds or more in fines and possibly lose your license for a while. Hopefully this event will make you pay attention while you're driving in the future.
hackett

Return to Traffic Law