Advertisments:

Sponsor Links:

Discount Legal Forms
Discounted Legal Texts

Hit A Parked Car - New York

Having a dispute with a tenant or landlord? Rental Law discussion

Postby Jennis » Sun Dec 14, 2014 4:04 pm

While backing out of my driveway, I hit a neighbors car door which was parked directly in front of my driveway but on the opposite side of street.  I left a note with my name and number and was recently in contact with the neighbor.  We agreed that we wouldn't involve the insurance company and she would get an estimate which amounted to $700.  She also stated that she would need other means to get around and said she would need a rental car for apprx 3 days.  I got car rental quotes for 3 days and figured out the average amount it would cost.  I am prepared to give her a check for the accident but was curious about what I should put on the agreement letter so I can protect myself should she decide to flip the script and file a claim after all is said and done and aslo what should I write on the check.

Thanks,
Jennis

Postby Mayne » Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:08 am

Hi Theo, you should make up a "release of claim" form detailing the amounts of money you and the neighbor have agreed upon for the repair and the 3 days worth of car rental.  Specify that the release is for "any and all claims arising from the MVA on date, time and place between the two vehicles, both present and future".  Try to have both parties sign the release before a Notary Public.  On the check write "for all present and future damages from MVA on date, time and place".
Mayne

Return to Rental Law