Not logged in? Join one of the bigest Law Forums on the Internet! Join Now!  

Advertisments:

Sponsor Links:

Discount Legal Forms
Discounted Legal Texts

HELLLLLPPPP!! How to evict non paying lodger/tenant from my CA residence?

Having a dispute with a tenant or landlord? Rental Law discussion

Postby vohkinne » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:17 am

Ok so I am writing this on my mothers behalf. My mothers 40yr old daughter and her girlfriend are absolute nightmares. They are drug addicted bi polar insane lesbians that are going to drive my mom to an early grave if she doesnt get rid of them soon. I have been reading about how to go about the eviction process and I am kinda stumped. So my sister is currently in jail and her girlfriend refuses to leave the residence and my mother wants her out ASAP! Take quick note ( A) neither sister nor girlfriend have payed rent to my mother since they have been together 2+yrs, B) also they use drugs on a regular basis. Ok I served both my sister and the girlfriend separate 30 day eviction notices, 30-40 days ago. I personally handed them the eviction notices' but they just left them on the kitchen counter. So there is 1 angle (even though now I read that i have to give someone who has been residing at residence for 1year or longer a 60 day eviction notice) Also I dont know whether she(girlfriend) is catagorized as a "lodger" therefore would be able to serve her with a 3 day notice therefore to get her out that much quicker...(one thing is my mother has a pretty big house and is a generous women and is renting a room out to a 28 yr old male as well....would I have to disclose this info to the court? because if so im pretty sure i cannot say she is a "lodger'). Or is she(girlfriend) regarded as a "non paying tenant" and we would have to give her a valid 60-day eviction notice before filing an unlawful detainer packet with the courts. What should I do? this is extremely dire situation that needs to be handled ASAP! thanks for your help!
vohkinne

Postby gillivray5 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:24 am

Hire some burly bikers to remove them. Really, just toss them out and if they come back use deadly force against the intruders.
gillivray5

Postby giulio » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:41 am

The 60-day requirement is if you have more than one lodger, so yes, the fact of another lodger would have to be disclosed.

I am not an expert, but I don't see that your sister and girlfriend have a tenant/landlord relationship with your mother, since there has been no rent paid, nor any contracts signed.

My recommendation is speak with a tenant/landlord rights organization for basic information. They'll usually give that pro bono.

Here's some online resources:
http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/landlords
http://www.dca.ca.gov/publications/?landlordbook/?catenant.pdf
http://www.caanet.org/
giulio

Return to Rental Law