Advertisments:

Sponsor Links:

Discount Legal Forms
Discounted Legal Texts

Hebrews 5:12-14

Defamation Law Discussion Forum

Postby ailwyn » Sun Nov 27, 2016 4:40 pm

Hello, I have been studying this scripture for quite some time.  I had a dream after receiving the Holy Ghost and being baptised about a man sitting with me in a bright room and he told me to read this and perhaps much confusion in my life would come.  Can you help interpret this scripture?  Well, I had the dream 3 years ago and yes, much confusion for my husband and I about "what church" to go to.  I am UPC....my husband doesn't believe in "ONeness".  Well, from my experience of "hopping" churches in the last few years, I'm always drawn back to United Pentecostal because God's presence is much stronger there.  However, not to say I don't feel it at other churches, just "stronger" at UPC.  I don't expect you to answer this if you don't feel comfortable.  Thank you though for any help/advise/interpretation.

=)God be with you

ANSWER: Kristi, I don't know much about the interpretation of dreams, but I can interpret this scripture.

Heb 5:11-14

11 We have much to say about this, but it is hard to explain because you are slow to learn. 12 In fact, though by this time you ought to be teachers, you need someone to teach you the elementary truths of God's word all over again. You need milk, not solid food! 13 Anyone who lives on milk, being still an infant, is not acquainted with the teaching about righteousness. 14 But solid food is for the mature, who by constant use have trained themselves to distinguish good from evil.(from New International Version)

The topic is the "obedience of faith".  Even Jesus had to "learn" obedience by going through all the times He was slandered, hated and even kicked out of towns.   

He was "perfected" by this.  The word in the original language of the NT(Greek) is "teleos" which is best understood as "completed, come to the end".  Jesus fulfilled His goal of being the savior of all who call upon Him for their salvation through all the suffering including His death on the cross for our sins.

These passages are urging us to have the "obedience of faith", that is;   obeying God according to His Word BECAUSE we trust Him to bring us through anything in our lives.

This is the whole life of sanctification ..after we have been saved by the blood of Jesus.  It is not always easy to discern where God is leading us and what He wants us to do, so, as the verses say,  "it is difficult/hard to explain".   

God seeks maturity on our part, walking with Him even in the difficult times while trusting that He will make all things work for our good.  I don't know your reasons for "church hopping" but for many, it is because they want to be served by a church rather than serve others.  

God's presence is in His Word.  If all the Bible is being taught in a church, that is where you want to be so that you are founded on God's Word and can become mature enough to go through instances and situations where you are willing to suffer.....just as Jesus did out of His love for you.

---------- FOLLOW-UP ----------

Hi Mr. Gade!  Thank you so much for your reply so quickly.  I appreciate you.  Well, I have another question if you don't mind.  

I have been dealing alot with anger issues and I have recently been having a hard time praying in the spirit.  I've repented and I believe I'm forgiven, but I don't understand why I keep struggling with anger and bursts of rage.  I'm very concerned with myself and need any help.  I've noticed a big change in my prayer life.  However, I have been reading my bible more.  It's hard to "make myself" pray when I don't feel like it or when I just feel God is not hearing me or helping me by delivering me from this "anger".  I've decided to quit watching 4 kids all together and to stay home with my daughter that's 2 so I can hopefully go back to being happy.  don't get me wrong, I'm happy for salvation in Jesus Christ, but I'm upset about my fits of anger and not being self-controlled.  I don't know how to make myself stop.  Can you give any advice?  Scripturely?  Any?  Thanks again,  Kristi

ANSWER: There is a difference between having salvation and leading a perfect life.   Salvation is an unearned gift from God through the blood of Jesus Christ.  It's yours and God has declared you to be His child with all the privileges including eternal life kept for you in heaven.

Having the "abundant life" that Jesus spoke of has to do with our journey on earth, seeking and achieving  the spiritual rest that God wants us to have in Him so we enjoy this present life.   This is a process.   We are seeking maturity.  We are constantly having to "put on" the things of God and "take off" the things of the flesh.

Eph 6:10-13

10 Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. 11 Put on the full armor of God so that you can take your stand against the devil's schemes. 12 For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. 13 Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground,

(from New International Version)

Col 3:5-11

5 Put to death, therefore, whatever belongs to your earthly nature: sexual immorality, impurity, lust, evil desires and greed, which is idolatry. 6 Because of these, the wrath of God is coming.   7 You used to walk in these ways, in the life you once lived. 8 But now you must rid yourselves of all such things as these: anger, rage, malice, slander, and filthy language from your lips. 9 Do not lie to each other, since you have taken off your old self with its practices 10 and have put on the new self, which is being renewed in knowledge in the image of its Creator.(from New International Version)

That is a constant struggle going on within us, in our minds.  The battle has ups and downs, slow growth sometimes, backsliding at other times.  Happily, the love that God has for us doesn't change,   but WE suffer loss of love:  for ourselves, for others and sometimes even for God(as in when we think, "Why doesn't God change me NOW".

I don't know the answer to that last one, but God ALLOWS us to go on like immature children FOR OUR GOOD.   As in " I have been reading my bible more."  For whatever reason God has in allowing you to struggle, it is to cleanse you and make you better even in your own eyes as well as the eyes of others who want to see God in their lives.

1 Peter 1:3-7

In his great mercy he has given us new birth into a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, 4 and into an inheritance that can never perish, spoil or fade-kept in heaven for you, 5 who through faith are shielded by God's power until the coming of the salvation that is ready to be revealed in the last time. 6 In this you greatly rejoice, though now for a little while you may have had to suffer grief in all kinds of trials. 7 These have come so that your faith-of greater worth than gold, which perishes even though refined by fire-may be proved genuine and may result in praise, glory and honor when Jesus Christ is revealed.

The message that I get from God about my own stubborn bad habits(old clinging sins) is DON'T GIVE UP. Keep asking God to strengthen you to overcome the anger.  

And above all, don't doubt that God still loves you.  He knew you were a sinner when He called you to be His child.  You may even been His enemy at that time.  

Rom 8:32

32 He who did not spare his own Son, but gave him up for us all-how will he not also, along with him, graciously give us all things?

Sometime that hesitancy to pray to God is because we are ashamed of not having already achieved more than we have in overcoming besetting sins.  And sometimes our feelings of guilt can even cause us to be angry at God and not want to talk to Him.  Sometimes you've got to push yourself and just go ahead and pray even when you don't feel like it.  

I've also found that reading the Psalms, the prayers of King David, helps "prime the pump" as we recall how God has always loved His children and done great things for us from that love.

Hello there, thank you so much for your responses.  You are a blessing.  I have so much on my mind.  Another question I have is the submission of wives to their husbands.  The scripture 1 Corinthians somewhere talks about it.  My husband wants to lead our lives to this other church and he says he is the spiritual leader and head of the woman so I should follow his lead.  Also, I'm confused that after "church hopping" that I felt God's presence stronger at my home church then the other ones.  Well, how do I trust my husband's choice when in my heart I feel you should blossom where God plants you?  Or should I just trust God and follow my husband since he is the man?  Any biblical help?  Thanks so much.

ANSWER: Going back to your original question about Heb.5 and the topic of  "the obedience of faith" ;   it's hardly ever really easy especialy when we see a different view than the one given us by another person.

It is in Paul's letter to the Christians in Ephesis that he writes about the husband/wife relationship.

Eph 5:21-28

21 Submit to one another out of reverence for Christ. 22 Wives, submit to your husbands as to the Lord. 23 For the husband is the head of the wife as Christ is the head of the church, his body, of which he is the Savior. 24 Now as the church submits to Christ, so also wives should submit to their husbands in everything. 25 Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her 26 to make her holy, cleansing her by the washing with water through the word, 27 and to present her to himself as a radiant church, without stain or wrinkle or any other blemish, but holy and blameless. 28 In this same way, husbands ought to love their wives as their own bodies. He who loves his wife loves himself.

(from New International Version) In the last part of that chapter he says it is a great mystery and is really speaking about Christ and the Church.  It is certainly difficult for us to follow the words given by Paul in out time when "submission" to anyone or anything is very unpopular.

But if God calls for it, then we will be blessed by following His Word.   This is the true meaning of the "obedience of faith" :  we trust that God has a good purpose for us to be obedient to Him no matter how we feel.

NOTE:  The first line of the passage that I posted above it says that there is to be a submitting to one another, which sounds like it includes husbands as well as wives even though being submissive is directed  only to wives in the next verses.    I include this little extra part of "confusion" because the husband is called to love his wife as he loves his own being. There are different "roles" given;  different jobs, not inequality between wife and husband. Secondly "submission" is a different word than "obedience".  Children are to "obey" parents, while wives are to recognize the authority of their husbands which God has given them.  And in that recognition there is a voluntary obedience if they are not asked to go against the clear word of God.

IF you do this, you will be blessed by God just like your husband will be blessed by "nourishing you and cherishing you".  That much I have learned about the roles God has given husbands and wives.   Otherwise marriage is still a mystery to me though I have been married 44 years to my wife.   

May God bless you in your decision.

Hi, I am so excited to be in God's word and with you.  Now, I read 1 John 4:1-3 and it talks about testing the spirits.....if they confess Jesus Christ has come in the flesh.  Well, how am I suppose to ask someone this without sounding weird?  I know it's biblical, but to just come out and ask someone might be hard.  Do you know how I can "test the spirits".  Hopefully you can help.

Also, I still wanted to see if you knew anything on God's presence being stronger in certain places.  Or maybe it has to do with all people coming together in one mind and one accord.  I'm telling you, pentecostals are more on fire for God.  The most anyways.  Also, in the bible somewhere it talks about how Jesus spits out those who are warm for him.  What exactly do you think this means?  Thanks Mr. Wade, you are a gift from God.  Amazing you have been married so long.  That is such a gift in itself.  Bless you and your family.

ANSWER: We are not to go search out prophets and give them a test.  This is simply saying that false prophets are out there and we are to beware of them.   The airways are full of people proclaiming to be prophets of God and there are plentiful churches in every town proclaiming to be from God.   What distinguishes them as either from God or not from God is the BASIS of their teaching.   ARE THEY TEACHING THAT JESUS CHRIST HAS COME FROM THE FATHER AS OUR COMPLETE SAVIOR OR NOT?

Many are very deceitful.  They say that they are saints of Jesus Christ,  but teach that only that He was a special man and we can become like Him.   Or that He was a great teacher showing us how to live the good life, a philosopher, an example, a wise man, was godlike, was sent by God, etc.

What they omit is that He is the only begotten Son of the the only God, born of a woman to deal with with the guilt and sure punishment of their sins.

They are to confess that Jesus is God come in the flesh.  That is THEIR obligation if they claim to be prophets of God.  If they don't, then they are not of God.  You shouldn't even have to ask them.  The prophets of God ALWAYS proclaim the offspring(singular)of Eve who would crush the head of satan.

Col 2:13-15

13 When you were dead in your sins and in the uncircumcision of your sinful nature, God made you alive with Christ. He forgave us all our sins, 14 having canceled the written code, with its regulations, that was against us and that stood opposed to us; he took it away, nailing it to the cross. 15 And having disarmed the powers and authorities, he made a public spectacle of them, triumphing over them by the cross.   

All these false prophets will ignore or pervert the "theology of the cross": that a perfect person had to die in our place to reconcile us to the Father.

Those who meet to seek God and minister to each other do have more power. Notice the multiplication and not just an equal addition:

Deut 32:30-31

30 How could one man chase a thousand,

or two put ten thousand to flight,

unless their Rock had sold them,

unless the LORD had given them up? 31 For their rock is not like our Rock,

as even our enemies concede. It is for this reason that we are told not to neglect the meeting together as some do.

Heb 10:24-25

24 And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. 25 Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another-and all the more as you see the Day approaching.(from New International Version)

The "lukewarm" are those who follow the form of our religion with God, but are not spiritually alive.  But each has their own gift from God and we cannot always know the depth of their love for God and others by outward actions.  God judges only the heart.....which we cannot see.

Isa 11:3

He will not judge by what he sees with his eyes,

or decide by what he hears with his ears;(from New International Version)

Hi, how are you today?  Thank you for your answers to my questions.  I appreciate you.  God Bless you.  Okay, I was reading Matthew 29-32.  The first part of this says when we are married on earth we don't take our marriage to heaven with us?  I've heard different opinions in the past.  People tend to get upset that we won't have this special relationship with each other in Heaven.  What do you believe?  Will we have our wives/husbands with us in Heaven still?  

One more question, do you know anyone who can interpret dreams?  I've never heard of anyone doing this but I thought I'd ask.  =)

ANSWER: I have a strong opinion about why there will be no "marrying or giving in marriage" as the Bible tells us:

Matt 22:30

30 At the resurrection people will neither marry nor be given in marriage; they will be like the angels in heaven.

Luke 20:34-36

34 Jesus replied, "The people of this age marry and are given in marriage. 35 But those who are considered worthy of taking part in that age and in the resurrection from the dead will neither marry nor be given in marriage, 36 and they can no longer die; for they are like the angels.

It is an opinion and not a sure doctrine.  It is this:

There will a unity and oneness when we are with God and all the saints in heaven that the unity we enjoy on earth in marriage will be superceded by this new unity.

We will know all things in heaven and there will be no sin to keep us apart from one another.  We often forget that Jesus came not only to reconcile us with God but also to reconcile us with each other.  Right now, we have a taste of what heaven will be like if we have an exceptionably good marriage. A place of trust, knowing we are loved, with little fear in revealing ourselves to one another.   Heaven will be the PERFECTION of that.

Just as we have difficulty understanding the love God has for us now, we also have difficulty understanding the love which will be between all those who are fully sanctified by the blood of Jesus, our savior.

1 Cor 13:12

12 Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.(from New International Version)

No, I don't know anyone who who can always interpret dreams though I know some in my fellowship who do interpret dreams and prophesies SOMETIMES.  None of them are known to interpret outside of a small group of family and friends.

Hello today.  That's so incredible you know someone who can interpret dreams.  Unfortunately I don't.  I always have dreams though, however, I think I can interpret most of them on my own.  But sometimes I am very confused.  You should have your friend come online to do what you do in helping others.  IT could be a God given talent or ministry.  

I do have another question.  I'm reading Matthew 25:14-30 I'm very concerned about this parable because my husband and I don't make much money.  I'm reading this and I see that if you don't put your money that is given by God thru our paychecks into an interest savings plan, then we are wicked??  I'm confused.  My husband and I don't even have a savings, we talk about it...we put a little in, but always end up pulling it out because we need it.  I'm really concerned.  Am I understanding this parable?  Is it about putting your money in a bank account to accrue interest??  What's the word "talent" in respect to?

Thanks for your help

~Kristi

ANSWER: The parable has nothing to do with money.

It is about the kingdom of God.

We, who have become God's children through the blood of Jesus are each members of His kingdom. God wants us to be "productive" citizens of His kingdom even while we are on earth.   Part of the productivity that God is looking at from us is doing good to our neighbor out of reflected love from God AND helping them find the peace and love of God.

For us to do that, God has given each of us special "talents" or/gifts of the His Holy Spirit:

Rom 12:4-8

4 Just as each of us has one body with many members, and these members do not all have the same function, 5 so in Christ we who are many form one body, and each member belongs to all the others. 6 We have different gifts, according to the grace given us. If a man's gift is prophesying, let him use it in proportion to his faith. 7 If it is serving, let him serve; if it is teaching, let him teach; 8 if it is encouraging, let him encourage; if it is contributing to the needs of others, let him give generously; if it is leadership, let him govern diligently; if it is showing mercy, let him do it cheerfully.(from New International Version)

1 Cor 12:4-11

4 There are different kinds of gifts, but the same Spirit. 5 There are different kinds of service, but the same Lord. 6 There are different kinds of working, but the same God works all of them in all men. 7 Now to each one the manifestation of the Spirit is given for the common good. 8 To one there is given through the Spirit the message of wisdom, to another the message of knowledge by means of the same Spirit, 9 to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healing by that one Spirit, 10 to another miraculous powers, to another prophecy, to another distinguishing between spirits, to another speaking in different kinds of tongues, and to still another the interpretation of tongues.   11 All these are the work of one and the same Spirit, and he gives them to each one, just as he determines.(from New International Version)

To "bury" these gifts...ie. not use them for the good of the kingdom of God, is a terrible waste.  Many are afraid to use the spiritual gifts God has given them because they think they have to be perfect first and that God will be angry if they mess up using something so holy.   But God knows that we are made of dust.   He knew how weak and flawed we were even before He chose us and called us to be a part of His kingdom now and into eternity.

Jesus is explaining that the kingdom God is a spiritual kingdom wherein we have God as our king and we are His children as well as citizens of it.  

The world likes to judge and condemn each mistake a person makes.  It's their nature.   But we are the children of God and should be bold in using what God has given us to make the world a better place and bring glory to God.  

If we mess up, there is no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus.

OKay, thank you, but how do we know what our gift is?  Could it be that I am in a season of "not using my gift" as that is how I feel.  So, I'm hiding it or just God is molding me?  I just want to do something for God's kingdom but have no idea what to do really.  I don't know what "gift" I have besides his holy spirit and salvation.  Yes, you are right, I feel everyone thinks I'm a bad person when I say something wrong or make a mistake.  A girl told me yesterday that I am too unstable for her and her son.  Anyways, she goes to the church I went to for several years, and now I feel awkward to see her again.  Even though we emailed each other and "made up".  Thanks for all advice.

ANSWER: Here is a partial listing of the gifts that God gives to us:

1 Cor 12:7-11

7 Now to each one the manifestation of the Spirit is given for the common good. 8 To one there is given through the Spirit the message of wisdom, to another the message of knowledge by means of the same Spirit, 9 to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healing by that one Spirit, 10 to another miraculous powers, to another prophecy, to another distinguishing between spirits, to another speaking in different kinds of tongues, and to still another the interpretation of tongues.   11 All these are the work of one and the same Spirit, and he gives them to each one, just as he determines.(from New International Version)

Rom 12:6-8

6 We have different gifts, according to the grace given us. If a man's gift is prophesying, let him use it in proportion to his faith. 7 If it is serving, let him serve; if it is teaching, let him teach; 8 if it is encouraging, let him encourage; if it is contributing to the needs of others, let him give generously; if it is leadership, let him govern diligently; if it is showing mercy, let him do it cheerfully.(from New International Version)

I believe that even taking these two scripture together, there are other unnamed gifts which God gives.  For instance, some have received the gift of martyrdom: they were not afraid when they were put to death for their faith.

It may be that it is not the "season" for your gift to be used.  Maybe you are still being molded.   However, St. Paul speaks of the highest gift which we should all seek and practice:

1 Cor 12:27-13:8

27 Now you are the body of Christ, and each one of you is a part of it. 28 And in the church God has appointed first of all apostles, second prophets, third teachers, then workers of miracles, also those having gifts of healing, those able to help others, those with gifts of administration, and those speaking in different kinds of tongues. 29 Are all apostles? Are all prophets? Are all teachers? Do all work miracles? 30 Do all have gifts of healing? Do all speak in tongues? Do all interpret? 31 But eagerly desire the greater gifts. And now I will show you the most excellent way. 1 Corinthians 13 13:1 If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. 2 If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. 3 If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames, but have not love, I gain nothing. 4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. 8 Love never fails.(from New International Version)

Practice the gift of love with others; your own family, your fellow believers in Christ and those which need your love to know God.

The way of love that God wants us to follow is that kind which He has already shown to us....and which He even defined for us step by step in v. 4-7 above.

As you practice the gift of love,  another gift or gifts will be revealed to you.

If you have further questions for me, please begin with a new post.   Either my E-mail server or AllExperts is having a problem sending your message to me possibly because of its length.

Hello how are you?  I have a question about the pastors who are the "shepherd" of their flock.  Right?  I guess I'm very sad that my pastor has not called me or anything to see how my family is doing.  If someone stops coming to the church you would think the pastor would be concerned and call or something.  But is this true biblically that he is held accountable for us?  Or was he just a teacher and the Lord is our only Shepard?
ailwyn

Postby Eddis » Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:02 am

Hello, I have been studying this scripture for quite some time.  I had a dream after receiving the Holy Ghost and being baptised about a man sitting with me in a bright room and he told me to read this and perhaps much confusion in my life would come.  Can you help interpret this scripture?  Well, I had the dream 3 years ago and yes, much confusion for my husband and I about "what church" to go to.  I am UPC....my husband doesn't believe in "ONeness".  Well, from my experience of "hopping" churches in the last few years, I'm always drawn back to United Pentecostal because God's presence is much stronger there.  However, not to say I don't feel it at other churches, just "stronger" at UPC.  I don't expect you to answer this if you don't feel comfortable.  Thank you though for any help/advise/interpretation.

=)God be with you

ANSWER: Kristi, I don't know much about the interpretation of dreams, but I can interpret this scripture.

Heb 5:11-14

11 We have much to say about this, but it is hard to explain because you are slow to learn. 12 In fact, though by this time you ought to be teachers, you need someone to teach you the elementary truths of God's word all over again. You need milk, not solid food! 13 Anyone who lives on milk, being still an infant, is not acquainted with the teaching about righteousness. 14 But solid food is for the mature, who by constant use have trained themselves to distinguish good from evil.(from New International Version)

The topic is the "obedience of faith".  Even Jesus had to "learn" obedience by going through all the times He was slandered, hated and even kicked out of towns.   

He was "perfected" by this.  The word in the original language of the NT(Greek) is "teleos" which is best understood as "completed, come to the end".  Jesus fulfilled His goal of being the savior of all who call upon Him for their salvation through all the suffering including His death on the cross for our sins.

These passages are urging us to have the "obedience of faith", that is;   obeying God according to His Word BECAUSE we trust Him to bring us through anything in our lives.

This is the whole life of sanctification ..after we have been saved by the blood of Jesus.  It is not always easy to discern where God is leading us and what He wants us to do, so, as the verses say,  "it is difficult/hard to explain".   

God seeks maturity on our part, walking with Him even in the difficult times while trusting that He will make all things work for our good.  I don't know your reasons for "church hopping" but for many, it is because they want to be served by a church rather than serve others.  

God's presence is in His Word.  If all the Bible is being taught in a church, that is where you want to be so that you are founded on God's Word and can become mature enough to go through instances and situations where you are willing to suffer.....just as Jesus did out of His love for you.

Hi Mr. Gade!  Thank you so much for your reply so quickly.  I appreciate you.  Well, I have another question if you don't mind.  

I have been dealing alot with anger issues and I have recently been having a hard time praying in the spirit.  I've repented and I believe I'm forgiven, but I don't understand why I keep struggling with anger and bursts of rage.  I'm very concerned with myself and need any help.  I've noticed a big change in my prayer life.  However, I have been reading my bible more.  It's hard to "make myself" pray when I don't feel like it or when I just feel God is not hearing me or helping me by delivering me from this "anger".  I've decided to quit watching 4 kids all together and to stay home with my daughter that's 2 so I can hopefully go back to being happy.  don't get me wrong, I'm happy for salvation in Jesus Christ, but I'm upset about my fits of anger and not being self-controlled.  I don't know how to make myself stop.  Can you give any advice?  Scripturely?  Any?  Thanks again,  Kristi

ANSWER: There is a difference between having salvation and leading a perfect life.   Salvation is an unearned gift from God through the blood of Jesus Christ.  It's yours and God has declared you to be His child with all the privileges including eternal life kept for you in heaven.

Having the "abundant life" that Jesus spoke of has to do with our journey on earth, seeking and achieving  the spiritual rest that God wants us to have in Him so we enjoy this present life.   This is a process.   We are seeking maturity.  We are constantly having to "put on" the things of God and "take off" the things of the flesh.

Eph 6:10-13

10 Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. 11 Put on the full armor of God so that you can take your stand against the devil's schemes. 12 For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. 13 Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground,

Col 3:5-11

5 Put to death, therefore, whatever belongs to your earthly nature: sexual immorality, impurity, lust, evil desires and greed, which is idolatry. 6 Because of these, the wrath of God is coming.   7 You used to walk in these ways, in the life you once lived. 8 But now you must rid yourselves of all such things as these: anger, rage, malice, slander, and filthy language from your lips. 9 Do not lie to each other, since you have taken off your old self with its practices 10 and have put on the new self, which is being renewed in knowledge in the image of its Creator.(from New International Version)

That is a constant struggle going on within us, in our minds.  The battle has ups and downs, slow growth sometimes, backsliding at other times.  Happily, the love that God has for us doesn't change,   but WE suffer loss of love:  for ourselves, for others and sometimes even for God(as in when we think, "Why doesn't God change me NOW".

I don't know the answer to that last one, but God ALLOWS us to go on like immature children FOR OUR GOOD.   As in " I have been reading my bible more."  For whatever reason God has in allowing you to struggle, it is to cleanse you and make you better even in your own eyes as well as the eyes of others who want to see God in their lives.

1 Peter 1:3-7

In his great mercy he has given us new birth into a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, 4 and into an inheritance that can never perish, spoil or fade-kept in heaven for you, 5 who through faith are shielded by God's power until the coming of the salvation that is ready to be revealed in the last time. 6 In this you greatly rejoice, though now for a little while you may have had to suffer grief in all kinds of trials. 7 These have come so that your faith-of greater worth than gold, which perishes even though refined by fire-may be proved genuine and may result in praise, glory and honor when Jesus Christ is revealed.

The message that I get from God about my own stubborn bad habits(old clinging sins) is DON'T GIVE UP. Keep asking God to strengthen you to overcome the anger.  

And above all, don't doubt that God still loves you.  He knew you were a sinner when He called you to be His child.  You may even been His enemy at that time.  

Rom 8:32

32 He who did not spare his own Son, but gave him up for us all-how will he not also, along with him, graciously give us all things?

Sometime that hesitancy to pray to God is because we are ashamed of not having already achieved more than we have in overcoming besetting sins.  And sometimes our feelings of guilt can even cause us to be angry at God and not want to talk to Him.  Sometimes you've got to push yourself and just go ahead and pray even when you don't feel like it.  

I've also found that reading the Psalms, the prayers of King David, helps "prime the pump" as we recall how God has always loved His children and done great things for us from that love.

Hello there, thank you so much for your responses.  You are a blessing.  I have so much on my mind.  Another question I have is the submission of wives to their husbands.  The scripture 1 Corinthians somewhere talks about it.  My husband wants to lead our lives to this other church and he says he is the spiritual leader and head of the woman so I should follow his lead.  Also, I'm confused that after "church hopping" that I felt God's presence stronger at my home church then the other ones.  Well, how do I trust my husband's choice when in my heart I feel you should blossom where God plants you?  Or should I just trust God and follow my husband since he is the man?  Any biblical help?  Thanks so much.

ANSWER: Going back to your original question about Heb.5 and the topic of  "the obedience of faith" ;   it's hardly ever really easy especialy when we see a different view than the one given us by another person.

It is in Paul's letter to the Christians in Ephesis that he writes about the husband/wife relationship.

Eph 5:21-28

21 Submit to one another out of reverence for Christ. 22 Wives, submit to your husbands as to the Lord. 23 For the husband is the head of the wife as Christ is the head of the church, his body, of which he is the Savior. 24 Now as the church submits to Christ, so also wives should submit to their husbands in everything. 25 Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her 26 to make her holy, cleansing her by the washing with water through the word, 27 and to present her to himself as a radiant church, without stain or wrinkle or any other blemish, but holy and blameless. 28 In this same way, husbands ought to love their wives as their own bodies. He who loves his wife loves himself.

(from New International Version) In the last part of that chapter he says it is a great mystery and is really speaking about Christ and the Church.  It is certainly difficult for us to follow the words given by Paul in out time when "submission" to anyone or anything is very unpopular.

But if God calls for it, then we will be blessed by following His Word.   This is the true meaning of the "obedience of faith" :  we trust that God has a good purpose for us to be obedient to Him no matter how we feel.

NOTE:  The first line of the passage that I posted above it says that there is to be a submitting to one another, which sounds like it includes husbands as well as wives even though being submissive is directed  only to wives in the next verses.    I include this little extra part of "confusion" because the husband is called to love his wife as he loves his own being. There are different "roles" given;  different jobs, not inequality between wife and husband. Secondly "submission" is a different word than "obedience".  Children are to "obey" parents, while wives are to recognize the authority of their husbands which God has given them.  And in that recognition there is a voluntary obedience if they are not asked to go against the clear word of God.

IF you do this, you will be blessed by God just like your husband will be blessed by "nourishing you and cherishing you".  That much I have learned about the roles God has given husbands and wives.   Otherwise marriage is still a mystery to me though I have been married 44 years to my wife.   

May God bless you in your decision.

Hi, I am so excited to be in God's word and with you.  Now, I read 1 John 4:1-3 and it talks about testing the spirits.....if they confess Jesus Christ has come in the flesh.  Well, how am I suppose to ask someone this without sounding weird?  I know it's biblical, but to just come out and ask someone might be hard.  Do you know how I can "test the spirits".  Hopefully you can help.

Also, I still wanted to see if you knew anything on God's presence being stronger in certain places.  Or maybe it has to do with all people coming together in one mind and one accord.  I'm telling you, pentecostals are more on fire for God.  The most anyways.  Also, in the bible somewhere it talks about how Jesus spits out those who are warm for him.  What exactly do you think this means?  Thanks Mr. Wade, you are a gift from God.  Amazing you have been married so long.  That is such a gift in itself.  Bless you and your family.

ANSWER: We are not to go search out prophets and give them a test.  This is simply saying that false prophets are out there and we are to beware of them.   The airways are full of people proclaiming to be prophets of God and there are plentiful churches in every town proclaiming to be from God.   What distinguishes them as either from God or not from God is the BASIS of their teaching.   ARE THEY TEACHING THAT JESUS CHRIST HAS COME FROM THE FATHER AS OUR COMPLETE SAVIOR OR NOT?

Many are very deceitful.  They say that they are saints of Jesus Christ,  but teach that only that He was a special man and we can become like Him.   Or that He was a great teacher showing us how to live the good life, a philosopher, an example, a wise man, was godlike, was sent by God, etc.

What they omit is that He is the only begotten Son of the the only God, born of a woman to deal with with the guilt and sure punishment of their sins.

They are to confess that Jesus is God come in the flesh.  That is THEIR obligation if they claim to be prophets of God.  If they don't, then they are not of God.  You shouldn't even have to ask them.  The prophets of God ALWAYS proclaim the offspring(singular)of Eve who would crush the head of satan.

Col 2:13-15

13 When you were dead in your sins and in the uncircumcision of your sinful nature, God made you alive with Christ. He forgave us all our sins, 14 having canceled the written code, with its regulations, that was against us and that stood opposed to us; he took it away, nailing it to the cross. 15 And having disarmed the powers and authorities, he made a public spectacle of them, triumphing over them by the cross.   

All these false prophets will ignore or pervert the "theology of the cross": that a perfect person had to die in our place to reconcile us to the Father.

Those who meet to seek God and minister to each other do have more power. Notice the multiplication and not just an equal addition:

Deut 32:30-31

30 How could one man chase a thousand,

or two put ten thousand to flight,

unless their Rock had sold them,

unless the LORD had given them up? 31 For their rock is not like our Rock,

as even our enemies concede. It is for this reason that we are told not to neglect the meeting together as some do.

Heb 10:24-25

24 And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. 25 Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another-and all the more as you see the Day approaching.(from New International Version)

The "lukewarm" are those who follow the form of our religion with God, but are not spiritually alive.  But each has their own gift from God and we cannot always know the depth of their love for God and others by outward actions.  God judges only the heart.....which we cannot see.

Isa 11:3

He will not judge by what he sees with his eyes,

or decide by what he hears with his ears;(from New International Version)

Hi, how are you today?  Thank you for your answers to my questions.  I appreciate you.  God Bless you.  Okay, I was reading Matthew 29-32.  The first part of this says when we are married on earth we don't take our marriage to heaven with us?  I've heard different opinions in the past.  People tend to get upset that we won't have this special relationship with each other in Heaven.  What do you believe?  Will we have our wives/husbands with us in Heaven still?  

One more question, do you know anyone who can interpret dreams?  I've never heard of anyone doing this but I thought I'd ask.  =)

ANSWER: I have a strong opinion about why there will be no "marrying or giving in marriage" as the Bible tells us:

Matt 22:30

30 At the resurrection people will neither marry nor be given in marriage; they will be like the angels in heaven.

Luke 20:34-36

34 Jesus replied, "The people of this age marry and are given in marriage. 35 But those who are considered worthy of taking part in that age and in the resurrection from the dead will neither marry nor be given in marriage, 36 and they can no longer die; for they are like the angels.

It is an opinion and not a sure doctrine.  It is this:

There will a unity and oneness when we are with God and all the saints in heaven that the unity we enjoy on earth in marriage will be superceded by this new unity.

We will know all things in heaven and there will be no sin to keep us apart from one another.  We often forget that Jesus came not only to reconcile us with God but also to reconcile us with each other.  Right now, we have a taste of what heaven will be like if we have an exceptionably good marriage. A place of trust, knowing we are loved, with little fear in revealing ourselves to one another.   Heaven will be the PERFECTION of that.

Just as we have difficulty understanding the love God has for us now, we also have difficulty understanding the love which will be between all those who are fully sanctified by the blood of Jesus, our savior.

1 Cor 13:12

12 Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.(from New International Version)

No, I don't know anyone who who can always interpret dreams though I know some in my fellowship who do interpret dreams and prophesies SOMETIMES.  None of them are known to interpret outside of a small group of family and friends.

Hello today.  That's so incredible you know someone who can interpret dreams.  Unfortunately I don't.  I always have dreams though, however, I think I can interpret most of them on my own.  But sometimes I am very confused.  You should have your friend come online to do what you do in helping others.  IT could be a God given talent or ministry.  

I do have another question.  I'm reading Matthew 25:14-30 I'm very concerned about this parable because my husband and I don't make much money.  I'm reading this and I see that if you don't put your money that is given by God thru our paychecks into an interest savings plan, then we are wicked??  I'm confused.  My husband and I don't even have a savings, we talk about it...we put a little in, but always end up pulling it out because we need it.  I'm really concerned.  Am I understanding this parable?  Is it about putting your money in a bank account to accrue interest??  What's the word "talent" in respect to?

Thanks for your help

~Kristi

ANSWER: The parable has nothing to do with money.

It is about the kingdom of God.

We, who have become God's children through the blood of Jesus are each members of His kingdom. God wants us to be "productive" citizens of His kingdom even while we are on earth.   Part of the productivity that God is looking at from us is doing good to our neighbor out of reflected love from God AND helping them find the peace and love of God.

For us to do that, God has given each of us special "talents" or/gifts of the His Holy Spirit:

Rom 12:4-8

4 Just as each of us has one body with many members, and these members do not all have the same function, 5 so in Christ we who are many form one body, and each member belongs to all the others. 6 We have different gifts, according to the grace given us. If a man's gift is prophesying, let him use it in proportion to his faith. 7 If it is serving, let him serve; if it is teaching, let him teach; 8 if it is encouraging, let him encourage; if it is contributing to the needs of others, let him give generously; if it is leadership, let him govern diligently; if it is showing mercy, let him do it cheerfully.(from New International Version)

1 Cor 12:4-11

4 There are different kinds of gifts, but the same Spirit. 5 There are different kinds of service, but the same Lord. 6 There are different kinds of working, but the same God works all of them in all men. 7 Now to each one the manifestation of the Spirit is given for the common good. 8 To one there is given through the Spirit the message of wisdom, to another the message of knowledge by means of the same Spirit, 9 to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healing by that one Spirit, 10 to another miraculous powers, to another prophecy, to another distinguishing between spirits, to another speaking in different kinds of tongues, and to still another the interpretation of tongues.   11 All these are the work of one and the same Spirit, and he gives them to each one, just as he determines.(from New International Version)

To "bury" these gifts...ie. not use them for the good of the kingdom of God, is a terrible waste.  Many are afraid to use the spiritual gifts God has given them because they think they have to be perfect first and that God will be angry if they mess up using something so holy.   But God knows that we are made of dust.   He knew how weak and flawed we were even before He chose us and called us to be a part of His kingdom now and into eternity.

Jesus is explaining that the kingdom God is a spiritual kingdom wherein we have God as our king and we are His children as well as citizens of it.  

The world likes to judge and condemn each mistake a person makes.  It's their nature.   But we are the children of God and should be bold in using what God has given us to make the world a better place and bring glory to God.  

If we mess up, there is no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus.

OKay, thank you, but how do we know what our gift is?  Could it be that I am in a season of "not using my gift" as that is how I feel.  So, I'm hiding it or just God is molding me?  I just want to do something for God's kingdom but have no idea what to do really.  I don't know what "gift" I have besides his holy spirit and salvation.  Yes, you are right, I feel everyone thinks I'm a bad person when I say something wrong or make a mistake.  A girl told me yesterday that I am too unstable for her and her son.  Anyways, she goes to the church I went to for several years, and now I feel awkward to see her again.  Even though we emailed each other and "made up".  Thanks for all advice.

ANSWER: Here is a partial listing of the gifts that God gives to us:

1 Cor 12:7-11

7 Now to each one the manifestation of the Spirit is given for the common good. 8 To one there is given through the Spirit the message of wisdom, to another the message of knowledge by means of the same Spirit, 9 to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healing by that one Spirit, 10 to another miraculous powers, to another prophecy, to another distinguishing between spirits, to another speaking in different kinds of tongues, and to still another the interpretation of tongues.   11 All these are the work of one and the same Spirit, and he gives them to each one, just as he determines.(from New International Version)

Rom 12:6-8

6 We have different gifts, according to the grace given us. If a man's gift is prophesying, let him use it in proportion to his faith. 7 If it is serving, let him serve; if it is teaching, let him teach; 8 if it is encouraging, let him encourage; if it is contributing to the needs of others, let him give generously; if it is leadership, let him govern diligently; if it is showing mercy, let him do it cheerfully.(from New International Version)

I believe that even taking these two scripture together, there are other unnamed gifts which God gives.  For instance, some have received the gift of martyrdom: they were not afraid when they were put to death for their faith.

It may be that it is not the "season" for your gift to be used.  Maybe you are still being molded.   However, St. Paul speaks of the highest gift which we should all seek and practice:

1 Cor 12:27-13:8

27 Now you are the body of Christ, and each one of you is a part of it. 28 And in the church God has appointed first of all apostles, second prophets, third teachers, then workers of miracles, also those having gifts of healing, those able to help others, those with gifts of administration, and those speaking in different kinds of tongues. 29 Are all apostles? Are all prophets? Are all teachers? Do all work miracles? 30 Do all have gifts of healing? Do all speak in tongues? Do all interpret? 31 But eagerly desire the greater gifts. And now I will show you the most excellent way. 1 Corinthians 13 13:1 If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. 2 If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. 3 If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames, but have not love, I gain nothing. 4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. 8 Love never fails.(from New International Version)

Practice the gift of love with others; your own family, your fellow believers in Christ and those which need your love to know God.

The way of love that God wants us to follow is that kind which He has already shown to us....and which He even defined for us step by step in v. 4-7 above.

As you practice the gift of love,  another gift or gifts will be revealed to you.

If you have further questions for me, please begin with a new post.   Either my E-mail server or AllExperts is having a problem sending your message to me possibly because of its length.

Hello how are you?  I have a question about the pastors who are the "shepherd" of their flock.  Right?  I guess I'm very sad that my pastor has not called me or anything to see how my family is doing.  If someone stops coming to the church you would think the pastor would be concerned and call or something.  But is this true biblically that he is held accountable for us?  Or was he just a teacher and the Lord is our only Shepard?
Eddis

Postby enric » Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:12 am

If there is a need in your family for a meeting or visit with the pastor, then you should let him know this.  

Many church people in today's world do not attend church regularly and so it is difficult for the pastor to know if they are just too busy, taking an extended vacation or "shopping around" at other churches.    All these are comomon reasons for not attending their own church.

Heb 10:25

25 Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another-and all the more as you see the Day approaching.(from New International Version)  
enric

Return to Defamation Law