Not logged in? Join one of the bigest Law Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: Tips for Achieving an Amicable Divorce

Advertisments:

Sponsor Links:

Discount Legal Forms
Discounted Legal Texts

Gun laws? buying with out of state ID?

The law of the sea.

Postby archy » Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:03 pm

ok there seems to be a confusion, even between gun stores..Im in florida 3-6 months out of every year visiting mom, i am 25 and a permanent president of Indiana. In florida now and i have been in the market for a new shotgun or rifle, i know i cant buy a handgun in florida without being a resident here for 90 days. as i been browsing around gun shops in my area, one place tells me i CAN buy a long gun (shotgun, rifle) and the one i just left tonight says i CANNOT. which is accurate? i have been browsing but cannot find my specific answer. in online searches, either that or im just not understanding. please help

Note: i am not a dual resident. Just the average joe that wants a new hunting shotgun/rifle for christmas :)
archy

Postby hanan » Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:08 pm

Federal law says you can buy a long gun anywhere. As you stated and the idiot poster ignored, it's only handguns that require a state residency. States have their own laws. Like, some states say the dealer can only sell long rifles to state residents whose state borders theirs. I think Florida is one of them. I used internet dealers to buy two of mine. One shotgun and one pistol from a great east coast internet sites,. You only pay a FFL transfer fee of about $35 to a dealer near your home plus shipping and get good deals. You also don't have to worry about airlines.
hanan

Postby ammi » Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:16 pm

If Florida is one of those states, then yes. You might have had a guy who didn't know ask specifically about the neighbor state rules.
ammi

Postby vaiveatoish » Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:19 pm

@ Kyle Davis: If you didn't like CW's answer then why you picked him Best Answer with a 4/5 rating?
vaiveatoish

Postby mate » Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:31 pm

You might get better answers at the Yahoo Hunting site. At least they know gun laws.
mate

Postby reuben29 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:35 pm

Since you're a permanent resident of Indiana, you'd be far better off buying your handgun in Indiana.
reuben29

Postby andor25 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:45 pm

You cannot buy a firearm without valid in state iD.
andor25

Return to Maritime Law