Not logged in? Join one of the bigest Law Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: Tips for Achieving an Amicable Divorce

Advertisments:

Sponsor Links:

Discount Legal Forms
Discounted Legal Texts

Getting a job with misdemeanor retail theft record?

Corporate Law Discussions

Postby baigh » Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:16 pm

So here's the story, this incident happened in NJ last year. I took a few items from a retail store worth $20 and was charged with 'retail theft'. There were no cops involved and I got a letter not long after and paid about $100 in damages to the store. (I did not go to court either)
Needless to say I feel stupid about what I did.

I'm currently in college (third year) in the process of a getting an Economics degree, so I'll most definitely be looking at jobs related to business in general.

My question is, will this 'misdemeanor' prevent me from getting any jobs related to business? Also, is it possible for me to 'expunge' this misdemeanor from my record so that employers won't be able to see it??? Will a lawyer be able to expunge this record???

Anyone out there who went through this or anyone with knowledge on this matter, can you please tell me what to do???

Thanks for reading!!
baigh

Postby marmion » Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:21 pm

If you did not go to court then you should not have a misdemeanor on your record. If you were charged, pled guilty and had to pay a fine then it cannot be expunged from your record.
marmion

Postby josephus » Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:27 pm

You have no chance to getting a job in any financial institution due to your record with theft, You can kiss goodbye any gobs in banks, retail stores and in general, anywhere where is a cash register. You would be automatically disqualified,

Secondly, no, it cannot be "expunged" unless you were a minor (17 or under). So if you were 18 or older, it would be forever in your record.

You paying restitution IS admission if guilt. You are screwed. Same thing with a speeding ticket, you do not need to go to court, and paying the fine is considered admission of guilt.

Sorry
josephus

Postby jaren12 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:29 pm

Unless you were prosecuted and convicted you would have no record to be expunged.

I'm glad you learned you lesson. Stealing drives costs up for all customers.
jaren12

Postby link » Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:36 pm

You were not "charged."

When you are criminally charged, you are required to go to court and physically appear.

Without being criminally charged, you do NOT have a "misdemeanor retail theft record."

You were popped by store security. You received and paid a civil demand - which was smart because this is what kept you out of the court system.

There is nothing to "expunge." No information was entered into the criminal system.

COULD this information come back and bite you? Possibly. You have absolutely no confidentiality agreement with the store regarding your detention. So this COULD be information that a potential future employer could access - but it would not be readily available to random employers. (I would encourage you to avoid applying for jobs owned by or directly affiliated with the store that caught you.)
link

Return to Corporate Law