Welcome to Law-Forums.org!   

Advertisments:

Sponsor Links:

Discount Legal Forms
Discounted Legal Texts

Garage Liability

Been the victim of Legal Malpractice? Discuss it here.

Garage Liability

Postby DavidBowie » Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:20 pm

I'm trying to insure someone that is contracted as a mobile mechanic to do repairs in customers premises. It is a company that owns tractor, big rigs and so on. Is garage liability the correct coverage? If so will garage liability cover the insureds commercial vehicle for liability? Will it cover if insured is test driving customers vehicle?"
DavidBowie

Garage Liability

Postby Ingram » Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:35 pm

Hi Juan,

If I were an underwriter, I would probably prefer to write this type of risk using a CGL and BAC with the proper endorsements.  A garage policy would work for this risk providing the company has not adopted the 2003 ISO changes. Those changes basically make this risk...or any auto service/repair...ineligible for the GKLL policy. Some companies have adopted this rule change and some have not.

The CGL offer broader coverage for the premises/operations/products coverage than the GKLL policy does.  The stand-alone business auto is essentially the same...just a better use of symbols in my personal opinion. Since the CGL excludes auto-related coverage, you would need to make sure that the BAC either uses symbol 1 or symbol 9 to provide the coverage for test driving the vehicles of others.

In addition, you will need to endorse Garagekeepers Legal Liability on the business auto policy to provide the coverage for physical damage to the vehicles in the CCC of the mechanic.  

The garage policy, if available, will do all this in one policy form.  Just make sure you trigger the coverage with appropriate symbols. Again, the availability of this form will depend on the carrier you use.

Let me know if you have any additional questions.
Ingram

Return to Legal Malpractice