Advertisments:

Sponsor Links:

Discount Legal Forms
Discounted Legal Texts

From Paralegal Studies To Law School

Corporate Law Discussions

Postby Chase » Fri May 13, 2016 7:29 pm

Hello, I am 34 years old and will be graduating from American River Junior College(Sacramento, California) in 2007 with my A.A. in Paralegal Studies. I contribute it to be a late bloomer but I have a high GPA, and I love what I am studying. My junior college is not ABA accredited but the classes will trasnfer to Sacramento State for the Pre-Law Program there.  After junior college and aquiring a job in a law firm I plan to go to Law School. I can go to Lincoln Law School which only requires an A.A. degree, or I can go to Sacramento State obtain a B.A. in PreLaw and apply to the more prestigious University of the Pacific McGeorge Law School. I need to stay in Sacramento but because I'm older I'm torn between the two. Can you shed any light on how much a school's reputation will play a part on what I can expect coming out of either one? Will it depend mostly on my grades and how well I do in school? I keep telling myself it's not where I go to school but how I use the knowledge that's important. What do you think?

Thank you for your time. Respectfully,

Becky Stuto
Chase

Postby Schaddoc » Sat May 14, 2016 5:52 pm

Hello, I am 34 years old and will be graduating from American River Junior College(Sacramento, California) in 2007 with my A.A. in Paralegal Studies. I contribute it to be a late bloomer but I have a high GPA, and I love what I am studying. My junior college is not ABA accredited but the classes will trasnfer to Sacramento State for the Pre-Law Program there.  After junior college and aquiring a job in a law firm I plan to go to Law School. I can go to Lincoln Law School which only requires an A.A. degree, or I can go to Sacramento State obtain a B.A. in PreLaw and apply to the more prestigious University of the Pacific McGeorge Law School. I need to stay in Sacramento but because I'm older I'm torn between the two. Can you shed any light on how much a school's reputation will play a part on what I can expect coming out of either one? Will it depend mostly on my grades and how well I do in school? I keep telling myself it's not where I go to school but how I use the knowledge that's important. What do you think?

Thank you for your time. Respectfully,

Becky Stuto
Schaddoc

Postby Maitland » Tue May 17, 2016 9:12 am

To be honest I think that you really need to work in the legal field before you commit to Law School or making your major pre-law I say this only because if law school is your ultimate goal you are looking at a major expense at either school, including living expenses at the low end you will owe a minimum of $100,000 when you finish law school.  You therefore need to be sure that you really, really want to be a lawyer don't do what I did. I went to lawschool did fairly well, I was even offered a scholarship to McGeorge, and then I figured out that I hated the practice of law as an attorney.  At my first job my paralegal made three times more money than I did, and quit working for me to make even more money.  

I guess what I am trying to say is that you need to get experience before going to law school. Alot of experience, you need to become very professional, very trusted and you need to work your way up the ladder till you hit the cieling and then its time for law school. This will take a couple of years but you will get there.  I found out the hard way, nobody wants to hire an attorney right out of lawschool unless they have a ton of experience, then you get into the problem of how can I get the experience if I can't get a job.  Also it will be easier to get scholarships and recommendations and you will generally have an easier time in law school if you are allready part of the legal community which in Sacramento is very closeknit.

I have a friend who is also an attorney and he recently moved to Sacramento and then down to San Francisco so he told me all about the legal community up there.  Most Attorney's that work in firms in Sacramento either went to UC Davis or to McGeorge.  Lincoln grads are on the fence because if they have prior experience and some help from former employers or relatives they work in firms if they don't they stuggle for the most part working as solo practitioners.  

If I were you, I would do the following, having the luxury of hindsight.

1. make sure you enjoy working in the legal field and spend some time working in the field doing any kind of work even making copies and talk  to attorneys to see how they like it and what they would change about their jobs.

2. Try to get into a U.C. Davis, UC alum are the most respected and have the best jobs and best job prospects. Go back to JC and take extra classes if necessary to transfer to Davis, its an investment that will pay off.  Getting into Davis law school will your big payday.

3. After committing to becoming an attorney get as much experience as possible before starting lawschool.  The more experience the better your job prospects, check monster.com and craigslist, paralegal jobs outnumber attorney jobs 10 to one. I guess what I am trying to say is that if your good, it doesn't matter if your a paralegal or lawyer you'll get paid and in the end that is what it is all about.  

I personally would have never become a lawyer if I had followed my heart and quit the first day of orientation like I had wanted to.  But I couldn't break my parents heart, they always wanted one of their kids to become someone important, but I guess I should have followed my insticts because in the end it would have been better that there dreams be dashed than mine.

P.S. I didn't even know what law review was and how important it is to employers until after my first year exams but by then it was too late.  

Going to law school is gambling on your life, will you be the one who beats the odds or will you end up like the rest odds are you will end up like the rest.  

If you haven't figured it out by know I am trying to give you a way out. But if you are set on going do go to Davis and not Sac State because Sac State is mediocre I know I went to San Diego State. State schools are mediocre, at least if you go to Davis and decide not to go to law school your job prospects are much improved.  Only go to Sac State if your going to study accounting.  Plenty of jobs in the accounting field.    

If you want to know more you are welcome to email me at [email protected]

And if you want to go to lawschool I learned be it a little bit too late tips and tricks that can help you to succeed.
Maitland

Return to Corporate Law