Sponsor Links:

Discount Legal Forms
Discounted Legal Texts

Free To Remarry

The law of the sea.

Free To Remarry

Postby Krisoijn » Thu Nov 10, 2016 3:55 am

Thanks for answering my question.

If my ex wife had lied,falsified,or altered verbally or in writing the divorce documents filed with the state, and this was revealed at a later date, then the divorce would be declared invalid.  Any subsequent marriage would be invalid also. My not knowing the real circumstances would change nothing.  This is law where I reside. My point is... Is not Jehovah's law held to a equal or higher standard than Man's?

Facts are facts, I now know she lied about committing adultery,so I see no scriptural grounds for divorce, regardless of whether I knew she was lying or not.

Please advise me on a course of action or give me scriptural or a doctrinal basis for your answer.
Krisoijn

Free To Remarry

Postby Brighton » Mon Nov 14, 2016 6:25 pm

Thank you for your question.

You did not say if either you or your ex wife were/are JWs, so I will anwser as if you both are/were.

I understand from what you said that your wife claimed she had been unfaithful to you and the marriage vow.  That has lead to a divorce.  However since then you have evidence that she lied about being unfaithful. The first thing is that if she was  JW there would have been a judicial hearing and she would more than likely have been excommunicated for breaking the marriage vow. You did not say if your ex wife has remarried, but I think you are saying that neither of you have remarried  ..."Any subsequent marriage would be invalid also"...

If I understand you correctly the law of the land where you live would disallow the divorce if it was proven she lied.

Unfortunately I do not want to give a personal opinion on this but I have found a couple of articles that touch on the subject.  There are a lot of Biblical texts to look up to get a scriptural perspective, as well as what would happen in a situation where one was scriptually free to remarry but legally free I hope these are able to help, but first just a couple of text to give a basic overview

Matt. 19:8, 9: “[Jesus] said to them: ‘Moses, out of regard for your hardheartedness, made the concession to you of divorcing your wives, but such has not been the case from the beginning. I say to you that whoever divorces his wife, except on the ground of fornication [extramarital intercourse], and marries another commits adultery.’”..... So the innocent mate is permitted, but not required, to divorce a mate who commits “fornication.”

Rom. 7:2, 3: “A married woman is bound by law to her husband while he is alive ; but if her husband dies, she is discharged from the law of her husband. So, then, while her husband is living, she would be styled an adulteress if she became another man’s. But if her husband dies, she is free from his law, so that she is not an adulteress if she becomes another man’s.”

1 Cor. 6:9-11: “Do not be misled. Neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men kept for unnatural purposes, nor men who lie with men . . . will inherit God’s kingdom. And yet that is what some of you were. But you have been washed clean, but you have been sanctified, but you have been declared righteous in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ and with the spirit of our God.”..... This emphasizes the seriousness of the matter. Unrepentant adulterers will have no part in God’s Kingdom. Yet, people who formerly committed adultery, perhaps even improperly getting remarried, can gain God’s forgiveness and a clean standing with him if they are genuinely repentant and exercise faith in the sin-atoning value of Jesus’ sacrifice. *** tp chap. 13 p. 148 par. 16 Your View of Sex—What Difference Does It Make? ***

16 What if the laws of a land do not allow any divorce, even on the ground of sexual immorality? An innocent mate in such a case might be able to obtain a divorce in a country where divorce is permitted. Circumstances, of course, may not allow for this. But some form of legal separation may be available in one’s own country and could be sought. Whatever the case, the innocent mate could separate from the guilty one and present definite proof of Scriptural ground for divorce to the overseers in the local congregation of Jehovah’s Witnesses. What if that person were later to decide to take another mate? The congregation would not act to remove him as an adulterer if he provided the congregation with a written statement containing a vow of faithfulness to the present mate and an agreement to obtain a legal marriage certificate if the former marriage should be dissolved either legally or by death. Nevertheless, the individual would have to face whatever consequences might result as far as the world outside the congregation is concerned. For the world does not generally recognize that God’s law is superior to human laws and that human laws have only relative authority.—Compare Acts 5:29.

*** w77 3/15 pp. 179-185 Maintaining Marriage in Honor Before God and Men ***

DETERMINING THE VALIDITY OF MARRIAGE

12 Faced with such circumstances, what should the Christian do? He certainly cannot ignore the existing state of affairs if he desires his marriage to be honorable “among all.” He cannot ‘turn back the clock’ to the days when civil authorities were not viewed as an important factor in the validation of marriage. However, these questions arise: Is the decision of civil authorities to be viewed as absolute in determining whether a marriage is valid—either at its beginning or when it perhaps ends through divorce? To what extent is God affected by their decision?

13 In effect, do the civil authorities have the final word as to whether God accepts or rejects the validity of a marriage(or of a divorce)? We can see that if this were so there could be considerable inconsistency as to what is required to gain God’s blessing in marriage. Why? Because the views of civil authorities differ widely from place to place, often being at complete odds with one another and, more importantly, at times being in contradiction of the standards contained in the Bible.

14 In some lands, for example, polygamy is legally approved and each wife of a polygamist is viewed as legal and as having the same standing as any other of his wives. Christ Jesus and the inspired apostle Paul, however, showed that God’s standard is for a man to have only one wife.—Matt. 19:4, 5; 1 Cor. 7:2; 1 Tim. 3:2.

15 Also, some countries allow a person to divorce his mate on any number of grounds, at times for the slightest of reasons. Others, by contrast, do not recognize a person’s right to divorce his or her mate even on grounds of sexual infidelity and thus be free to remarry. The Bible, on the other hand, says that there is only one valid ground for divorce, namely, fornication, and it shows that those divorcing for such reason do become free to remarry.(Matt. 5:32; 19:3-9) Thus in some cases what the State approves, God disapproves, and in others what the State disallows, God allows.

16 The evidence, then, points to the fact that the civil state’s position in determining the validity of marriage(or divorce) is only relative, while that of God is absolute. To obtain a balanced view of the relative authority of the State(designated as “Caesar” in the Bible) in this matter, it is of benefit to consider just what interest civil governments have in the field of marriage, what they are particularly concerned with, and in what way the Christian can come under obligation toward them in this field.
Brighton

Free To Remarry

Postby Dugall » Tue Nov 15, 2016 4:00 pm

Thanks for answering my question.

If my ex wife had lied,falsified,or altered verbally or in writing the divorce documents filed with the state, and this was revealed at a later date, then the divorce would be declared invalid.  Any subsequent marriage would be invalid also. My not knowing the real circumstances would change nothing.  This is law where I reside. My point is... Is not Jehovah's law held to a equal or higher standard than Man's?

Facts are facts, I now know she lied about committing adultery,so I see no scriptural grounds for divorce, regardless of whether I knew she was lying or not.

Please advise me on a course of action or give me scriptural or a doctrinal basis for your answer.
Dugall

Return to Maritime Law