Advertisments:

Sponsor Links:

Discount Legal Forms
Discounted Legal Texts

Forced To Work Longer Than Scheduled Shift

Discuss Labor Laws

Postby Caldwiella » Thu Nov 17, 2016 5:18 am

I work for a private ambulance service in Tennessee, we are the emergency provider for the county in addition we run non emergency calls(hospital discharges etc.)  every shift we are held over 1-6 hours to run non emergency calls  because we are short staffed,  i already work a 12 hour shift , today we were dispatched on a non emergency call 15 min prior to the end of our shift,with another unit available to take the call, i refused because i had to pay rent before the office closed. they suspended me and told me they could keep me there as log as they wanted because our county has no union and i have no rights is this legal?
Caldwiella

Postby Gower » Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:04 am

It is true that you must work the hours that the company asks you to work. Since you work with injured people and had already worked a 12 hour shift, I would think that it could be a safety hazard to send you out again. Since you must work the hours that you are given I would suggest you call OSHA and ask about working the extra hours being a safety hazard to the injured that you care for because after 12 hours you are already worn out.http://www.osha.gov/

TO REPORT ACCIDENTS, UNSAFE WORKING CONDITIONS, OR SAFETY & HEALTH VIOLATIONS:

Contact the OSHA Office nearest you, see map of offices, or, contact our toll free number: 1-800-321-OSHA(6742)... TTY 1-877-889-5627.

TO OBTAIN A COMPLAINT FORM, locate information regarding your rights and obligations as a worker, locate information about your employer's rights and obligations, or to file an OSHA-7 report online, see the OSHA Workers' Page. Shirley

Shirley
Gower

Postby Najam » Sun Nov 20, 2016 2:45 am

I work for a private ambulance service in Tennessee, we are the emergency provider for the county in addition we run non emergency calls(hospital discharges etc.)  every shift we are held over 1-6 hours to run non emergency calls  because we are short staffed,  i already work a 12 hour shift , today we were dispatched on a non emergency call 15 min prior to the end of our shift,with another unit available to take the call, i refused because i had to pay rent before the office closed. they suspended me and told me they could keep me there as log as they wanted because our county has no union and i have no rights is this legal?
Najam

Return to Labor Laws