Sponsor Links:

Discount Legal Forms
Discounted Legal Texts

Fined for not wearing seatbelt?

Been involved in a traffic accident? Discuss traffic laws here

Postby fiacre68 » Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:05 pm

hi there
i have just been stopped for not wearing my seat belt and given a fixed penalty for 60 pounds but the officer in question has no video evidence of me not wearing it and when he stopped me i was wearing it as i put it on when i saw him he didnt see me doing this also he
didnt ask me for my licence
stopped me on the hard shoulder and asked me to exit my hgv with oncoming traffic coming at me at 70 to 80mph
told me i wasnt wearing my seat belt and when i said i was and had it on when i stopped me he said it was his word against mine
is there anything in this information that i could use to have this ticket quashed?
thanks
fiacre68

Postby akule76 » Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:09 pm

You have the right to have a trial and allow a judge or jury to decide your guilt or nonguilt.

You can attend court on the day and accept a plea to a lesser offense.

That's about it
akule76

Postby ricard83 » Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:16 pm

Yeah, just show up to court. That is the problem with the new laws against seatbelt offenses, it is always the word of the officer against the driver and there is pretty much no way to prove that. Besides that, most officers are not available for over half the tickets that they write and unless it is a huge offense, he wont be at your court hearing either. I know enoug hpolice officers to know this to hold true. Just show up to the court hearing.
ricard83

Postby tredway » Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:24 pm

Pay your fine, you will lose. Cops are trained to look for seat-belts...or more accurately, the absence of a shoulder belt. Judge will believe the cop, and you're admitting you lied.
tredway

Postby chason62 » Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:33 pm

How do you think convictions were secured before video evidence?

Grow up and take it like a man.
chason62

Postby dacy17 » Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:46 pm

No,you can't wriggle out of it if he saw you without your belt on. If you fight it and camera evidence is produced at a later date,you will be fined some more for wasting police time. Just pay it and make sure you put your belt on before taking to the road.
dacy17

Postby eliot » Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:47 pm

It may be the officer's word against yours, but we know he's telling the truth and you're a lying ratbag.

So pay up, and stop trying to cheat your way through life.
eliot

Postby chika » Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:02 pm

You should have been wearing your seat-belt.
I know that you probably wont listen, but you should have been wearing your seat-belt.

There's a law that means that you can be fined for not wearing it.
Not wearing your seat-belt is both dangerous and against the law.
chika

Postby calvert » Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:08 pm

You should have been wearing your seat-belt.
I know that you probably wont listen, but you should have been wearing your seat-belt.

There's a law that means that you can be fined for not wearing it.
Not wearing your seat-belt is both dangerous and against the law.
The cop saw you without a seat belt on,just pay the fine,if you go to court you will lose,the magistrates always believe the police,the fine will be higher and in any case you were driving without a seat belt!!! you do realise that if you braked suddenly you probably would have gone through your windscreen!
calvert

Postby aenedleah10 » Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:16 pm

You wouldn't also be drunk, would you?
First of all you admit your guilt, secondly you admit lying to the policeman, thirdly you say you were stopped on the hard shoulder, therefore you must have been on a dual carriageway or motorway so how could there have been oncoming traffic anywhere near you.
I would bet that there will be plenty of camera's along the route you had taken which will show you without your seat belt so man-up, take your punishment and stop trying to wriggle out of it.
For you to have any chance of getting away with it you would have to prove that the policeman had something personal against you and since I assume that neither of you know each other then that is not a possibility. Unless, of course, you want to lie about that also.
As regards him not asking for your licence, it is not an endorsable offence although he could and probably should have checked that your licence was legal and also check your insurance details as well as road tax, tyres etc.
So think yourself lucky that you got off so lightly.
aenedleah10

Next

Return to Traffic Law